And we're back!

Main Menu

Paradox making a Cold War game

Started by Maladict, July 02, 2012, 09:08:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drakken

Quote from: The Brain on July 04, 2012, 01:38:17 PM
It's quite horrlollible.

Sengoku is okey, and definitely realistic as far as Feudal Japan is concerned. there is Just not a lot of meat around it.

DGuller

Quote from: Viking on July 04, 2012, 04:22:44 PM
Quote from: Fireblade on July 03, 2012, 06:25:34 AM
Is Peter Ebbesen still around? I want him to do a WC as Fiji.

I demand he do it with Monaco.
Monaco may not be that hard to play, I imagine its income/province ratio would make it quite a research powerhouse.

Viking

Quote from: DGuller on July 04, 2012, 05:21:11 PM
Quote from: Viking on July 04, 2012, 04:22:44 PM
Quote from: Fireblade on July 03, 2012, 06:25:34 AM
Is Peter Ebbesen still around? I want him to do a WC as Fiji.

I demand he do it with Monaco.
Monaco may not be that hard to play, I imagine its income/province ratio would make it quite a research powerhouse.

sure, but, how to annex nuclear france? Maybe he should load prince ranier's bodyguards onto princes grace's yacht and invade malta as a first move?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Tonitrus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 04, 2012, 01:17:13 AM
Quote from: Syt on July 02, 2012, 11:35:52 AM

QuoteSoviet Union suffers worst wheat harvest in 55 years... Labor and food riots in Poland. Soviet troops invade... Cuba and Nicaragua reach troop strength goals of 500,000. El Salvador and Honduras fall... Greens Party gains control of West German Parliament. Demands withdrawal of nuclear weapons from European soil... Mexico plunged into revolution... NATO dissolves. United States stands alone.
:lol: Nice reference, but if the Soviets were forced to invade Poland then they're not exactly doing well either. ;)

They managed to invade North America, take Alaska, and roll up the Great Plains to Cheyenne, with a breadth from the Rockies to the Mississipi.  Not too shabby a start.

Not to mention D.C. and Omaha got nuked (with no apparent retaliatory strike).

Though, CdM might approve of China getting fried....but who in the early 80's thought the PRC was all that big a deal?  :P

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tonitrus on July 04, 2012, 11:07:21 PM
Though, CdM might approve of China getting fried....but who in the early 80's thought the PRC was all that big a deal?  :P

Ain't liked those fuckers since '50.

garbon

Quote from: Drakken on July 04, 2012, 05:04:08 PM
It's quite horrlollible.

Sengoku is okey, and definitely realistic as far as Feudal Japan is concerned. there is Just not a lot of meat around it.

Very dull.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

szmik

Quote from: garbon on July 05, 2012, 10:45:25 AM
Quote from: Drakken on July 04, 2012, 05:04:08 PM
It's quite horrlollible.

Very dull.
:yes:

no world conquest with Xhosa :(
Quote from: Neil on September 23, 2011, 08:41:24 AM
That's why Martinus, for all his spending on the trappings of wealth and taste, will never really have class.  He's just trying too hard to be something he isn't (an intelligent, tasteful gentleman), trying desperately to hide what he is (Polish trash with money and a severe behavioral disorder), and it shows in everything he says and does.  He's not our equal, not by a mile.

Syt

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?624662-Wild-and-agressive-red-bears-VS-beautiful-and-peacefull-blue-falcons-Stereotypes!-(

QuoteThere are a lot of things that we cannot predict about EvW.
But there is one thing that I am afraid of, probably, most of all: stereotypes.

Sure, there are only stupid agressive red bears in Russia, drinking Vodka, playing Balalaika and going to conquer all the Holy Peacefull Western world. Of course!
Guys, I know that play on stereotypes is a profitable marketing strategy (and the majority of your consumers are, of course, people from USA and Western Europe), but - hey - the ethic is still there. That doesn't mean you can simply draw any image of SU you want. Because, when you are distorting it (the actual reality of SU) that means You are rewriting the History in eyes of consumers. A lot of people will reinforce their stereotypes after playing this game and seeing agressive red bears. I'm saying it as a sociologist.

Just look at the picture (Devs avatars):

Bear:
1. Red color is usually perceived as a color of aggression;
2. The amount of red color on the picture is much more then the amount of blue color - which also means an aggressive position of the bear, a threat to a blue eagle;
3. Unlike the eagle with its star, white and yellow colors, the bear is absolutely red - which means totally pure aggression.
2. Fangs of the bear are bared - which is also a symbol of aggression.
3. The whole SU is represented by the bear - that symbolizes its rigidities, clumsiness, stupidity. One can see a big red head with smaall eyes (in relation to head's size) that symbolizes that he acts roughly, inaccurately.

And lets now look at the eagle:
1. First of all, its a bird - an animal which is flexible, light and can fly. And ability to fly means freedom.
2. Than, as a bird, it looks much less agressive.
3. It's also much more detailed - more different colors and figures (especially, star), more flexible lines, that means that this is the "main character" (and it is threatened by a big aggressive thing).
4. It's also smaller on the picture - which also means that a smaller bird is threatened by bigger bear and takes the defensive position against him.
5. As eagle, it has very good vision and so it can act very accurately. And these accuracy and flexibility mean technological advance of the US.

So I suppose, you see the idea.

An idea which is hurtful for people of my country.
We never perceived ourselves as a bears. This is a foreign stereotypical label.
And all the time after WWII we percieved ourselves as the most peacefull nation.
So was the state policy - it was defensive. Defensive against the numerically overwhelming enemy.
We also had a perfect science and education. Though it was limited by the government, it was still brilliant.
And the country wasn't as rigid as it's may seem after looking on this picture.

So, please, be polite and unprejudiced with both sides. Don't reproduce stereotypes and myths since they are not true.
I hope, this is only a picture and not a symbol of PI's politics in EvW game. And the game won't be so stereotypical as this picture...

I'm writing all these things here and in related threads in hope to struggle with stereotypes that are still presented here. And I'm very afraid of these stereotypes being moved into the game.

Here some links to prove my statements:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2002...russia.comment
http://www.zihniozdil.info/empire_evil.pdf
http://www.thirdworldtraveler.com/He...st_Herman.html
http://www.lewrockwell.com/gregory/gregory21.html
http://www.huppi.com/kangaroo/CIAtimeline.html
They are very, very important.
To balance the sight at the Cold War.

This is not just a "history thread", but a thread for the Truth, for the History not to be slandered.
The game itself will worth a little if it is going to be as stereotypical as the picture above.
Sorry for the rhetoric, but I just can't look calmly, when there is a risk of the history (and especially, the history of my country and my people) to be slandered.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

QuoteSo was the state policy - it was defensive. Defensive against the numerically overwhelming enemy.
We also had a perfect science and education. Though it was limited by the government, it was still brilliant.
And the country wasn't as rigid as it's may seem after looking on this picture.

not sure what to say here.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Razgovory

It's difficult to pick up parody on the Pdox boards.  You get all sorts of loons.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on August 10, 2012, 05:32:12 PM
It's difficult to pick up parody on the Pdox boards.  You get all sorts of loons.

I would love to create a snoop account there, but I'd hate to go through all that trouble just to get banned within the first dozen or so posts.

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 10, 2012, 08:18:02 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 10, 2012, 05:32:12 PM

I would love to create a snoop account there, but I'd hate to go through all that trouble just to get banned within the first dozen or so posts.

I read some of the rest of thread.  Some Russian kid was going on about how the Soviet Union didn't actually invade Poland in 1939.  They just sorta picked up some territory that the Poles left.  Like finding loose change in your couch.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017