News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Rosenhan Experiment

Started by jimmy olsen, July 21, 2012, 07:36:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Was inspired to do a little research on the mentally ill by the Batman shooting and found this. Totally fucked up. I think a situation like that could eventually drive a sane man crazy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosenhan_experiment

The Science article can be found here.
web.archive.org/web/20041117175255/http://web.cocc.edu/lminorevans/on_being_sane_in_insane_places.htm
QuoteThe Rosenhan experiment was a famous experiment into the validity of psychiatric diagnosis conducted by psychologist David Rosenhan in 1973. It was published in the journal Science under the title "On being sane in insane places."[1] The study is considered an important and influential criticism of psychiatric diagnosis.[2]

Rosenhan's study was done in two parts. The first part involved the use of healthy associates or "pseudopatients" (three women and five men) who briefly simulated auditory hallucinations in an attempt to gain admission to 12 different psychiatric hospitals in five different states in various locations in the United States. All were admitted and diagnosed with psychiatric disorders. After admission, the pseudopatients acted normally and told staff that they felt fine and had not experienced any more hallucinations. Hospital staff failed to detect a single pseudopatient, and instead believed that all of the pseudopatients exhibited symptoms of ongoing mental illness. Several were confined for months. All were forced to admit to having a mental illness and agree to take antipsychotic drugs as a condition of their release. The second part involved an offended hospital challenging Rosenhan to send pseudopatients to its facility, whom its staff would then detect. Rosenhan agreed and in the following weeks out of 193 new patients the staff identified 41 as potential pseudopatients, with 19 of these receiving suspicion from at least 1 psychiatrist and 1 other staff member. In fact Rosenhan had sent no-one to the hospital.

The study concluded, "It is clear that we cannot distinguish the sane from the insane in psychiatric hospitals" and also illustrated the dangers of dehumanization and labeling in psychiatric institutions. It suggested that the use of community mental health facilities which concentrated on specific problems and behaviors rather than psychiatric labels might be a solution and recommended education to make psychiatric workers more aware of the social psychology of their facilities.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

What you didn't know this?  If they were actually good at detecting mental illness, half the staff would be locked away.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 21, 2012, 07:36:07 PM
The second part involved an offended hospital challenging Rosenhan to send pseudopatients to its facility, whom its staff would then detect. Rosenhan agreed and in the following weeks out of 193 new patients the staff identified 41 as potential pseudopatients, with 19 of these receiving suspicion from at least 1 psychiatrist and 1 other staff member. In fact Rosenhan had sent no-one to the hospital.

:lol: Ossum.

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on July 21, 2012, 07:41:02 PM
What you didn't know this?  If they were actually good at detecting mental illness, half the staff would be locked away.

Tim is an odd bird.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Scipio

This is not news.  Nor is it surprising.  Nor do I care.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

jimmy olsen

Quote from: garbon on July 21, 2012, 09:44:13 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 21, 2012, 07:41:02 PM

Tim is an odd bird.
Not being crazy, and not knowing any personally that's crazy,  why should I know much about the mental health care system?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

Don't you claim to know something about history?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: garbon on July 21, 2012, 10:58:18 PM
Yes, and that would include specific knowledge of modern health institutions, why? Politics, war, art and culture is what I read I'm interested in history, not procedural regulations of asylums or law enforcement agencies beyond Supreme Court cases that have addressed those issues, or cultural reform movements like those of the early 19th century that have addressed those issues.

1 Karma Chameleon point

dps

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 21, 2012, 11:20:45 PM
Yes, and that would include specific knowledge of modern health institutions, why? Politics, war, art and culture is what I read I'm interested in history, not procedural regulations of asylums or law enforcement agencies beyond Supreme Court cases that have addressed those issues, or cultural reform movements like those of the early 19th century that have addressed those issues.

Uhm, because you need good general knowledge in order to provide context to historical knowledge?  Otherwise, it's just trivia. 

The Brain

So one guy knew better than the entire medical staffs of major institutions? He could diagnose people 100%? He was wrong, got called on it and blamed the system. We should invite him to Languish.  :rolleyes:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ideologue

Tim, don't take their shit.  I had read about this before, but had largely forgotten about it.  Good on you for reminding me.  You do God's work, my friend.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

Quote from: dps on July 22, 2012, 01:07:38 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 21, 2012, 11:20:45 PM

Uhm, because you need good general knowledge in order to provide context to historical knowledge?  Otherwise, it's just trivia.
Politics, war, art and culture is general knowledge. The details of diagnoses in mental hospitals circa 1970 is extremely specific.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Martinus

I have not heard about it before but this is 40 years old. It's not like the state of mental care was that great back then. Homosexuality was considered a mental disease and certain groups of people were being forcibly sterilized.

It would be interesting to see the results of a similar study done today but as it is, it is non-news.

Martinus

Quote from: The Brain on July 22, 2012, 01:37:01 AM
So one guy knew better than the entire medical staffs of major institutions? He could diagnose people 100%? He was wrong, got called on it and blamed the system. We should invite him to Languish.  :rolleyes:

Good point. Especially if you consider that most psychiatrists are insane.

Iormlund

Quote from: Martinus on July 22, 2012, 03:56:50 AM
Good point. Especially if you consider that most psychiatrists are insane.

I tend to sleep on either one side or facing the bed. But after the operation I couldn't move, so I had to sleep on my back.
It hurt a lot, in part due to my own back problems and in addition I guess due to the sorry state of my core muscles after being cut and pulled during surgery.
The result was that I wasn't able to sleep more than 2 hours a night, and only after I had some chemical help.
I complained each day, but other than trying different sleeping pills, the docs did nothing to help, apparently thinking I was a pill junkie or something. Finally they called psych.
A few more days passed. A week had gone by, having slept just a dozen hours in that time. By then I could shift to either side, relieving pain somewhat. That morning I also got lucky, and my roommate was down in surgery, so I had the place to myself.
For the first time in a week, I managed to get asleep, some time after breakfast.
And that's when three shrinks show up. The two students sit back and the other guy fucking wakes me up and says: "Hello, we're from psychiatry, and we're here to help you sleep."
I was incapacitated, else I would've defenestrated the bastards.