20 people shot at Batman midnight screening.

Started by katmai, July 20, 2012, 04:26:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Phillip V on August 08, 2012, 08:50:41 AM
Moviegoers notice gun permit-holder with holster sitting in the theater. They call the police. The police arrive and frisk everybody. They threaten the permit-holder with death and arrest him.

http://www.courant.com/community/new-haven/hc-new-haven-gun-incident-0808-2-20120807,0,5258663.story

I don't see a problem. Not sure where he got off ignoring the police.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Phillip V

The police should not have been there in the first place, or at least not violently escalated the situation.

Now, if the middle-aged Asian man talking on his cellphone started making threatening movements, then fellow moviegoers should justifiably be afraid.

I would like to see the police called every time a gun permit-carrying citizen is carrying a gun.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Phillip V on August 08, 2012, 09:40:03 AM
The police should not have been there in the first place, or at least not violently escalated the situation.

Hey, cop hating faggot bitch, read the fine print: 
QuotePolice rushed to a Temple Street movie theater shortly after 10 p.m. Tuesday after receiving calls of an armed man in the theater.
When officers identified the armed man, they drew their weapons and ordered him to put his hands up. He did not comply with the officers' orders and remained in his seat while using his cell phone, police said.

Part of the problem with an armed I-spooge-over-my-2nd-Amendment-rights crowd:  people with guns make other people, and police officers, nervous.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 08, 2012, 09:44:55 AM
Part of the problem with an armed I-spooge-over-my-2nd-Amendment-rights crowd:  people with guns make other people, and police officers, nervous.

Indeed and I don't even like cops.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on August 08, 2012, 09:49:34 AM

Indeed and I don't even like cops.

Me neither.

Phillip V

Quote from: Phillip V on August 08, 2012, 09:40:03 AM

Hey, cop hating faggot bitch, read the fine print: 
QuotePolice rushed to a Temple Street movie theater shortly after 10 p.m. Tuesday after receiving calls of an armed man in the theater.
When officers identified the armed man, they drew their weapons and ordered him to put his hands up. He did not comply with the officers' orders and remained in his seat while using his cell phone, police said.

LAWL. And gun-brandishing screaming cops did not obviously make this sitting guy nervous? :lmfao:

Syt

He was Asian. Nobody can know what they think or feel, if anything.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

It isn't that hard to comply with the police. :mellow:

Besides, while you can, if you bring a gun to a movie theater after a widely publicized shooting, you are asking for trouble.

PDH

If more people had been shooting guns at the Aurora theater that night less people would have been hurt.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Phillip V on August 08, 2012, 10:06:50 AM
LAWL. And gun-brandishing screaming cops did not obviously make this sitting guy nervous? :lmfao:

Apparently not nervous enough to ignore them and keep talking on the phone.  What a putz.

Phillip V

Quote from: garbon on August 08, 2012, 10:10:57 AM
It's hard to for people to uniformly "comply" in surprise high-stress dangerous situations; ever read cases of police killing unarmed civilians "by accident"?

In any case, hopefully there is a lawsuit, and then we can see in court if "making people nervous" is a justifiable defense.

HVC

Quote from: Phillip V on August 08, 2012, 10:15:53 AM
It's hard to for people to uniformly "comply" in surprise high-stress dangerous situations; ever read cases of police killing unarmed civilians "by accident"?

In any case, hopefully there is a lawsuit, and then we can see in court if "making people nervous" is a justifiable defense.
if he can't handle the "stress" of complying to a simple command then he doesn't deserve a gun permit.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

CountDeMoney

I really wish I had the opportunity to curb hop your ass in the back of a wagon.  I really do.

Darth Wagtaros

Any reason why it shouldn't? A crazy person shoots up a theater full of people ,there is talk for weeks of possible copy cat crazies, and this guy walked into a theater with a gun.  That the gun was legal wasn't necessarily enough to make anybody around him more comfortable.  Did he say, "hey everybody, don't worry, I have a permit for this?" Probably not.  Did he tell the cops he had a permit? He was talking on his phone.  There are a lot of ways this could have worked out better, both for the cops, and this guy.  But it wasn't the cops alone who were to blame.

I like the comments too.  People nervous about a guy with a gun in a tight space were 'sheeple'.
PDH!