News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Europa Universalis IV announced

Started by Octavian, August 10, 2012, 10:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KwangTiger

Seems like people in this thread like it but any consensus on whether the game is worth it now or is it still wait a few months for patches + mods + whatever? Was big into Eu2 back in the day and even thought V:R was OK once all was said and done but haven't really Paradoxed since.

garbon

It is fun now but yes things will be fixed/revised in the future.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Habbaku

It's fun, but it's a Paradox game.  There's a good chunk of stuff that needs ironing out.  If you're not giddy to play immediately, just wait on a sale and several patches/the first expansion.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

HVC

Playing as an Poland and allied to Austria. Wasn't really paying attention to the war being waged with Denmark because I had some rebel problems. Then Austria went ahead and accepted peace and removed Moldovia as my vassal <_<
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Anatron

Quote from: HVC on August 27, 2013, 09:25:22 PM
Playing as an Poland and allied to Austria. Wasn't really paying attention to the war being waged with Denmark because I had some rebel problems. Then Austria went ahead and accepted peace and removed Moldovia as my vassal <_<

When a war begins remove the "Leader may negitoate" option from the war screen than the leader of your alliance can not offer your lands for the enemy as peace deal.

Viking

Quote from: HVC on August 27, 2013, 09:25:22 PM

Thats one of my house rules, alway keep that box ticked.
The others are keep the force limits and no gold farming.

As for the game. I now lose wars. Austria went to war with me as denmark and spanked me around. I had been beelining ADM 10 and had a mil tree partially finished so was behind on mil tech. My broken armies ran for the sund, so I wasn't under threat of being killed, but I was losing. So, before I lose the army, or my WE hit 20 or or my manpower dropped to 0 I surrendered. I gave a truck load of cash, released gotland and unvassalized hamburg (with its 10 trade power bonus). This is something I would never have done in an earlier version of the game. The AI had a way to beat me and despite my player goodness I had no real way of stopping it. Losing that war was best in the long run. The positive side effects were that I stayed alive. And incidentally was able to commit to the war against hesse which had dragged in a whole bunch of rhine electors. Once that war was over the next emperor was protestant - Richard III of England - and he got Austria to convert to protestantism.

I also like that I'm not constantly at +3 stability. In the older versions you just pay money for stability and stability gives you more money. Now you pay ADM for stability and stability don't give you no ADM. No virtuous circle here. If you don't need the cash and you can put down the revolts you don't need that +3 stability.

So far I think this game is excellent and imho the best out of the box paradox game so far.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Tamas

Quote from: KwangTiger on August 27, 2013, 07:52:36 PM
Seems like people in this thread like it but any consensus on whether the game is worth it now or is it still wait a few months for patches + mods + whatever? Was big into Eu2 back in the day and even thought V:R was OK once all was said and done but haven't really Paradoxed since.

Who the fuck are you?

Syt

Quote from: garbon on August 27, 2013, 06:02:09 PM
Fanbois...

Even IGN handed out 8.9 (for comparison: they gave 7.3 to Saints Row IV which was scored very high by many other sites).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Well to be fair I played the hell out of it for days, it takes time to realise the (few) glaring issues like grain being the ultimate trade product of the world, or the gold-farming of tribals.

It IS a great game, and can only get better with patches and DLCs. Unless Paradox listens to it`s fans. :P Srsly take a look at their 1.02 wishlist thread. It is CHOKE FULL of either the most retarded balkantardism, or shit about not being able to beat the crap out of the game at their first try due to a feature, and then demanding that they remove said feature. It is truly horrible to look at.

Viking

It is 1575 and the God King of Scandinavia and Duke of Munchen and Konstanz (yes, my march is in bavaria) is Christian II von Wittelsbach 4 5 5 stats and as a general 3.3.3.3

He is the best ruler I have had in the game so far (though I did see a french 6 6 6 in a non-lucky game) and probably the most versatile general I have had in the game as well. His primary virtue is his ascencion at age 14 and his blatant refusal to die, even when his imbecile son was still alive. Christian created Scandinavia on day 1 of his reign (to give me as much time as possible to capture all the claims) and has since pushed a 1 province deep line from the eastern swedish border into novgorod and taken the coast down to kurland. In germany he he hasn't gone conquering, but rather has been turning the religious map blue. The great protestant axis along the rhein from  Munchen and Konstanz in the south to Protestant Archbishopric of Köln (which has gone on a bit of a conquering spree, which is only sped up by Scandinavian armies wiping out their opposition) has expanded in all directions and the protestant zone which consisted of these three cities plus the mainland danish possession of holstein and lubeck were the only protestant areas of germany. Now pretty much every single german state north of the alps has been force converted at some point, protesants from Bohemia and Britain have been the emperors during this period. Now protestants own all of the HRE north of the alps except Pommerania, Saxony and Northern Bavaria.

His most genius move, however, was, like a latter day Trajan, to adopt an heir, just as he was adopted. His heir, a 6 4 5 is a latter day Stupor Mundi. Scandia Victrix!

BTW, danish ideas rock, especially the anti-atheist one...

Edit: Army tradition at 99.4 (well, I have been fighting germans for 4 decades now) and my 645 heir is gonna try to become a general... 6.1.0.3 ffs, useless fighter, genius mover and sieger. Not as good as "daddy", but as Timur the Lame said (according to a Rome Total War splash screen) "'tis better to be on time with 10 men than late with 10,000" time to put that proposition to the test.

Combat width at 15, so 15 inf, 15 art and 2 cav in my doomstack.

Edit 2: it seems that mere presence and/or artillery superiority really craps on the enemy morale. I've been annoyed at how suddenly half my morale disappears in battles. Now that I control the baltic trade and can fund my artillery I see the same thing happening to the ai. Perhaps it is a "fright factor" I didn't know about.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Monoriu

I am pleasantly surprised.  The game is playable on release.  Sure, there are a lot of balancing issues and minor bugs.  But at least there are no crashes and no game stopping bugs.  I remember HoI 1, where I built a few panther divisions in 1938 and conquered the world.  I remember EU2, where crashes happened every half hour or so. 

Anatron

Wow byzantium on iromman hard is a short campaign.
The Turks annexed me on 1447.  :cry:

Annexation of a player is new to me.

garbon

Quote from: Syt on August 28, 2013, 03:54:44 AM
Fanbois...

Even IGN handed out 8.9 (for comparison: they gave 7.3 to Saints Row IV which was scored very high by many other sites).

I just meant based on their commentary in the blurb you quoted. I don't think EUIV defines the genre of grand strategy nor does it hook you in from moment one.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Quote from: garbon on August 28, 2013, 09:18:23 AM
Quote from: Syt on August 28, 2013, 03:54:44 AM
Fanbois...

I just meant based on their commentary in the blurb you quoted. I don't think EUIV defines the genre of grand strategy nor does it hook you in from moment one.

Yeah, he goes a bit far. My point was more that this wasn't just an outlier.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

I think I am going to restart my Russia game and try to only take take provinces that are war goals and try not to fabricate any titles.  I seem to spend an inordinate amount of time waiting for various coalitions against me to disband and I wonder if I would have made faster progress if I had used this strategy instead.