News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Europa Universalis IV announced

Started by Octavian, August 10, 2012, 10:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

My Venice game was interesting.  I made the mistake of not going with naval ideas first, which meant that in my first couple of wars with the Ottomans, they could blockade the lagoon with impunity.  That's never a good situation to be in as Venice, to say the least.  Eventually I made up for the mistake and built an unbeatable naval force, and coupled with relative disinterest in me from the Ottomans during the most dangerous times, I managed to slowly grow in power and eat into Italy.  Eventually the Ottomans regretted leaving me alone, I'm sure.  The other powers that didn't leave me alone regretted it too.   :menace:

This was definitely the most fun I've ever had playing SP EU games.  I almost lasted for the whole game span, until with 40 years to go slaughtering the French at will got old.

Alcibiades

Yeah I did a Venice game as well, was really tough.  I went naval ideas first but didn't build an unstoppable galley fleet until later on which was painful when the Ottomans would park 70 galleys off Venice. 

Eventually held out between that and Austria coming after me every 10 years and formed Italy and colonized most of Africa and into the spice islands.
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

DGuller

Quote from: Alcibiades on August 25, 2013, 11:50:05 AM
Yeah I did a Venice game as well, was really tough.  I went naval ideas first but didn't build an unstoppable galley fleet until later on which was painful when the Ottomans would park 70 galleys off Venice. 

Eventually held out between that and Austria coming after me every 10 years and formed Italy and colonized most of Africa and into the spice islands.
I decided to skip the colonization, as I find it boring, and opted instead to turn Italy into a military state like Prussia, with four military ideas and discipline of 140%.  I did take most of the Balkans and convert them to Lombardian culture, and I built up pretty much every province.  I've had more money than I could possibly use just from the stock exchanges and Mediterranean trade.

Alcibiades

Yeah it's pretty ridiculous. Quit around 1720, a friend was playing as France, had 320k manpower and was bringing in 290 income a month.  Stupid money that I had nothing to do with.

Never moved towards the Balkans, just took Southern Greece and the coast, the provinces are garbage.....much like real life.   :P
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

DGuller

Quote from: Alcibiades on August 25, 2013, 06:48:03 PM
Yeah it's pretty ridiculous. Quit around 1720, a friend was playing as France, had 320k manpower and was bringing in 290 income a month.  Stupid money that I had nothing to do with.

Never moved towards the Balkans, just took Southern Greece and the coast, the provinces are garbage.....much like real life.   :P
Provinces being garbage may not be a bad thing in a certain situations.  Garbage provinces take less of everything to fully integrate, and when built up Kosovo isn't that much worse than Lombardia.  If you have monarch points and money to spare, Balkan garbage is a better deal than prime Italian real estate.

Alcibiades

Not financially or manpower wise.

"Not much" must be extremely relative here..... and not sure to what.

Just not seeing that catch up with Lombardia....or any of the Northern Italian provinces.  Just saying.

:hmm:

DGuller

In my game, in 1796, the total income from Lombardia, with base tax of 17, is 86d.  The total income from Lika, with base tax of 1, is 42d.  Both have mints and stock exchange, and everything else built up to level 4.  Sure, Lombardia brings in twice the income of Lika, but there are plenty of shit provinces like Lika that could be taken from the rotting Ottomans five at a time.  On the other hand, there is only a handful of provinces like Lombardia, and trying to take them can set off quite a shit storm.

Ed Anger

SERB KOSOVO IS STRONG, LIKE BULL. KOSOVO IS SERB, YOU DUMMY.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DGuller

I actually chuckled when I saw Kosovo with a Serbian culture.  I bet some Kosovar is slaughtering a village or two as we speak raging over such slight.

Queequeg

Quote from: DGuller on August 25, 2013, 09:06:03 PM
I actually chuckled when I saw Kosovo with a Serbian culture.  I bet some Kosovar is slaughtering a village or two as we speak raging over such slight.
It's historically accurate, though. Albanians in the region are one of a million awful legacies of the Ottoman period. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Anatron

That war ended 14 years ago.

DGuller

Quote from: Anatron on August 26, 2013, 12:22:25 AM

That war ended 14 years ago.
I didn't say there was a war there.

Monoriu

Bought the game.  I always play Portugal in EU games.  Still trying to figure out how trade works. 

Tamas

Meh, I was merrily PU-ing myself into supremacy as Austria, when one reform from hereditary HRE, Bavaria takes over the emperorship (I had a young heir, not eligible). And the fucker had the hereditary reform voted. I triggered war between us (through his ally Poland), obliterated Bavaria, forced him to revoke the last reform and... nothing. The reform is revoked but the HRE is still hereditary.

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.