Calling Languish parents: Why did you decide to have children?

Started by Martinus, July 02, 2012, 04:00:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valdemar

Quote from: The Brain on July 02, 2012, 11:49:15 AM
"Biology" is the answer? Of course! I see it clearly now.

no biology is the justification according the marti,

42 would be the answer ;)

V

Valdemar

Quote from: Martinus on July 03, 2012, 02:46:58 AM
Quote from: Barrister on July 02, 2012, 11:14:23 AM
Because when I get home from work I hear a very excited "daddy!", hear the pitter-patter of little feet, and get a huge enthusiastic hug.

That's why.

Another selfish reason. Could have just got a dog. :P

A talking dog  :D now that would be something...

V

Valdemar

Quote from: Martinus on July 03, 2012, 02:51:02 AM

Not really. There is a vast gulf of difference between what we want and what we decide to do, especially when this affects lives of other human beings who have no say in the decision.

Is that so?  :rolleyes: Then pray explain why the acts of sexuality isn't a choice, the distinction between desiring to kiss feet and actually persuing them?

V

Valdemar

Quote from: The Brain on July 03, 2012, 03:00:30 AM
"Why did you decide to have children?" is a legitimate question. It's a major decision that most people face and it's very often a conscious decision. That some people get defensive about it says more about those people than about the question.

But it is so much more fun asking "Why does Martinus wants to know? And why did he chose the word "justification" instead of explanation or reasoning? What is it the pole really needs to express, but cannot say in an inoffensive way?"

V

dps

"Why did you decide to have children?" is a legitimate question. It's a major decision that most people face and it's very often a conscious decision. That some people get defensive about it says more about those people than about the question.

When their answer is rejected as being a legitimate reason, and/or characterized as selfish or immoral (or at least amoral), it's not hard to see why they'd get defensive.  And considering the past attitutdes towards parents and children that the person asking the question had shown in the past, it's not hard to see why they'd expect that sort of response, even before answering, either.

Valdemar

Quote from: dps on July 03, 2012, 04:33:13 AM

When their answer is rejected as being a legitimate reason, and/or characterized as selfish or immoral (or at least amoral), it's not hard to see why they'd get defensive.  And considering the past attitutdes towards parents and children that the person asking the question had shown in the past, it's not hard to see why they'd expect that sort of response, even before answering, either.

We need an applaud smilie  :yes:

V

Martinus

Valdemar:  :moon:

Eight posts in a row, and they look much better after I put you on my ignore list.

Razgovory

What's the point of posting here if you ignore everyone?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on July 03, 2012, 05:16:56 AM
What's the point of posting here if you ignore everyone?

Not everyone. I have only 4 people on my ignore list.

Valdemar

Quote from: Martinus on July 03, 2012, 05:09:56 AM

Eight posts in a row, and they look much better after I put you on my ignore list.

Chicken  :nelson:

you replied two three posts in a row several times in this thread, and when I get back online and respond in kind all you can do is run away tail between legs :D

You even started the thread...

V

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on July 02, 2012, 04:33:25 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 02, 2012, 02:52:35 PM
Quote from: Barrister on July 02, 2012, 02:49:56 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on July 02, 2012, 12:45:56 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on July 02, 2012, 11:48:52 AM
Until contraception was invented, it wasn't nearly the deliberate decision it is now either.

The facial was one of humanity's earliest inventions, predating the wheel in many cultures.

Probably not.

I was at a lecture several years ago when the speaker went off on a sidetrack about how pronography had changed society's sexual expectations.  He was talking about anal sex in particular - that 40-50 years ago to see an anal sexual assault was extremely rare.  Now it is fairly commonplace.  The "biological imperative" hasn't changed, but access to sexually explicit material has.

In other words - if you had been born even a mere 100 years ago you probably would have no idea what a "facial" is, and have no interest in performing it.

I'm not really sure how your anecdote relates to what Ide said.  After all, anal sex still existed even when most people didn't have access to sexually explicit material.

I suspect that the rate at which it existed was far, far less than it is today.

An entirely different statement. :P

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Valdemar on July 03, 2012, 05:35:45 AM
Quote from: Martinus on July 03, 2012, 05:09:56 AM

Chicken  :nelson:

you replied two three posts in a row several times in this thread, and when I get back online and respond in kind all you can do is run away tail between legs :D

You even started the thread...

V

Are we children? I hats to say anything to support him but more like you were a waste of his time.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valdemar

Quote from: garbon on July 03, 2012, 07:42:53 AM

Are we children? I hats to say anything to support him but more like you were a waste of his time.
[/quote]

In that case, what was the justification for getting us?  :P

Seriously, I replied more or less in tune to his replies, being on a day later made it several posts.

But I fail to see how him chosing NOT to respond is anymore or any less childish or time wasting than me responding to him?

V

DGuller

I have a pretty selfless motivation for wanting to have children.  I think it would be a real loss to the world if my genes went to waste.