Does the US need to be fundamentally transformed?

Started by derspiess, July 27, 2012, 01:15:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Does the US need to be fundamentally transformed?

Yes (American)
15 (31.3%)
No (American)
11 (22.9%)
Yes (furriner)
17 (35.4%)
No (furrener)
5 (10.4%)

Total Members Voted: 47

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on July 27, 2012, 01:42:16 PM
I dunno man.  Harper has said before he wants to 'transform' Canada into a more conservative country, such that the Conservative Party becomes its natural governing party.  I don't see anything sinister in sayign that.  Obama is President - presumably he does have changes he wants to make, or else why would he become President in the first place?

fun·da·men·tal·ly/ˌfəndəˈmentl-ē/
Adverb:   
In central or primary respects: "two fundamentally different concepts of democracy".
Used to make an emphatic statement about the basic truth of something.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Neil

Well, I guess the US could use a few transformations.  The whole gun culture could afford to go, as could the cult of celebrity and the fear of socialized medicine.  I just don't think that these transformations are especially fundamental.  Then again, I'm not a speechwriter, a class for whom the word 'fundamental' is essetially padding.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

grumbler

Someone has been sipping the kool-aid!  :lol:

Obama uttered the usual politician's cant about the significance of the changes they would make, and the right-wing kooks appear to have "death-panelled" the phrase.  That's an area where America needs to be fundamentally changed:  those who profess the big lie need to be laughed out of public view.

Obama's fundamental changes were neither fundamental nor, really, changes.  And they took place better than three and a half years ago, so I think we can conclude that this question is silly.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Neil on July 27, 2012, 02:01:57 PM
Well, I guess the US could use a few transformations.  The whole gun culture could afford to go, as could the cult of celebrity and the fear of socialized medicine.  I just don't think that these transformations are especially fundamental.  Then again, I'm not a speechwriter, a class for whom the word 'fundamental' is essetially padding.
:huh:  Who hijacked Neil's account?  This post is lucid and relevant, so it can't be Neil writing.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

I think the budgeting process needs to be changed so there is a default in cases of no agreement.  Other than that, less fat chicks.

Valmy

Some of the ways our government works maybe, but that is reform that is needed not fundamental transformers.  Also our cultural expectations of an easy life but reality will eventually transform that.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Faeelin

Valmy

Quote from: Faeelin on July 27, 2012, 02:40:44 PM
A return to the gold standard. Ron Paul!

Oh silly me.  This a thousand times this!!!111
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: grumbler on July 27, 2012, 02:17:07 PM
Someone has been sipping the kool-aid!  :lol:

Obama uttered the usual politician's cant about the significance of the changes they would make, and the right-wing kooks appear to have "death-panelled" the phrase.  That's an area where America needs to be fundamentally changed:  those who profess the big lie need to be laughed out of public view.

Obama's fundamental changes were neither fundamental nor, really, changes.  And they took place better than three and a half years ago, so I think we can conclude that this question is silly.

Nice little rant, but it was an honest question.  Pretty much everyone has something that want to reform, but I don't recall any other presidents or major candidates calling for fundamental transformation.  I'm genuinely curious if people here think the US has a flaw so serious that it warrants fundamental transformation.  What Obama did or did not do in the past 3.5 years is irrelevant to the discussion.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Viking

Quote from: Habbaku on July 27, 2012, 01:35:25 PM
Yes, into Voltron.

E Pluribus Unum?

that's at least one thing that needs changing
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: derspiess on July 27, 2012, 03:03:14 PM
Nice little rant, but it was an honest question.  Pretty much everyone has something that want to reform, but I don't recall any other presidents or major candidates calling for fundamental transformation.  I'm genuinely curious if people here think the US has a flaw so serious that it warrants fundamental transformation.  What Obama did or did not do in the past 3.5 years is irrelevant to the discussion.

I think you're making a big deal out of nothing.  Obama is just packing some extra verbiage on his goal of taking money from Teh Man and giving it to hard-working middle class Americans from Main Street so they can get a fair shot.

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 27, 2012, 03:10:21 PM
I think you're making a big deal out of nothing.  Obama is just packing some extra verbiage on his goal of taking money from Teh Man and giving it to hard-working middle class Americans from Main Street so they can get a fair shot.

So are you saying it's not even worth discussing whether the US needs fundamental transformation?  Apparently a majority of Languishites so far believe that it does.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on July 27, 2012, 03:13:31 PM
I voted yes to fuck with you.

:hug:

I guess I need a sockpuppet account to do any future polls.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: derspiess on July 27, 2012, 03:12:44 PM
So are you saying it's not even worth discussing whether the US needs fundamental transformation?  Apparently a majority of Languishites so far believe that it does.

It's as interesting as the average Languish thread starter question.  But if the point of the excercise is to make Obama look foolish for overblown rhetoric,  like I said I don't think the target is big enough.