And we're back!

Main Menu

Gentlemen - What emasculates you?

Started by merithyn, July 18, 2012, 11:40:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on July 18, 2012, 02:23:08 PM
Quote from: HVC on July 18, 2012, 02:05:51 PM
Meri, at the very least the fact that everyone saw the comments as an attack should give you pause :lol:

:whistle:

You know, that's kinda' why I started this thread.

I know and that's why unlike everyone else, I called you out on that on the first page of this thread. :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 18, 2012, 02:14:15 PM
Now, now...let's not all pile on the soccer mom..as hot as that concept may be.  :lol: She saw her shot, she took it.  That's what Languish is all about.  :P

Way to be submissive and deferential to yet another woman in your life.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

sbr

HVC

Quote from: DGuller on July 18, 2012, 02:48:23 PM
Quote from: HVC on July 18, 2012, 02:43:31 PM
as to the question at hand, the universal emasculation: Laughing at a guys dick :D
A giggle stifled a fraction of a second too late is even worse.  :(
"is it in yet" So many ways to truely wound a man :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Drakken

Quote from: merithyn on July 18, 2012, 02:20:22 PM
Not sure that Seedy needs your help on this one, Cowboy. Nor do I think he is nearly as worried about being called a pussy-whipped momma's boy as you are.

Garbon called on you because your post to CdM was harsh and gratuitous.  I take time to tell you exactly why your comment was perceived as an attack, and why it was perceived as a low-blow. I call on you because your passive-aggressive, and frankly cunt attitude, sucks. Your last post just proves to me that you can't stand the heat of being criticized, because nowhere I was insulting you.

That you like me or not, I don't give a damn about it. You should reread your posts and understand why some people make a fuss. What you do with it, though, is your business. If your only resort is to insult those who disagree with you, then I rest my case.

HVC

Quote from: garbon on July 18, 2012, 02:49:22 PM
Now, now...let's not all pile on the soccer mom..as hot as that concept may be.  :lol: She saw her shot, she took it.  That's what Languish is all about.  :P

:pinch: :lol:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Malthus

Quote from: HVC on July 18, 2012, 02:52:22 PM
Quote from: DGuller on July 18, 2012, 02:48:23 PM
Quote from: HVC on July 18, 2012, 02:43:31 PM
as to the question at hand, the universal emasculation: Laughing at a guys dick :D
A giggle stifled a fraction of a second too late is even worse.  :(
"is it in yet" So many ways to truely wound a man :D

"Can't feel that? How about ... here!"*  :P

* Not recommended
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

DGuller

:XD: It's Seedy season.

CountDeMoney

:lol:  It's just not my week on Languish.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 18, 2012, 03:24:21 PM

:lol:  It's just not my week on Languish.

I saw my shot and I took it. ;)

Martinus

Quote from: HVC on July 18, 2012, 02:05:51 PM
Meri, at the very least the fact that everyone saw the comments as an attack should give you pause :lol:

I think it was one of Merri's finest moments on Languish. The momma cat finally showed her claws.

mongers

Quote from: Drakken on July 18, 2012, 12:44:18 PM
Quote from: Malthus on July 18, 2012, 12:35:46 PM
Serious answer though: box-cutters aside, "emasculation" implies something that attacks your role as a man, so what could do it depends entirely on what you think your role as a man is or ought to be at the time (as seperate or in addition to your role as a human being).

Nowadays, that would mostly be for me my role as a father, so anything that attacked my worth as a father would be "emasculating". Provides a bad male role model for my son, that sort of thing.

Stuff like letting my wife drive the car cannot be "emasculating" to me because in my opinion, at least for me, my role as a man does not require being the person who drives the car.  :D

I agree, although women also have a social construct, an image, even a fantasy on how a "manly" man should act and behave. While some things may not be emasculating to you, the woman might see it as such and change her behavior accordingly. Then again, it's where good communication sinks in.

There's some truth in this and that plenty of men know this and so act the part, rather than being intrinsically manly.

