Obama to fire gay military officer. Martinus pops vein.

Started by MadImmortalMan, May 08, 2009, 02:56:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Is this Obama's fault? I thought don't ask don't tell was a law. He may not have had a choice.

Maybe this will get overturning that closer to the top of the agenda, though. The democrats have a filibuster proof majority, the only reason for delay that I can see is fundraising.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Razgovory

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 08, 2009, 03:38:57 PM

Only the marti's of the world benefit. So Choi needs to be crushed under the Obamahitler's boot heel.

It is a sweet and seemly thing to sacrifice your career to make Marty unhappy.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 08, 2009, 03:42:28 PM
Correction.  Choi was out.  Marti isnt even sure if he is in.

Yeah Marty would have shut up and kept his career...but bitched on languish alot.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Phillip V

Quote from: Valmy on May 08, 2009, 03:29:43 PM
How does sacrificing your career for something you believe in not selfless?
Nope. The point of military service is to sacrifice your beliefs for your career.

I am against why we went into Iraq, but I sure as hell ain't gonna go on national television and bitch about it. What many anti-war generals did was to first retire before they came out against the war and called for Rumsfeld's head.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Phillip V on May 08, 2009, 03:51:23 PM
Nope. The point of military service is to sacrifice your beliefs for your career.

I am against why we went into Iraq, but I sure as hell ain't gonna go on national television and bitch about it. What many anti-war generals did was to first retire before they came out against the war and called for Rumsfeld's head.

He is not just doing this to be critical of policy he is creating a test case on the best possible facts to show how silly the law is.  He needs to sacrifice himself to do that.

Phillip V

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 08, 2009, 03:55:02 PM
He is not just doing this to be critical of policy he is creating a test case on the best possible facts to show how silly the law is.  He needs to sacrifice himself to do that.
Yes, the objective is understood. The consequence should be understood, too.

Valmy

Fair enough.  Anyway he clearly intended for this exact outcome.

Pity he happened to be an Arabic linguist.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Phillip V

Quote from: Valmy on May 08, 2009, 04:02:39 PM
Indeed.

Though, I suppose he can go back to Iraq in a civilian status? I bet that would be quite lucrative, too.

derspiess

Valmy, are you upset that the Army lost an Arab linguist?  Just wondering :P
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Neil

Quote from: Valmy on May 08, 2009, 04:02:39 PM
Why?  The US is fleeing the region anyways, tail between their legs.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Phillip V

Quote from: Neil on May 08, 2009, 04:12:30 PM
Why?  The US is fleeing the region anyways, tail between their legs.
I actually met a Dari/Pashto speaker at a gas station, he expressed his interest, and now he is applying for a DoD civilian job as a linguist. :cool:

garbon

Quote from: Queequeg on May 08, 2009, 03:36:00 PM
:huh:
Explain?
I don't think that any person is disposable enough and that a lot that is inherent in being an indvidual isn't optimal for what the military needs (like self vs. selflessness).
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

How many years have you served, again?

This is about the dumbest thing I have heard on languish, and I have been here a long time.

Oh, and the answer for me is 26 years.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

God I would have been bored to tears if I worked for the same employer 26 years.

But whatever. Dont ask don't tell is a law? Hilarious.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ed Anger

I served on the Love Boat. I set the course for adventure.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive