And we're back!

Main Menu

The Hobbit to become a trilogy

Started by Solmyr, July 30, 2012, 10:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: grumbler on July 30, 2012, 12:01:02 PM
Quote from: Faeelin on July 30, 2012, 11:39:35 AM
I know the plan is to add stuff from the LOTR Appendices, but a Gandalf romance? Fighting Sauron in Mirkwood? It just seems silly.

Don't know anything about a "Gandalf romance" but the Battle of Dol Guldur is from the books.

My concern isn't that there is enough material to make three movies.  My concern is that making these into three movies might make Jackson more inclined to include some of his disastrous and silly "additions."  His wife "gets" Tolkien; Jackson does not.
This.  Driving The Necromancer out of Dol Guldur was in the books, though I don't know that it was a hugeass battle to the death, as it'll likely get turned into here. I had issues with a lot of Jackson's interpretations from Lord of the Rings.  This was a childrens' book, and not a long one.  A lot of it was part travelogue too.  Hard to turn it into an eight hour cinematic epic.
PDH!

crazy canuck

Quote from: dps on July 30, 2012, 11:24:06 AM
Just going by the source material, Lord of the Rings was a much bigger work than The Hobbit, so I'm not sure the fact that the former could support a trilogy means that the latter can as well.

A lot of the material in the Lord of the Rings didnt make it onto the screen and some of it was oversimplified to the point of stupidity - the infamous green blob.

There is a lot of material in the Hobbit to draw from.  Not as much as the Lord of the Rings I agree.  But this way, hopefully he is able to stay more true to the source material rather than putting his own interpretation on things as he squeezes it into a two hour movie.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tonitrus on July 30, 2012, 11:46:36 AM
If the LotR series did anything for me, it is that it has turned me off to almost all modern films.  At least, the drama/action ones.  They pretty much all just seem way over-the-top, or like they're always trying too hard to please an audience that has "seen it all".  Or pandering to mindless fanboys/girls.

I find myself returning more to the quaint simplicity of older, classic films.  :sleep:

LOTR fanboiism aside, I didn't feel that way until Avatar, actually.  That's the one that did it.

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 30, 2012, 12:40:58 PM
If the LotR series did anything for me, it is that it has turned me off to almost all modern films.  At least, the drama/action ones.  They pretty much all just seem way over-the-top, or like they're always trying too hard to please an audience that has "seen it all".  Or pandering to mindless fanboys/girls.

I find myself returning more to the quaint simplicity of older, classic films.  :sleep:

LOTR fanboiism aside, I didn't feel that way until Avatar, actually.  That's the one that did it.

Glad I missed that one.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Razgovory on July 30, 2012, 12:45:51 PM

Glad I missed that one.
Word.
PDH!

Scipio

What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 30, 2012, 01:26:45 PM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on July 30, 2012, 12:57:46 PM
Glad I missed that one.
Word.

Didn't miss much.
Struck me as just another tawdry melodrama like Titanic with lot's of expensive eyecandy overlaying it.
PDH!

Razgovory

Looked like "dances with blue cat aliens", to me.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on July 30, 2012, 01:59:48 PM
Looked like "dances with blue cat aliens", to me.

Yup.  The Last Samurai against Teh Evul Environment Raping Mega Interstellar Bain Capital Corporation(tm):  who I would normally root against, but not against aliens, and stupid looking ones at that.

Stephen Lang deserved better.  :mad:

Oh yeah, and on topic:  saw on the ticker this AM that Cameron announced the sequel, due 2015.  Yahoo.

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

mongers

Quote from: garbon on July 30, 2012, 10:58:54 AM
Yes because bloat and lack of efficient editing is a positive? Color me skeptical.

:lol:

And too true; really did the guy lose the keys to the edit suite and has been too embarassed to tell anyone for the last 10 years ?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

grumbler

I am astonished the people think the problems with The Lord of the Rings movies were due to editing!  :huh:

The problem was with the writing (hobbits bouncing on beds, green slime people, Aragorn's story completely fucked up, elves at Helm's Deep, orcs attacking fortifications with pikes at Helm's Deep, horses riding down vertical walls, etc).  The editing wasn't brilliant, but it was competent, and good editing would be hard to do for such a complex story.

The only real editing blunder I saw was including all that silly stuff with Aragorn falling off the cliff, and then excluding the end of the Sauraman story.   The editors got their priorities wrong, there.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

derspiess

Glad I missed that one.

Yeah, I got that feeling from the trailer for Avatar, and decided I'd not waste the time watching it.  And everyone telling me I just had to watch it unknowingly made me even more resistant.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall