The fat years are over - Foie Gras banned in California as of 1st July.

Started by Syt, June 29, 2012, 03:40:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gups

I can understand Californians who like foie gras or who dislike govt. interference in what they can and can't eat to be upset by this.

But why would anyone else give a toss?

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Gups on June 29, 2012, 09:38:24 AM
I can understand Californians who like foie gras or who dislike govt. interference in what they can and can't eat to be upset by this.

Because they made money off selling foie gras to Californians.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Gups

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 29, 2012, 09:43:33 AM

Because they made money off selling foie gras to Californians.

Of course, I forgot the huge foie gras making constinuency.

Malthus

The only reason is to note it points to a larger trend of local governments getting involved in regulating stuff that people consume (assuming that it does).
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Gups on June 29, 2012, 09:49:43 AM

It seems big enough for this to make international news yes.  Since almost all of it is made in one country and Cali is a major consumer.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on June 29, 2012, 09:54:01 AM

It seems big enough for this to make international news yes.  Since almost all of it is made in one country and Cali is a major consumer.

And in many things California leads the way - like California's smoking ban inspiring other states to make similar moves.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on June 29, 2012, 10:05:53 AM

And in many things California leads the way - like California's smoking ban inspiring other states to make similar moves.
Or California's budget deficits inspiring other states to, er, well.

Grey Fox

Quote from: DGuller on June 29, 2012, 10:11:12 AM
Quote from: garbon on June 29, 2012, 10:05:53 AM

You mean, Greece is the fault of Californians?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on June 29, 2012, 10:11:12 AM

I didn't say that all of California's inspiration was positive!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Gups

Since 80% of foie gras is consumed in France, I doubt Cali is really that big of a producer.

It's international news because it is a divisive issue. I can understand those who are against foie gras being very interested and pleased about this. I just don't understand why someone like Marti could possible care.

Grey Fox

That's not what Valmy is saying Gups.

He's saying that France is the major producer.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 29, 2012, 09:17:11 AM
Do they use lamb on gyros? Cause otherwise I don't think I've ever had any.  :hmm:

You've never eaten Indian food?  :huh:

Yes, gyro is a combination of lamb and beef.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Gups

My bad, I meant to say that I doubted that Cali was that big a consumer. But sure teh Foie Gras industry is going to make a fuss if any country or state bans their product, even if its a small part of their exports.