Calling Languish parents: Why did you decide to have children?

Started by Martinus, July 02, 2012, 04:00:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

Quote from: Martinus on July 03, 2012, 05:09:56 AM
Valdemar:  :moon:

Eight posts in a row, and they look much better after I put you on my ignore list.
I'm tired of ignore lists.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Neil on July 03, 2012, 09:05:01 AM
Quote from: Martinus on July 03, 2012, 05:09:56 AM
Valdemar:  :moon:

Eight posts in a row, and they look much better after I put you on my ignore list.
I'm tired of ignore lists.

Removed them, you have the power!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

CountDeMoney

I concur.  We're a community;  no reason why everyone can't share in the same pain.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Martinus on July 02, 2012, 06:03:42 AM
Indeed. Besides, the way I see it, as thinking and self-aware beings, the onus should be on us to show why we want to bring someone into the world, not the opposite. The Kant's practical imperative is to always treat humanity of others as a goal in itself and never as only a means to reach another goal - so creating a human being for the purpose of not being lonely, or to have someone remember you, or to bring happiness to your life or your relationship, or to secure your retirement is the utmostly selfish and immoral reason because then the kid is just a tool for you to feel better about yourself.

I don't doubt a lot of people have kids for non-selfish reasons though that's why I started this thread. Although I guess now I spilled the beans about my purpose

Too bad, otherwise I never would have guessed you started the thread to discuss Kantian philosophy.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

Mart, have you ever asked your parents why they had you?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Martinus

Quote from: Syt on July 03, 2012, 11:29:09 AM

This is a cheap shot and a typical response in discussions like this. Rather lame.

Tamas

Quote from: Martinus on July 03, 2012, 11:35:16 AM

This is a cheap shot and a typical response in discussions like this. Rather lame.

why? If they engaged in Kantian doubt over the whole thing instead, you wouldn't exist.

Berkut

Quote from: Martinus on July 03, 2012, 02:46:58 AM
Quote from: Barrister on July 02, 2012, 11:14:23 AM
Because when I get home from work I hear a very excited "daddy!", hear the pitter-patter of little feet, and get a huge enthusiastic hug.

That's why.

Another selfish reason. Could have just got a dog. :P
Ye
Quote from: Martinus on July 03, 2012, 02:46:58 AM
Quote from: Barrister on July 02, 2012, 11:14:23 AM
Because when I get home from work I hear a very excited "daddy!", hear the pitter-patter of little feet, and get a huge enthusiastic hug.

That's why.

Another selfish reason. Could have just got a dog. :P

Sure, because a dog is a lot like a child. No difference there at all.

I am not sure what point you are trying to make though - why are you using "selfish" as a pejorative term in this context? Why is it bad to want to have children because it brings one joy/pleasure/happiness?

Like I've said, and you've failed to understand, we are programmed to derive enjoyment from having children - but the enjoyment is not the point. Just like you enjoy sex, the enjoyment is not the reason for sex, it is just a means for our biology to encourage us to engage in an activity that is beneficial to life.

The root "reason" is that without procreation, life ends. This is true for all organisms.

You want to just stop at some arbitrary level (the "because we enjoy it") level so you can feel smug and superior about not having kids, as if your reasons to not have them are somehow more valid than our reasons to have them. But that is, of course, completely arbitrary. The reason we enjoy it is because our biology demands that we continue our species.

Can there be a better reason to do anything?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Martinus

Quote from: Tamas on July 03, 2012, 11:39:17 AM

why? If they engaged in Kantian doubt over the whole thing instead, you wouldn't exist.

If I have never been born it wouldn't matter to me. You can't conduct an existentialist debate ex post ante.

Syt

I see how the question may seem facetious, but it was meant earnestly. Why would you quiz people on the interwebs, not all of which you have met, but not your own parents?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

Quote from: Syt on July 03, 2012, 11:49:02 AM

I see how the question may seem facetious, but it was meant earnestly. Why would you quiz people on the interwebs, not all of which you have met, but not your own parents?

Your question already contains its own answer - I'm making sure my question is devoid of any emotional element by the virtue of it being asked to people with whom I share hardly any emotional connection with (or none at all). :)