News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Hobbit to become a trilogy

Started by Solmyr, July 30, 2012, 10:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on July 30, 2012, 03:47:33 PM
I am astonished the people think the problems with The Lord of the Rings movies were due to editing!  :huh:

The problem was with the writing (hobbits bouncing on beds, green slime people, Aragorn's story completely fucked up, elves at Helm's Deep, orcs attacking fortifications with pikes at Helm's Deep, horses riding down vertical walls, etc).  The editing wasn't brilliant, but it was competent, and good editing would be hard to do for such a complex story.

The only real editing blunder I saw was including all that silly stuff with Aragorn falling off the cliff, and then excluding the end of the Sauraman story.   The editors got their priorities wrong, there.

I pointed out two parts - I didn't need. Frodo-Sam mooney eyes and hobbits in bed. Editing could have removed both of those even if the scenes had been written and filmed.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: garbon on July 30, 2012, 04:05:23 PM
Quote from: grumbler on July 30, 2012, 03:47:33 PM
I am astonished the people think the problems with The Lord of the Rings movies were due to editing!  :huh:

The problem was with the writing (hobbits bouncing on beds, green slime people, Aragorn's story completely fucked up, elves at Helm's Deep, orcs attacking fortifications with pikes at Helm's Deep, horses riding down vertical walls, etc).  The editing wasn't brilliant, but it was competent, and good editing would be hard to do for such a complex story.

The only real editing blunder I saw was including all that silly stuff with Aragorn falling off the cliff, and then excluding the end of the Sauraman story.   The editors got their priorities wrong, there.

I pointed out two parts - I didn't need. Frodo-Sam mooney eyes and hobbits in bed. Editing could have removed both of those even if the scenes had been written and filmed.
There was also what the did to Arwen; turning Gondor - particularly Denethor - into crap; the whole giant eye thing; the ghosts and the corsairs...
PDH!

garbon

Well presumably on the ghosts, they'd spent some decent budget animating those - so I can understand if it wasn't okay to edit them away.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on July 30, 2012, 04:31:58 PM
Well presumably on the ghosts, they'd spent some decent budget animating those - so I can understand if it wasn't okay to edit them away.

:lol: That was the same problem with Star Trek: The Motion Picture, among other things:  WE SPENT A GAZILLION DOLLARS ON THIS PARTICULAR SET MODEL ITS GOTTA GET 4 MINUTES OF FILM TIME

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 30, 2012, 04:34:48 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 30, 2012, 04:31:58 PM

:lol: That was the same problem with Star Trek: The Motion Picture, among other things:  WE SPENT A GAZILLION DOLLARS ON THIS PARTICULAR SET MODEL ITS GOTTA GET 4 MINUTES OF FILM TIME

Yeah seems like things like that could get more politically heated in discussions for removal. Hobbits playing in bed? Not so much. :D

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on July 30, 2012, 04:44:40 PM
Yeah seems like things like that could get more politically heated in discussions for removal. Hobbits playing in bed? Not so much. :D

Marti the exec producer would be all like, "The hairy toes bedroom scene stays in the picture!"

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on July 30, 2012, 04:05:23 PM

I don't think Hobbits in bed was in the edited version.  Dunno what "Frodo-Sam Mooney eyes" is, so I'm not sure whether that was in the edited version or not.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on July 30, 2012, 04:30:36 PM
There was also what the did to Arwen; turning Gondor - particularly Denethor - into crap; the whole giant eye thing; the ghosts and the corsairs...

I think that was writing, not editing.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on July 30, 2012, 04:57:34 PM
I don't think Hobbits in bed was in the edited version.  Dunno what "Frodo-Sam Mooney eyes" is, so I'm not sure whether that was in the edited version or not.

I already said what it was early in this thread. The unnecessary seen of Frodo and Sam chilling on Mount Doom - essentially professing their gay love for one another...which then was oddly book-ended by Sam suddenly getting married. :D

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on July 30, 2012, 04:58:36 PM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on July 30, 2012, 04:30:36 PM

I think that was writing, not editing.

Yes and no. I mean editing can hide some of the writing if only because it literally removes the presence of what was written. Arwen/Gondor though, without specifics from Wags, do indeed strike me as writing that editing couldn't help.

Ed Anger

King Kong is the greatest movie EVER. Fact.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 30, 2012, 05:02:50 PM
King Kong is the greatest movie EVER. Fact.

Fuck Charles Grodin, man.  Fag.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on July 30, 2012, 05:00:53 PM
I already said what it was early in this thread. The unnecessary seen of Frodo and Sam chilling on Mount Doom - essentially professing their gay love for one another...which then was oddly book-ended by Sam suddenly getting married. :D

Didn't see that version of the movie.

But the scene after they escape from the lava could have been cut in half.  It had to be there, to show you that Frodo lived, but it didn't need so much exposition.

Bayraktar!

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on July 30, 2012, 05:08:19 PM
Didn't see that version of the movie.

But the scene after they escape from the lava could have been cut in half.  It had to be there, to show you that Frodo lived, but it didn't need so much exposition.

Good for you. No idea what you saw though.