Does the US need to be fundamentally transformed?

Started by derspiess, July 27, 2012, 01:15:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Does the US need to be fundamentally transformed?

Yes (American)
15 (31.3%)
No (American)
11 (22.9%)
Yes (furriner)
17 (35.4%)
No (furrener)
5 (10.4%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Phillip V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 29, 2012, 06:34:46 AM
Quote from: Tonitrus on July 28, 2012, 11:01:46 PM
The idea of both those institutions is to prevent large, populous states from running roughshod over smaller, less populous states (i.e., California doesn't want to store nuclear waste on it's soil, so we'll just use our massive voting power to put it all in Idaho). 

But as it stands now over two centuries of development, the Senate is heavily weighed towards states with heavy rural populations.  Kansas or Wyoming has as much swag as New York or New Jersey.  A far cry from the population distribution of 1787.
Here are population estimates used in 1787: http://www.dcte.udel.edu/hlp/resources/newnation/pdfs/PopEstim.pdf

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 29, 2012, 06:34:46 AM
The idea of both those institutions is to prevent large, populous states from running roughshod over smaller, less populous states (i.e., California doesn't want to store nuclear waste on it's soil, so we'll just use our massive voting power to put it all in Idaho). 
But as it stands now over two centuries of development, the Senate is heavily weighed towards states with heavy rural populations.  Kansas or Wyoming has as much swag as New York or New Jersey.  A far cry from the population distribution of 1787.
There were still plenty of states with tiny populations back then.  The largest 50% of the states had 75% of the population.  The Senate is working as designed, except perhaps with respect to the fillibuster.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on July 29, 2012, 07:39:26 AM
There were still plenty of states with tiny populations back then.  The largest 50% of the states had 75% of the population.  The Senate is working as designed, except perhaps with respect to the fillibuster.

For 13 states, it worked.  For 50 states, not so much.

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 29, 2012, 07:43:45 AM
Quote from: Phillip V on July 29, 2012, 07:38:20 AM
Here are population estimates used in 1787: http://www.dcte.udel.edu/hlp/resources/newnation/pdfs/PopEstim.pdf

lol, 158 slaves in New Hampshire.  Poor bastards.

948 in RI. All Timmays.

MASSA! THEY BE A NEW INVENTION! BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 29, 2012, 07:44:31 AM
Quote from: Neil on July 29, 2012, 07:39:26 AM
For 13 states, it worked.  For 50 states, not so much.
I suppose I could see that, but only becuase that's more individual Senators to be bribed.  I doubt your treasonous founders had that in mind when they were setting it up though.  At any rate, the solution would be to go to 1 senator per state.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

Would that actually happen?  Anyway the system is a little odd because it let's you say that the voices of citizens in Idaho should have a great deal more power than those in California in that particular arena.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

Quote from: garbon on July 29, 2012, 10:18:11 AM
Would that actually happen?  Anyway the system is a little odd because it let's you say that the voices of citizens in Idaho should have a great deal more power than those in California in that particular arena.
Except it's not odd, because that's the entire point of the Senate.  The states are supposed to stand equal in the Senate, while the people stand equal in the House.

Martinus

Quote from: Neil on July 29, 2012, 10:34:37 AM
Quote from: garbon on July 29, 2012, 10:18:11 AM
Except it's not odd, because that's the entire point of the Senate.  The states are supposed to stand equal in the Senate, while the people stand equal in the House.

I think the point is that after over 200 years of the union, perhaps it's about time to get rid of the federalism.

Neil

Quote from: Martinus on July 29, 2012, 12:28:42 PM
I think the point is that after over 200 years of the union, perhaps it's about time to get rid of the federalism.
Then that's a stupid point, as different states and regions still have different interests.  The entire point of a Senate is to balance those interests, and that's something that the House is incapable of doing, and the executive won't.

For a country as large and as varied as the US, federalism is the only real option.

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

OttoVonBismarck

Part of the issue with the U.S., is a few minor changes (not even as far reaching as mine) would probably improve things like legislative gridlock--but there is such a massive resistance in this country to any sort of altering of the actual framework of government that it's a total non-starter. I wouldn't want to adopt France's "new constitution every time the sun rises" policy since the 18th century, but there is a legitimate problem when you become so entrenched in a 223 year old document that you're totally unwilling to even think of altering any of the core parts of it.

Tonitrus

garbon

Which strikes me as a bit silly given that we've states whose total population would be about the size of a city in most other states.  Irresponsible granting of statehood.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Phillip V

Quote from: garbon on July 29, 2012, 02:05:07 PM

Which strikes me as a bit silly given that we've states whose total population would be about the size of a city in most other states.  Irresponsible granting of statehood.
What should the state admission requirements have been?