News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Gentlemen - What emasculates you?

Started by merithyn, July 18, 2012, 11:40:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

I don't think "emasculating" is the right term for the guys who care over much about being manly and displaying their alpha male qualities. "Insecure," "juvenile," and "silly" are more apt (and more than enough justification for having no interest in them). Not "unmasculine" though; preening and strutting around to make sure everyone knows that you've got this "manly" stuff down pat by acting out the broad social stereotypes of your gender is pretty typical male behaviour. By definition, that pretty much can't be emasculated even if its immature, foolish and unattractive.

crazy canuck

Quote from: derspiess on July 18, 2012, 02:14:15 PM
You've already wet yourself at the thought of us owning scary guns, so it's probably safe to avoid the entire US. 

I agree that it would be safer to avoid your country entirely. But there are some nice bits.  The trick is in knowing the parts that are not worth seeing.  Hence the question.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on July 18, 2012, 08:48:08 PM
I don't think "emasculating" is the right term for the guys who care over much about being manly and displaying their alpha male qualities. "Insecure," "juvenile," and "silly" are more apt (and more than enough justification for having no interest in them). Not "unmasculine" though; preening and strutting around to make sure everyone knows that you've got this "manly" stuff down pat by acting out the broad social stereotypes of your gender is pretty typical male behaviour. By definition, that pretty much can't be emasculated even if its immature, foolish and unattractive.

did you just say an insecure male cant be emasculated?

Jacob

I hope not, as I don't believe that. I'm saying that an insecure man isn't emasculated by acting all macho and trying to cover his insecurity. That's pretty standard male behaviour.

I'd say that Mr. Insecure is vulnerable to being emasculated by effectively calling out his bluster as bluffing.

szmik

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on July 18, 2012, 05:38:27 PM
Nobody can out-drink me so no issue there.  :P

wanna bet?  :cheers:

and yes, men drive  :ph34r: but only because most women drive me crazy on roads  :menace:
Quote from: Neil on September 23, 2011, 08:41:24 AM
That's why Martinus, for all his spending on the trappings of wealth and taste, will never really have class.  He's just trying too hard to be something he isn't (an intelligent, tasteful gentleman), trying desperately to hide what he is (Polish trash with money and a severe behavioral disorder), and it shows in everything he says and does.  He's not our equal, not by a mile.

merithyn

Quote from: Jacob on July 18, 2012, 08:48:08 PM

See? I really don't get the whole "emasculating" thing! :(

Regardless, yes, this. :)
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

I like how Meri uses the cover of not understanding to repeatedly insult Seedy...and then offer dime store Paglia analysis. :thumbsdown:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on July 18, 2012, 09:46:07 PM
I like how Meri uses the cover of not understanding to repeatedly insult Seedy...and then offer dime store Paglia analysis. :thumbsdown:

Passive aggression is a staple Mommy trait.  Just watch Everybody Loves Raymond reruns.  :P

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 18, 2012, 09:53:12 PM

Passive aggression is a staple Mommy trait.  Just watch Everybody Loves Raymond reruns.  :P

I thought it was trait common amongst the whole gender.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

merithyn

Paglia who? :unsure:

I get that I was insulting Seedy, but I don't understand why it emasculated him. There is a difference.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Syt

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 18, 2012, 09:53:12 PM

The father was the only normal, sensible person on that show.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Capetan Mihali

"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

MadImmortalMan

Might be more interesting to ask the opposite. Why men feel the need to prove they are not emasculated constantly.

Roy Baumeister says it's because men are the disposable sex and are therefore in a constant struggle against each other to prove they are worthy to be the ones to make the babies, and that this goes back as far as the species.

Do monkeys do that? I don't know.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

HVC

Quote from: merithyn on July 19, 2012, 12:03:00 AM

Paglia who? :unsure:

I get that I was insulting Seedy, but I don't understand why it emasculated him. There is a difference.
You said that he'd war a dress (tutu to be exact :lol: ) and you don't understand how that's emasculating? :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Monoriu

- putting any kind of cream or products on my skin/hair
- using any kind of perfume
- putting on any kind of accessories, including wedding rings