News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Hobbit to become a trilogy

Started by Solmyr, July 30, 2012, 10:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

I enjoyed Avatar. More than the LOTR movies in fact. It flowed better, was easier to take in one sitting, despite similar length.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

dps

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 30, 2012, 05:04:02 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on July 30, 2012, 05:02:50 PM
King Kong is the greatest movie EVER. Fact.

Fuck Charles Grodin, man.  Fag.

To be fair, he may not have meant that version.  Perhaps you should be telling him to fuck Robert Armstrong or Jack Black instead.

Siege

Quote from: Razgovory on July 30, 2012, 11:41:36 AM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on July 30, 2012, 11:32:44 AM
Quote from: garbon on July 30, 2012, 10:58:54 AM
Yes because bloat and lack of efficient editing is a positive? Color me skeptical.
I agree with him. garbon is right.

Yes.  Sometime less is more.  The theatrical version of Return of the King could have used some trimming.  For instance it didn't need 5 endings or a green cloud of ghosts.

Less is more? Are you fucking Obama?

Yeay for the trilogy, yeay for free enterprise in cinema.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Razgovory

Quote from: Siege on July 30, 2012, 07:51:18 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 30, 2012, 11:41:36 AM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on July 30, 2012, 11:32:44 AM
Yes because bloat and lack of efficient editing is a positive? Color me skeptical.
I agree with him. garbon is right.

Yes.  Sometime less is more.  The theatrical version of Return of the King could have used some trimming.  For instance it didn't need 5 endings or a green cloud of ghosts.

Yeay for the trilogy, yeay for free enterprise in cinema.

No, I'm not engaged in sex with the President.  Don't be stupid.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

If you had a little economy with your posts, we'd all do better.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

dps

Quote from: garbon on July 30, 2012, 07:53:48 PM

If you had a little economy with your posts, we'd all do better.

Economy?  Heck, if he had a little sanity with his posts, we'd all do better.

Sheilbh

Yep.  And those problems have never afflicted Jackson films before :bleeding:

This may end up as another part of my argument why fanboys shouldn't be allowed near adaptations. 

Strip it back to its barebones and make it cinematically compelling.

Admittedly my dream version of LOTR would've been like a Hobbit 'The Road'...:mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

I'm not sure if a movie where Frodo and Sam starve to death five miles outside of the shire would be that compelling.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Quote from: dps on July 30, 2012, 07:57:41 PM
Economy?  Heck, if he had a little sanity with his posts, we'd all do better.

If Siege was lucid, he wouldn't be so funny.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Monoriu

Quote from: garbon on July 30, 2012, 05:00:53 PM
Quote from: grumbler on July 30, 2012, 04:57:34 PM
I don't think Hobbits in bed was in the edited version.  Dunno what "Frodo-Sam Mooney eyes" is, so I'm not sure whether that was in the edited version or not.

I already said what it was early in this thread. The unnecessary seen of Frodo and Sam chilling on Mount Doom - essentially professing their gay love for one another...which then was oddly book-ended by Sam suddenly getting married. :D

Pretty sure there was a very early scene showing that Sam was interested in the girl.  I didn't get the feeling that there was any gay love between Sam and Frodo.

Can anyone enlighten me as to what is wrong with hobbits jumping on a bed :unsure:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: dps on July 30, 2012, 07:43:28 PM

To be fair, he may not have meant that version.  Perhaps you should be telling him to fuck Robert Armstrong or Jack Black instead.

He knows what he did.  He left an opening.

Queequeg

QuoteAdmittedly my dream version of LOTR would've been like a Hobbit 'The Road'.
:lmfao:
Worth it just for the scene where Frodo and Sam discover the half-eaten baby.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

grumbler

Quote from: Monoriu on July 30, 2012, 08:41:22 PM
Pretty sure there was a very early scene showing that Sam was interested in the girl.  I didn't get the feeling that there was any gay love between Sam and Frodo.

You probably saw the version I saw, not the one garbo saw (or thinks he saw).

QuoteCan anyone enlighten me as to what is wrong with hobbits jumping on a bed :unsure:

It was unnecessary, long, and rather painfully filmed.  The film would have been better if they had never filmed it, or if they ignored the fact that they had filmed it.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 30, 2012, 08:46:55 PM
Quote from: dps on July 30, 2012, 07:43:28 PM

He knows what he did.  He left an opening.

:yes:

I made a Tim joke, Seedy slipped Grodin in.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Faeelin

Incidentally, did anyone find the movie's version of the Misty Mountain song to be wrong? I pictured it as a fast-paced tune the dwarves sang while putting away dishes, not some funeral dirge.