News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Paradox making a Cold War game

Started by Maladict, July 02, 2012, 09:08:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maladict

CountDeMoney

Super.  Can't wait to see the 2,300 events created for Sweden that IMPACTS TEH ENTIRE WURLD

Tamas

Maladict

garbon

This'll be interesting just to say how it pans out.  Presumably a Cold War game would wanna be quite a bit different from Arsenal of Democracy.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 02, 2012, 09:10:40 AM
Super.  Can't wait to see the 2,300 events created for Sweden that IMPACTS TEH ENTIRE WURLD

It's part of P'dox's licensing program so that seems unlikely.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Hurm.

Presumably they will accurately depict the beneficial effects of an American first strike on the Soviet Union in the 1945-1956 period.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Tamas

well I hate to burst the bubble too soon but if its based on hoi3 you either have ww3 at the second day or you fall asleep in boredom unless they totally overhaul everything but warfare.

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on July 02, 2012, 09:40:46 AM
well I hate to burst the bubble too soon but if its based on hoi3 you either have ww3 at the second day or you fall asleep in boredom unless they totally overhaul everything but warfare.

Quote from: JohanIts a completely new game that uses some code from hoi though, like ck2 uses some code from eu3.

Syt

My general reaction is "meh". I would like a meaningful Cold War game, but I don't think Paradox can pull it off. Balance of Power and Shadow President were the best entries into the field, and SP was rather average itself.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

sbr

I will be following but I don't expect much either.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Syt on July 02, 2012, 09:47:07 AM
My general reaction is "meh". I would like a meaningful Cold War game, but I don't think Paradox can pull it off. Balance of Power and Shadow President were the best entries into the field, and SP was rather average itself.

And even Balance of Power's AI was incredibly predictable, and the escalation model was easy to manipulate.

I don't see how a Cold War game based on any kind of Paradox's pseudo-RTS engines could work at all.

Faeelin

Rather see what that Clausewitz-based Napoleon game will be.

Syt

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 02, 2012, 10:01:48 AM
Quote from: Syt on July 02, 2012, 09:47:07 AM

And even Balance of Power's AI was incredibly predictable, and the escalation model was easy to manipulate.

Tru dat.

Then there's Supreme Ruler: Cold War, but its performance issues kept me away (sluggishly slow), and gameplay wise it doesn't seem to be an epiphany, either.

The idea of having a CW game where you can play any nation (e.g. Egypt, or Israel, or India or the likes) has potential, but I don't see any company tackling this successfully and delivering a fun product.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ed Anger

I'd love to have a new Reforger '88, Gray Seas and Gray Skies or Geopolitique 1990.

I miss SSI.  :(
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive