Obama to fire gay military officer. Martinus pops vein.

Started by MadImmortalMan, May 08, 2009, 02:56:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Quote from: The Brain on May 08, 2009, 05:55:12 PM
Quote from: Martinus on May 08, 2009, 05:54:43 PM
Quote from: The Brain on May 08, 2009, 05:53:28 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on May 08, 2009, 05:50:16 PM
I'm not a military person.  :huh:

Why not?
Perhaps he is a man of peace. Except in his domestic life.

Gay.

Indeed. I thought that makes the quote appropriate.  ;)

Btw, kudos for recognizing it. :P

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

grumbler

Quote from: Phillip V on May 08, 2009, 05:16:32 PM
Quote from: grumbler on May 08, 2009, 04:44:11 PM
How many years have you served, again?

This is about the dumbest thing I have heard on languish, and I have been here a long time.

Oh, and the answer for me is 26 years.
Thanks for calling me dumb. Now educate me.
I asked a question.  Can you answer a simple question, or can you not?

It isn't my job to educate you.  I just wanna know how many years of actual experience stood behind such a claim.  Just for curiousity's sake.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Neil

Why hasn't Martinus threatened to kill himself yet?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Habsburg

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 08, 2009, 03:13:45 PM
So this guy went on national television to force the Presidents hand?

:yes:
If the President is anything like me, forcing our hand is not viewed well.

Hats off to Choi for trying, but I can't blame Obama for not dropping everything and addressing this issue.

Obama's foreign policy, now that I may blame him for, and it has me bed-wetting every night in terror.  :(

Habsburg

:mad:

Phillip V

Quote from: grumbler on May 08, 2009, 06:34:15 PM
Quote from: Phillip VThanks for calling me dumb. Now educate me.
I asked a question.  Can you answer a simple question, or can you not?

It isn't my job to educate you.  I just wanna know how many years of actual experience stood behind such a claim.  Just for curiousity's sake.
And I asked you to explain your outrage, can you not? 3.5 years time-in-service. I ask you to educate me not for curiosity's sake, but for the benefit of myself and others that may have to deal with me in the future.

grumbler

Quote from: Phillip V on May 08, 2009, 07:03:00 PM
And I asked you to explain your outrage, can you not? 3.5 years time-in-service. I ask you to educate me not for curiosity's sake, but for the benefit of myself and others that may have to deal with me in the future.
So you served 3.5 years in the US military, and still have the idea that "the point of military service is to sacrifice your beliefs for your career"?  Absolutely no one I ever encountered in the US military (and, I grant you, I never encountered Hans) would have agreed with the idea that one should sacrifice beliefs merely because it served one's career.  Every serviceman is supposed to be trained to recognize lawful and unlawful orders, and to resist unlawful orders no matter the damage to career.

I suppose that if the US Army had hanged Lt Calley, as was right and proper, this discussion would not even be taking place.  It boggles my mind that a serving (or former-service) US military member would argue that one's beliefs not only should be sacrificed for one's career, but that this was "the point of military service"!  :blink:

Any other servicemembers or vets wanna weigh in on this?  Maybe things have changed.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Phillip V

Quote from: grumbler on May 08, 2009, 07:22:18 PM
So you served 3.5 years in the US military, and still have the idea that "the point of military service is to sacrifice your beliefs for your career"?  Absolutely no one I ever encountered in the US military (and, I grant you, I never encountered Hans) would have agreed with the idea that one should sacrifice beliefs merely because it served one's career.  Every serviceman is supposed to be trained to recognize lawful and unlawful orders, and to resist unlawful orders no matter the damage to career.

I suppose that if the US Army had hanged Lt Calley, as was right and proper, this discussion would not even be taking place.  It boggles my mind that a serving (or former-service) US military member would argue that one's beliefs not only should be sacrificed for one's career, but that this was "the point of military service"!  :blink:

Any other servicemembers or vets wanna weigh in on this?  Maybe things have changed.
Yes, I figured someone might point that out. It was a simple sentence and cast a wide generalization.

Phillip V

I had a drill sergeant who tried to fuck some trainees (in the field, yuck) and took some bribes to give good scores on PT tests. I cooperated with CID to reel him in, but it would have been inappropriate of me to go on television about it.

Neil

Quote from: grumbler on May 08, 2009, 07:22:18 PM
I suppose that if the US Army had hanged Lt Calley, as was right and proper, this discussion would not even be taking place.
Why would the US have hanged Calley?  They didn't lose the Vietnam War.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

grumbler

Quote from: Neil on May 08, 2009, 07:37:32 PM
Why would the US have hanged Calley?  They didn't lose the Vietnam War.
To encourage the others.

Bayraktar!