News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Paradox making a Cold War game

Started by Maladict, July 02, 2012, 09:08:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on July 02, 2012, 09:47:07 AM
My general reaction is "meh". I would like a meaningful Cold War game, but I don't think Paradox can pull it off. Balance of Power and Shadow President were the best entries into the field, and SP was rather average itself.

this

Faeelin

Can you even have a game where the Soviets win the Cold War? How could that even be plausible?

Josquius

It'll have to take huge steps away from the conquer those provinces map based games of paradox.
██████
██████
██████

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Syt on July 02, 2012, 10:16:30 AM
The idea of having a CW game where you can play any nation (e.g. Egypt, or Israel, or India or the likes) has potential, but I don't see any company tackling this successfully and delivering a fun product.

No kidding.  BOY I CANT WAIT TO WORK ON GUATEMALAN AGRICULTURAL POLICY DURING THE CUBAN MISSILE CRISIS SCENARIO
WTF UNITED FRUIT EVENT???

Ed Anger

The Americans give your people Gonorrhea
They conduct medical tests in your country

Health -10
Population -10000
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

Quote from: Syt on July 02, 2012, 09:47:07 AM
My general reaction is "meh". I would like a meaningful Cold War game, but I don't think Paradox can pull it off. Balance of Power and Shadow President were the best entries into the field, and SP was rather average itself.

Wasn't Shadow President the game where you just nuked everybody?  At least that's how I played.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: Faeelin on July 02, 2012, 10:35:48 AM
Can you even have a game where the Soviets win the Cold War? How could that even be plausible?

I guess if your country doesn't collapse in 1991, it's a win?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Brain

Hippies Take Command.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

QuoteSoviet Union suffers worst wheat harvest in 55 years... Labor and food riots in Poland. Soviet troops invade... Cuba and Nicaragua reach troop strength goals of 500,000. El Salvador and Honduras fall... Greens Party gains control of West German Parliament. Demands withdrawal of nuclear weapons from European soil... Mexico plunged into revolution... NATO dissolves. United States stands alone.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Syt on July 02, 2012, 11:35:52 AM

QuoteSoviet Union suffers worst wheat harvest in 55 years... Labor and food riots in Poland. Soviet troops invade... Cuba and Nicaragua reach troop strength goals of 500,000. El Salvador and Honduras fall... Greens Party gains control of West German Parliament. Demands withdrawal of nuclear weapons from European soil... Mexico plunged into revolution... NATO dissolves. United States stands alone.

And no checking overdraft fees.

Barrister

I would adore an even half-good Cold War game.  I guess Paradox is better placed than most to make it happen, but even then I am sceptical about using their engine to do it.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

Well, looking at P'dox catalogue the game should probably be more along the lines of Victoria - internal politics, research, spheres of influence, a world market (oil embargo, consumer products or lack thereof come to mind), a focus on prestige, the expeditions mechanic that could be adapted to the space race . . .
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Do you have to play as Byzantium?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.