Does the US need to be fundamentally transformed?

Started by derspiess, July 27, 2012, 01:15:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Does the US need to be fundamentally transformed?

Yes (American)
15 (31.3%)
No (American)
11 (22.9%)
Yes (furriner)
17 (35.4%)
No (furrener)
5 (10.4%)

Total Members Voted: 47

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 30, 2012, 06:04:12 PM
Gilded age economic history teaches that the busts of hard money laissez faire, while "many," are not "small".

At least Gilded Age politicians had the wherewithal to do something about it with the law.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 30, 2012, 10:53:07 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on July 29, 2012, 07:04:32 PM
I suspect we're at a period like the early seventies when the previous governing ideology is failing, and visibly so, in both the UK and the US.  I think there'll be a transformation as profound as Thatcherism/Reaganism.  I don't know what it'll be or who or when.

Europe is on the edge of an even more profound transformation almost regardless of what happens in the Eurozone crisis.

It will be interesting to see what comes out of all this - A Federal Europe perhaps.

one that is unlikely to be carried by the population of that "federal europe". 't wouldn't have the legitimacy to survive I think

Josquius

Yes (obvious I'd come down on that side).
The way the US treats the constitution like a holy text (and many actually take holy texts seriously) should be gotten rid of. And the way American democracy works is....not great. AV FTW. Or at least they should copy Canada more.

And when Thatcher dies I'm so going on a pilgrimage to piss on her grave. Or I would be if half the country didn't also have that idea, or better, and so there'll be an around the clock police guard. <_<
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on July 31, 2012, 09:15:55 AM
The way the US treats the constitution like a holy text (and many actually take holy texts seriously) should be gotten rid of. And the way American democracy works is....not great. AV FTW. Or at least they should copy Canada more.

And when Thatcher dies I'm so going on a pilgrimage to piss on her grave. Or I would be if half the country didn't also have that idea, or better, and so there'll be an around the clock police guard. <_<

I'll say it like I've said it a thousand times before - you're an idiot.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on July 31, 2012, 09:19:16 AM
I'll say it like I've said it a thousand times before - you're an idiot.

Nothing much more fun than watching a Brit make an ass of himself by completely misunderstanding the concept of a formal constitution, though.

Mongers is an idiot, but he's our village's idiot.  We wouldn't be a proper village without him.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

If only all those coal mines were still around :weep:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on July 31, 2012, 09:26:46 AM
What about Jos then? :D

He used to be a contender, but then he grew up.  He may still say some dumb things, but all of us do that.  I find only* mongers can be relied on to say something breathtakingly stupid in the majority of his posts.

*that's assuming, as I do, that Siegy's "dumb" comments are mostly deliberate trolls.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Neil

Even if AV wasn't a fundamentally stupid idea designed to enforce single party rule, how in the fuck would it work in a country with only two parties?

I know a lot of people have told you that you're stupid, Jos.  They're right.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Josquius

Quote from: Neil on July 31, 2012, 09:47:54 AM

Even if AV wasn't a fundamentally stupid idea designed to enforce single party rule, how in the fuck would it work in a country with only two parties?

It wouldn't. Getting rid of the two party system is a given.

And nope.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Neil

Quote from: Tyr on July 31, 2012, 09:53:13 AM
Quote from: Neil on July 31, 2012, 09:47:54 AM

It wouldn't. Getting rid of the two party system is a given.
What's your mechanism for that?  Will your solution involve coal mines?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Sheilbh

I think AV would automatically lead to the end of two party politics.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 31, 2012, 10:15:30 AM

I've no idea but wiki states that the US already has it for local elections in many US locales (including where I lived). I think most winning candidates are still out of the two parties.

Also, looks like attempts to bring it to a state level are usually roundly defeated.

Neil

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 31, 2012, 10:15:30 AM
Why?  Everyone already identifies as a Democrat or Republican, and those are the parties that always win just about everything.  Also, there is no real party other than those two, as all the other parties are insane.