News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What household chores do you do?

Started by merithyn, July 19, 2012, 01:00:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

On a regular basis, what chores do you do around the house?

Dishes
Laundry
Sweeping
Dusting
Picking Up
None - that's wimmen's work.

Scipio

I do all of these, in rotation.  But only I vacuum or do windows.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Iormlund

None. I pay a nice Romanian lady to do them for me.

Quote from: merithyn on July 19, 2012, 01:00:21 PM
Obviously, the single folks are going to skew the results a bit since they kind of HAVE to do this stuff. I'm still wondering.

No we don't. See above.

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on July 19, 2012, 01:19:09 PM
Huh? What the hell does that even mean?!

I actually like doing yard/outside work.  It's fulfilling.  If I've done a good job on the lawn & it looks nice, I'm proud of it and don't mind the physical effort one bit.  Same goes for fixing things, installing/replacing appliances, light fixtures, etc.  But if I do housework, even if I do a decent job of it, I get no such fulfillment.  I honestly wish I did.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Grey Fox

All of it. My Girl is lazy, my kid is still too small.

She will do some of it, I just have to order it multiple times.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: merithyn on July 19, 2012, 01:19:09 PM
Quote from: derspiess on July 19, 2012, 01:15:17 PM
Having said the above, I don't hate or resist housework because it's emasculating.  I do so partly because I'm lazy and partly because the kids will mess everything up 2 seconds later.  Also partly because it just doesn't feel natural or fulfilling.  I'm not into the nesting thing.  I'd rather spend 5 hours working out in the yard in 90 degree heat than spend 30 minutes doing household chores.

:blink:

Huh? What the hell does that even mean?!

I don't know about natural, but some housework is more enjoyable than others.  I do more of the cooking because I find it satisfying - providing food for the family, being a bit creative with what you cook.  I like doing yardwork because it gets you outside.

But I hate doing laundry - its just so dull and tedious.  My wife says she doesn't mind doing it - find it relaxing.  So to each their own.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on July 19, 2012, 01:22:20 PM
Quote from: derspiess on July 19, 2012, 01:19:22 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 19, 2012, 01:16:53 PM
Housework doesn't feel natural? :unsure:

Not for me.  Unfortunately, not so much for the wife, either since they had a maid growing up and she never had to do any chores.  Shit, *I* had to teach her how to clean.  How messed up is that?

I'm still not sure I understand natural though. I mean I hate cleaning but I wouldn't say it is unnatural. Care to clarify? :D

All I can say is that it doesn't feel natural for me to be doing it.  Besides, you're gay, so cleaning would obviously feel natural to you :)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on July 19, 2012, 01:27:47 PM
All I can say is that it doesn't feel natural for me to be doing it.  Besides, you're gay, so cleaning would obviously feel natural to you :)

Didn't I just say that I don't like to clean? :unsure:

So is a natural state for humans - a big, jumbly mess? :unsure:

What do you mean by natural? From what you said to Meri it seems like you just mean you don't derive pleasure from it...?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on July 19, 2012, 01:27:32 PM
I don't know about natural, but some housework is more enjoyable than others.  I do more of the cooking because I find it satisfying - providing food for the family, being a bit creative with what you cook.  I like doing yardwork because it gets you outside.

But I hate doing laundry - its just so dull and tedious.  My wife says she doesn't mind doing it - find it relaxing.  So to each their own.

I don't mind doing laundry, per se.  And surprisingly I'm better at it than my wife, in terms of knowing how to separate clothes & whatnot.  But I abhor folding clothes and am pretty lousy at it.  I'm not much into cooking outside of grilling or making chili, but thankfully the wife loves to cook.

What gets me about dividing up chores is that the wife always bitches about how she has to do more than 50% of them and doesn't count yardwork because she knows that's something I like doing.  She also doesn't count gathering up & taking out the garbage because that's "a man's job anyway". 

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on July 19, 2012, 01:32:13 PM
Quote from: Barrister on July 19, 2012, 01:27:32 PM

I don't mind doing laundry, per se.  And surprisingly I'm better at it than my wife, in terms of knowing how to separate clothes & whatnot.  But I abhor folding clothes and am pretty lousy at it.  I'm not much into cooking outside of grilling or making chili, but thankfully the wife loves to cook.

What gets me about dividing up chores is that the wife always bitches about how she has to do more than 50% of them and doesn't count yardwork because she knows that's something I like doing.  She also doesn't count gathering up & taking out the garbage because that's "a man's job anyway".

The folding is what drives me crazy.  Washing itself isn't so bad - just separate and put in machine.

If you enjoy grilling and making chili, then you enjoy cooking.  You just need to expand your repertoire.  There's no difference between grilling a steak, and making any other kind of meal.  And besides - all the great chefs are men anyways.  ;)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

MadImmortalMan

All of those. But less than she does. I do the majority of the cooking. She mows the lawn. Mostly because it drives my allergies nuts. It's kinda funny watching that little girl trying to wield a big mower.  :P

Mostly I do my laundry and she does hers. She's got too many rules and delicate stuff she has to wash in special ways I never bothered to figure out. I just dump my clothes in there and go. It's either dark, light or white.

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on July 19, 2012, 01:32:13 PM
She also doesn't count gathering up & taking out the garbage because that's "a man's job anyway". 

Odd.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

I don't even bother separating anymore. It's all the same cotton with a little polyester.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on July 19, 2012, 01:31:04 PM
Didn't I just say that I don't like to clean? :unsure:

So is a natural state for humans - a big, jumbly mess? :unsure:

Oh, I prefer a nice, clean house.  It just doesn't feel natural for me to clean it.  I do it, but I sort of feel lost doing it.

QuoteWhat do you mean by natural? From what you said to Meri it seems like you just mean you don't derive pleasure from it...?

I'm not sure how I can explain in any more detail how something does or does not feel natural, sorry.