The fat years are over - Foie Gras banned in California as of 1st July.

Started by Syt, June 29, 2012, 03:40:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Razgovory

What does Foie Gras taste like?  I've never eaten it. I really don't care for offal to begin with.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Quote from: Razgovory on June 29, 2012, 01:58:23 PM
What does Foie Gras taste like?  I've never eaten it. I really don't care for offal to begin with.

To me, like potted meat.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Martinus

It has the consistency/texture of cold butter - very dense and very very smooth. With a very delicate savoury taste to it.

Razgovory

I generally don't care one way or the other about this.  If people want to eat garbage, I don't see any reason to stop them.  I mean, we don't stop Cal.  I am amused by some of the outrage though.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

viper37

it's disgusting.  Uncooked, it has a nice texture, compared to other liver products.  It does look like it's yummy.  But it's not.
It's supposed to be cooked lightly (barely cooked) in sugar and butter, and you should eat it with a sweet white wine.  Disgusting.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Razgovory on June 29, 2012, 02:50:44 PM
I generally don't care one way or the other about this.  If people want to eat garbage, I don't see any reason to stop them.  I mean, we don't stop Cal.  I am amused by some of the outrage though.
it's more a case about theoritical animal suffering than what people eat.  If it's banned because it contains too much calories, then the entire US restaurant industry is in dire trouble.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Razgovory

Quote from: viper37 on June 29, 2012, 02:58:25 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 29, 2012, 02:50:44 PM
it's more a case about theoritical animal suffering than what people eat.  If it's banned because it contains too much calories, then the entire US restaurant industry is in dire trouble.

Yes, we had a similar thread a year ago.  How ever some persons were taking the opposite position.  Of course that law was aimed at religious minorities and animal cruelty was simply used as a cover.  http://languish.org/forums/index.php/topic,5349.0.html  Well one person was at least...

Admiral Yi

dps

Quote from: garbon on June 29, 2012, 11:31:19 AM
Quote from: szmik on June 29, 2012, 11:19:08 AM
not again, please....  :sleep:
if restaurant owner is known to have crap food he goes out of business  :secret:

You can have healthcode violations and still have tasty (albeit dirty) food.  After all we wouldn't need health inspectors if just by eating the food you could tell that everything was in tip top shape in the kitchen. :P

Speaking as someone who has experience in the food service industry, a lot of the things that will cause a restaurant to lose points on health inspections have very little direct impact on the quality or safety of the food.  For example, in the places I worked in food service, regulations require that a restaurant have a cover on its garbage dumpster.  It's actually a fairly serious deduction of points if you don't, but it obviously doesn't directly affect food safety.  And few of the things that do directly affect food safety will get a restaurant shut down immediately--even most serious violations will just result in the establishment being given a certain period of time in which to fix them.

Normally, no matter how filthy and disgusting a place is, the only thing that will get a restaurant shut down immediately is if their freezer or cooler isn't working.

DGuller

Wouldn't lack of garbage cover attract undesirable visitors?

Malthus

Quote from: DGuller on June 29, 2012, 03:56:56 PM
Wouldn't lack of garbage cover attract undesirable visitors?

Hey, Caliga's not undesireable.  :(
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 29, 2012, 03:16:54 PM
It tastes like very delicate liverwurst.

Liverwurst on rye with brown mustard and raw onion is one of my favorites.  :licklips:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)