News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What household chores do you do?

Started by merithyn, July 19, 2012, 01:00:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

On a regular basis, what chores do you do around the house?

Dishes
Laundry
Sweeping
Dusting
Picking Up
None - that's wimmen's work.

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on July 19, 2012, 02:31:17 PM
Quote from: derspiess on July 19, 2012, 02:21:56 PM
For Thanksgiving I help clear the table, but after that my ass is planted on the couch watching football.  It's my God-given right.

Ah, so you help cook the dinner then? :)

I usually try to make one random dish to throw in the mix, just to say I did something. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Brain

Lions got the chores shit right. Why improve on nature?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Neil

I can do all those things from time to time, but it takes a whole lot of nagging, and not a little supervision to get me to dust anything.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Martinus

Laundry (put stuff into a washing machine), dishes (put stuff into dish washer), picking up. The cleaning lady does the rest.

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on July 19, 2012, 02:35:09 PM
I usually try to make one random dish to throw in the mix, just to say I did something.

Wow. You're a real peach. :)
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on July 19, 2012, 02:31:17 PM
Quote from: derspiess on July 19, 2012, 02:21:56 PM
For Thanksgiving I help clear the table, but after that my ass is planted on the couch watching football.  It's my God-given right.

Ah, so you help cook the dinner then? :)

My family orders it.  Man it is amazing how much more enjoyable Thanksgiving is for all involved.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: The Brain on July 19, 2012, 02:42:21 PM
Lions got the chores shit right. Why improve on nature?

:lol:

Patriarchal beasts with spiky penises. Must suck to be a female lion.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Valmy

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on July 19, 2012, 02:50:53 PM
:lol:

Patriarchal beasts with spiky penises. Must suck to be a female lion.

At least all those fights for leading the pride provide lots of entertainment.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on July 19, 2012, 01:45:48 PM
Quote from: Barrister on July 19, 2012, 01:34:53 PM
If you enjoy grilling and making chili, then you enjoy cooking.  You just need to expand your repertoire.  There's no difference between grilling a steak, and making any other kind of meal.  And besides - all the great chefs are men anyways.  ;)

I used to sort of like cooking, but the wife sapped all that out of me.  Before I met her, every woman I ever cooked for always appreciated the effort even if I wasn't that skilled and took some shortcuts.  Found out pretty quickly with her that if I'm not going to make everything from scratch and get it right the first time, I may as well not even bother :lol: 

Outside of grilling, the only thing she lets me do is cut onions for her since they bother her eyes but have zero effect on me.

Well that's understandable.  I've learned that if someone is willing to do a household task, never ever criticize how they do it.  Either go and do it yourself, or shut up and be thankful.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on July 19, 2012, 02:54:19 PM
Well that's understandable.  I've learned that if someone is willing to do a household task, never ever criticize how they do it.  Either go and do it yourself, or shut up and be thankful.

Damn straight.  If it is super important something be done just the way you like it, you better be willing to do it all the time.

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on July 19, 2012, 02:56:14 PM

Damn straight.  If it is super important something be done just the way you like it, you better be willing to do it all the time.

You know, there's a limit to that. If I pull a glass out of the cupboard and it has crap in it, yeah, I'm going to say something. Or if your idea of "folding" laundry is to ball it up and shove into a corner in the closet, that's a problem. Cleaning the toilet involves making sure the OUTSIDE is as clean as the INSIDE.

I grew up in a household where everything was criticized, even our coloring pages. Because of that, I try so very hard not to be too critical. That being said, half-assing a chore and expecting to be praised for it will get you thumped in my house. Don't bother if you're not going to seriously make an effort.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Barrister

Quote from: merithyn on July 19, 2012, 03:13:40 PM

You know, there's a limit to that. If I pull a glass out of the cupboard and it has crap in it, yeah, I'm going to say something. Or if your idea of "folding" laundry is to ball it up and shove into a corner in the closet, that's a problem. Cleaning the toilet involves making sure the OUTSIDE is as clean as the INSIDE.

I grew up in a household where everything was criticized, even our coloring pages. Because of that, I try so very hard not to be too critical. That being said, half-assing a chore and expecting to be praised for it will get you thumped in my house. Don't bother if you're not going to seriously make an effort.

Well I think that advice is for adults, not children, but I stand by it.  If you don't like the clothes being balled up and shoved in a corner, but your partner thinks thats just fine, well perhaps you had better be doing the laundry.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on July 19, 2012, 02:47:18 PM
Quote from: derspiess on July 19, 2012, 02:35:09 PM

Wow. You're a real peach. :)

It's more than what either of my two brothers do :D
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

sbr

Quote from: Barrister on July 19, 2012, 03:16:07 PM
Quote from: merithyn on July 19, 2012, 03:13:40 PM

Well I think that advice is for adults, not children, but I stand by it.  If you don't like the clothes being balled up and shoved in a corner, but your partner thinks thats just fine, well perhaps you had better be doing the laundry.

To a degree.  If an adult is being lazy or half-assing it to get out of doing stuff there is going to be a bigger problem than whether the clothes are folded properly.

Maximus

Quote from: derspiess on July 19, 2012, 01:15:17 PM
partly because the kids will mess everything up 2 seconds later.

So this. That may be why it doesn't feel fulfilling too.