An example I was recently chatting with some people, two of whom I didn't know. Now the conservation changed to motorbikes, and one of the women, whom I'd not met before, recounted in admiring detail how she was once riding pillion in London with some now ex-boyfriend.

Apparently another motorcycle near them was riding recklessly, so when they drew up at traffic lights together, manly boyfriend lent over, took the other guys ignition keys and threw them in the bushes, whilst informing him he was liable to get himself killed riding like that, and with that he rode off.

No colour me skeptical, but given that the ex-boyfriend was riding a harley and claimed to be a member of the SBS, I have to say I think the whole 'package' was a drama he staged* for her 'benefit'.
And sure enough years later, she's still lovingly retelling this story.  :hmm:

* I'm not doubting he was actually an arsehole to some random biker he picked on.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Drakken on July 18, 2012, 12:44:18 PM
Quote from: Malthus on July 18, 2012, 12:35:46 PM
Serious answer though: box-cutters aside, "emasculation" implies something that attacks your role as a man, so what could do it depends entirely on what you think your role as a man is or ought to be at the time (as seperate or in addition to your role as a human being).

Nowadays, that would mostly be for me my role as a father, so anything that attacked my worth as a father would be "emasculating". Provides a bad male role model for my son, that sort of thing.

Stuff like letting my wife drive the car cannot be "emasculating" to me because in my opinion, at least for me, my role as a man does not require being the person who drives the car.  :D

I agree, although women also have a social construct, an image, even a fantasy on how a "manly" man should act and behave. While some things may not be emasculating to you, the woman might see it as such and change her behavior accordingly. Then again, it's where good communication sinks in.

As I've written above, the main unit of measure is respect. It's something that cannot be explained to a woman, you just feel it. You feel secure, you feel on common grounds, and you feel like you have the full support of your woman in your life, and that she counts on you to help her and protect her if she ever needs it.

This is pretty much it. Good post.

It's fine if I don't make more money than she does, but I would see it as emasculating if I don't contribute at all. I don't know if I would feel that way if I had kids to stay home and care for, but I suspect I still would.

Nobody can out-drink me so no issue there.  :P

Being nice and caring for mom is not emasculating unless she's giving me orders. If you're still in the kid-mom frame as an adult, that does do it.

I think the psychology guys are right about the whole testing thing women do to see if their dude is still worthy of their respect. That happens. I don't think they do it on purpose though, or even realize they are doing it. If you fail the test that is a bit emasculating and does make her respect you less even if she doesn't realize it.

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

merithyn

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on July 18, 2012, 05:38:27 PM
I think the psychology guys are right about the whole testing thing women do to see if their dude is still worthy of their respect. That happens. I don't think they do it on purpose though, or even realize they are doing it. If you fail the test that is a bit emasculating and does make her respect you less even if she doesn't realize it.

Some definitely do it on purpose, even contrive situations to make sure they get the measure of a guy while they're still dating. I know some (younger) women who do this, and openly talk about it among their girlfriends. They feel important if they think he'll fight for her. When he takes charge, she feels like he's powerful enough to protect her. It's asinine, imo, though, because taking charge with his girlfriend or wife is nothing like standing up to some random guy to protect his woman. (And please. What woman worth her salt in this day and age can't take care of herself?)

FWIW, I don't need, or even want, a man to take charge of everything in order to feel cared for and loved. It isn't necessary that the guy be anything other than a managing partner in our lives together. THAT is far more manly to me than any silly test. It proves that he's comfortable with who he is, and that he's dedicated to our relationship. But then, I'm pretty secure in who I am, and those girls who tested the guys were not so much.

What I do find emasculating (really, just terribly unattractive) is a guy who feels the need to show how "manly" he is. Most of the time, those guys really aren't so manly at all. The confident man doesn't need to pose; he just is. The poser, on the other hand, screams "waste of time".
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on July 18, 2012, 08:29:44 PM
What I do find emasculating (really, just terribly unattractive) is a guy who feels the need to show how "manly" he is. Most of the time, those guys really aren't so manly at all. The confident man doesn't need to pose; he just is. The poser, on the other hand, screams "waste of time".

A little artifice can be fun.