The fat years are over - Foie Gras banned in California as of 1st July.

Started by Syt, June 29, 2012, 03:40:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

Quote from: DGuller on June 29, 2012, 03:56:56 PM
Wouldn't lack of garbage cover attract undesirable visitors?
Quote from: DGuller on June 29, 2012, 03:56:56 PM
Wouldn't lack of garbage cover attract undesirable visitors?

Yes, which is why not having a cover on the dumpster is a fairly major deduction.  But it doesn't directly affect food safety, since most restaurants don't serve food that's been in the dumpster.  Granted, the places Cal eats are probably exceptions.

DGuller

Your definition of "directly" seems unusually narrow.  The job of inspectors isn't just to ensure that the food being served is free of mouse droppings right that minute when they're there.  Their job is to ensure that the conditions in the kitchen are such that mouse droppings wouldn't be on the menu a week after they left.

dps

Quote from: DGuller on June 29, 2012, 04:36:33 PM
Your definition of "directly" seems unusually narrow.  The job of inspectors isn't just to ensure that the food being served is free of mouse droppings right that minute when they're there.  Their job is to ensure that the conditions in the kitchen are such that mouse droppings wouldn't be on the menu a week after they left.

Well, what I'm getting at is that the dumpster is going to attract a certain amount of vermin, whether it has a cover or not.  In trying to keep the vermin out of the restaurant itself, having the dumpter set back a distance from the building and keeping the interior of the restaurant clean are more important than having a cover on the dumpster.

I'm not suggesting that having a cover on the dumpster isn't a good idea, or that not having one shouldn't be a deduction.  Rather, it's that in some jurisdictions, it's more points off than things that are, IMO, far worse from a food safety standpoint.

Martinus

szmik

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 29, 2012, 01:09:34 PM
Given Szmik's attitude, I wonder about that food I had in Gdansk a while back.  :(

I'm assuming he's a polack.

And you should, it's all corrupt in Poland.  :nelson: ... otherwise our economy would sunk like U-Boots during WW2, under all regulations.

Funny thing is, you kind of expect restaurant owners to poison their customers, while health inspectors are your only ditch.  :D 
Quote from: Neil on September 23, 2011, 08:41:24 AM
That's why Martinus, for all his spending on the trappings of wealth and taste, will never really have class.  He's just trying too hard to be something he isn't (an intelligent, tasteful gentleman), trying desperately to hide what he is (Polish trash with money and a severe behavioral disorder), and it shows in everything he says and does.  He's not our equal, not by a mile.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

Quote from: Razgovory on June 29, 2012, 03:07:14 PM

Yes, we had a similar thread a year ago.  How ever some persons were taking the opposite position.  Of course that law was aimed at religious minorities and animal cruelty was simply used as a cover.  http://languish.org/forums/index.php/topic,5349.0.html  Well one person was at least...

I haven't changed my mind.  It's just as cruel as forcing the animal to eat until the liver explode.
For foie gras as well as for eating meat, there are ways that cause much less suffering to the animal than others.

It's the difference between a mafia hit with a bullet in the head and the Montreal Ripper.

Besides, my comment was about your reaction that you don't care what people eat, where it has really nothing to do.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Razgovory

Mostly I was interested in the Euro bigotry.  The animal cruelty was just a facade.  "How dare they use Kosher slaughter.  How cruel.  How barbaric.  How Bronze age!  What, ban Foi gras because of animal cruelty?  Outrageous!  Fucking hilarious.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.