News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Europa Universalis IV announced

Started by Octavian, August 10, 2012, 10:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbr

Yeah, I know in EU3 I didn't start building artillery for at least 100 years or so.

Anatron

Quote from: Alcibiades on August 31, 2013, 12:17:55 PM
You don't need it early, for battles. 

Theres a tech that increases artillery fire by a significant amount.  Usually when its worth getting, but they dont do much before that.

Sieges run faster with artillery.
Later when it become stronger I use like 10 000 arty in the main army.

Liep

I was wondering why the Papal State would call me to war as I had recently converted to protestantism. I searched for them on the map and it turned out it was a protestant OPM in Hannover. Yeah.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Alcibiades

Quote from: Anatron on August 31, 2013, 01:17:56 PM

Theres a tech that increases artillery fire by a significant amount.  Usually when its worth getting, but they dont do much before that.

Which is why I said you don't need it for battles?    :huh:
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Viking

Quote from: Alcibiades on August 31, 2013, 06:42:26 PM

If you go over the combat width for a battle you want artillery period. Even a small force with artillery support can hold a mountain pass quite effectively and murderously. Artillery has become highly effective well before combat width in open terrain reaches 30. With stacking limits in most places at that time being about 60, the number of pieces the ideal army has suggests itself. Even one artillery piece in a large battle can open a single breach in the line where more and more units get flanking attack in. Remember, the art doesn't just shoot, it also adds half it's defense pips to the defending unit.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Anatron

Quote from: Alcibiades on August 31, 2013, 06:42:26 PM

According my experience arty can be same useful as cavalry in combat.Without artillery support I suffer higher casulties in combat.
Also when you have more arty you do more damage thats why easier to annihilate armies.If you check the AI armies they also keep at least 10k arty in their main army.

The ratios what I use fr army setup:

In a small army: 10/5/1
A middle size army: 15~20/10/5
Tha main army: 25~40/15~20/10

Solmyr

Does arty move slower than infantry, though?

Anatron

Quote from: Solmyr on September 01, 2013, 09:36:34 AM
Does arty move slower than infantry, though?

Off course,thats the disadvantage.

Alcibiades

Slower and they do almost no damage early on.  Not worth 3x the price and are pretty useless early on, except for sieging. 
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Tamas

Quote from: Alcibiades on September 01, 2013, 02:03:58 PM
Slower and they do almost no damage early on.  Not worth 3x the price and are pretty useless early on, except for sieging.

Read what Dguller (or Berkut?) wrote? they can be quite important

Queequeg

I think they're pretty crucial fighting early deathstacks.  I just fought an ahistorically epic war against the Ottomans as Russia in about 1510 and did way better than I expected to in part because I kept a huge army with a large artillery contingent behind the lines ready to match any big Ottoman army.  They just tear them to pieces. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

DGuller

Quote from: Queequeg on September 01, 2013, 02:31:57 PM
I think they're pretty crucial fighting early deathstacks.  I just fought an ahistorically epic war against the Ottomans as Russia in about 1510 and did way better than I expected to in part because I kept a huge army with a large artillery contingent behind the lines ready to match any big Ottoman army.  They just tear them to pieces.
I think the priority is to fill out your combat width first, and then fill out the second row.  If you did fill the front row, though, then filling out the second row with arties does help a lot, even tech 7 arty.  If nothing else, your front line troops would outlast some of the enemy front like troops, and then the rest get flanked even if they weren't flanked before.

DGuller

I did my first Westernization in my Yemen game.  I read about the new Westernization mechanic, and I thought I was prepared for the massive rebellions to come, but I did not expect what I did get.  Which was nothing remotely bad at all.  :yawn:  Apart from a couple of totally insignificant revolts spawned by events, I was just waiting and watching the admin power counter slowly tick up.

DGuller

Another advantage of artillery at any level is that it seems to buy you time when you are outmatched, and need to keep your army after a whooping.  It's very hard to stackwipe someone on first contact, when both sides are at full strength and morale, if they have any artillery, because at the very least it takes one extra phase for the enemy to get to it.  However, if all you have is infantry and cavalry, and you're outflanked, you can easily lose your whole army and suffer devastating casualty ratios.

dps

Quote from: Alcibiades on September 01, 2013, 02:03:58 PM

It'll upgrade automatically later, so if you have the money early on, build it in case you don't have the money later on.