Calling Languish parents: Why did you decide to have children?

Started by Martinus, July 02, 2012, 04:00:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on July 02, 2012, 11:04:33 AM
Quote from: garbon on July 02, 2012, 10:59:56 AM
I don't know. I mean I guess this thread gave us that Berkut thinks psychology is irrelevant. All decisions are down to biology.

I didn't get that from his post at all. I read it to mean that the basic desire stems from an innate need, but that the decision to do so is open to choice. Ergo, psychology does factor into the doing of the deed, if not specifically the desire to do so.

I don't see how that distinction is relevant to the question Mart asked. As in why it is necessary to mention base desire since Marti was asking people for their personal reasons.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Berkut

Quote from: garbon on July 02, 2012, 10:34:37 AM
Quote from: Berkut on July 02, 2012, 10:17:31 AM
What is funny about the question is that Marty seems to understand (and feel no need to justify) why he wants to have sex, but is confused by why people want children. Does he not even understand that HIS desire to fuck is nothing at all more than the physical manifestation of the desire to procreate that all living beings (in general) have by definition?

It's all biology.

That seems a bit reductive. Presumably Marti has sex (or doesn't as the case maybe) because it feels pleasurable - not because his genes are telling him he should ape procreative sex.

It is pleasurable because he is programmed to find it pleasurable though.

Just like I am programmed to find raising children pleasurable.

We can break it down into smaller pieces in both cases - I like watching my son do well in school, because concern for the success of my progeny is conducive towards me being a parent likely to have children who are also successful. Marty likes the feeling of someone sucking his dick because those who enjoy having their genitals stimulated are more likely to procreate than those who do not, hence our bodies find that pleasurable.

It is reductive, but then, so was his question.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 02, 2012, 10:57:39 AM
Quote from: garbon on July 02, 2012, 10:35:16 AM
We ain't in the same box, hon. Don't get uppity.

lulz, Martinus:  A Homo Even Other Homos Can't Fucking Stand

I don't know. I mean I guess this thread gave us that Berkut thinks psychology is irrelevant. All decisions are down to biology.

:boggle:

0 rows returned

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on July 02, 2012, 11:09:16 AM
What is funny about the question is that Marty seems to understand (and feel no need to justify) why he wants to have sex, but is confused by why people want children. Does he not even understand that HIS desire to fuck is nothing at all more than the physical manifestation of the desire to procreate that all living beings (in general) have by definition?

It's all biology.

That seems a bit reductive. Presumably Marti has sex (or doesn't as the case maybe) because it feels pleasurable - not because his genes are telling him he should ape procreative sex.

We can break it down into smaller pieces in both cases - I like watching my son do well in school, because concern for the success of my progeny is conducive towards me being a parent likely to have children who are also successful. Marty likes the feeling of someone sucking his dick because those who enjoy having their genitals stimulated are more likely to procreate than those who do not, hence our bodies find that pleasurable.

Let's continue this vein then. Let's say Marti is someone who doesn't like anyone touching him sexually but does find it arousing to be peed on. Biological reasoning for that?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on July 02, 2012, 11:09:59 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 02, 2012, 10:57:39 AM
Quote from: garbon on July 02, 2012, 10:35:16 AM
We ain't in the same box, hon. Don't get uppity.

lulz, Martinus:  A Homo Even Other Homos Can't Fucking Stand

:boggle:

Marti asks why people who had kids chose to have kids. You retort that it is because of biology. That strikes me as an odd answer considering that they are many people who decide not to have kids - so the decision to have kids must be something more than just biology dictated it.

Barrister

Because when I get home from work I hear a very excited "daddy!", hear the pitter-patter of little feet, and get a huge enthusiastic hug.

That's why.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Berkut

Quote from: garbon on July 02, 2012, 11:11:59 AM
Quote from: Berkut on July 02, 2012, 11:09:16 AM

It's all biology.

Let's continue this vein then. Let's say Marti is someone who doesn't like anyone touching him sexually but does find it arousing to be peed on. Biological reasoning for that?

You are asking me about the vagaries of sexual function or dis-function?

How in the hell should I know why people like to have people piss on them?

0 rows returned

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on July 02, 2012, 11:29:36 AM

You're the one who started me down the rabbit hole.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: garbon on July 02, 2012, 11:34:25 AM

Speaking of which, what does the caption under your avatar mean?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Berkut

Quote from: garbon on July 02, 2012, 11:34:25 AM
Quote from: Berkut on July 02, 2012, 11:29:36 AM

Not really. I just stated the obvious answer to a rather obvious question.

I have no idea what relevance understanding why people like to be urinated on has to whether my response was correct or not.

You might as well point out that while many people like ice cream, some do not, therefore maybe some people really don't like to eat, and my claim that the desire to eat is basic biology is incorrect.

It is a safe bet that the moment you start bringing up corner case examples in a discussion about general observations, you've jumped the shark.

Marty asked why a bunch of people decided to have kids. Not why some tiny fraction of the population has unusual sexual preferences.

0 rows returned

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on July 02, 2012, 11:38:57 AM
Not really. I just stated the obvious answer to a rather obvious question.

I have no idea what relevance understanding why people like to be urinated on has to whether my response was correct or not.

You might as well point out that while many people like ice cream, some do not, therefore maybe some people really don't like to eat, and my claim that the desire to eat is basic biology is incorrect.

It is a safe bet that the moment you start bringing up corner case examples in a discussion about general observations, you've jumped the shark.

Marty asked why a bunch of people decided to have kids. Not why some tiny fraction of the population has unusual sexual preferences.

Like I said many people choose not to have kids. Jumping to biology as the explanation seems odd considering that those who chose not to have kids presumably had a similar biologic makeup.  It also seems odd given that Marti wanted to know why parents here chose to have kids which naturally lends itself to personal reasons.

Besides, you're the one who wanted to start explaining Marti's sexual preferences so if I jumped the shark, I was only following your lead.

And to be clear, I'm not debating that biology plays a role in the desire to have children, but I don't see how that's relevant to what Marti asked / Marti's troll.