News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Total War: Rome 2?

Started by Syt, June 26, 2012, 01:26:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadBurgerMaker

This is the village right here:

I fired up the game just now, turned the gfx settings down and everything and it's still doing it. 

Agelastus

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on September 22, 2013, 03:50:09 PM
This is the village right here:

I fired up the game just now, turned the gfx settings down and everything and it's still doing it.

Yep, that's the one; did your battle involve a fleet? I've fought a number of battles in that settlement plan (including one in Genoa) and only twice had difficulties, both times with fleets involved IIRC. Have you noticed that that map has a point that three AI ships normally head towards but that can't be used to land when they get there, for example? Well, Barbarian faction ships do that anyway. That's one reason that I think the map is bugged and that it has something to do with Fleet/Land interaction.

As I said though, with me it kicks in a couple of minutes into the battle, not straight away, so I can fight them through.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

MadBurgerMaker

Yeah, there are two fleets out there (the dots out there in the water).  I haven't been able to get far enough into it to see if it's freaking out because they're trying to land.  It just goes all weird immediately after starting the battle, and is just...well it's just too slow.

Razgovory

I have no idea how to fight naval battles.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Agelastus

Quote from: Razgovory on September 23, 2013, 05:50:19 PM
I have no idea how to fight naval battles.

It's a steeper learning curve than it was for the Eighteenth century type battles of Empire, I agree.

I think -

(1) Anything smaller than a trireme is basically useless.
(2) Ram, don't board.
(3) Never fight if outnumbered by more than 3 or so ships if you want to avoid embarassing losses (such as an Admiral sunk or a bunch of ships ganged up on by lousy transports before you can support them.)
(4) The ramming bonus technologies are a must.
(5) As a corollary to (2) Missile ships are thus much better value than assault ships (other than the Hexeres.)
(6) Trying to send a fast ship or two in to break up their line and draw the enemy towards you fails 4 times out of 5.
(7) Ignore the formations; a simple line is best, tight enough that the enemy can't avoid being engaged by the corresponding ship in your line.

Of course, since drowned soldiers don't seem to count as kills by concentrating on ramming at the moment your ships will probably never gain experience unless you autoresolve every battle instead of fighting them in person. Still, fleets are just about the only things that make the army limits and the lack of walls bearable. A decent fleet substitutes nicely for a garrison army; in some places (such as the Brundisium-Appolonia axis) one fleet can do the work of two armies.

-----------------

Beta 3 patch also appears to have fucked up naval assaults on settlements where the AI has more ships available to enter the map than can beach. The AI does not bring in more ships than can beach; however, it seems to me that as of beta 3 the "off-map" ships are counted as being there against the AI's army strength whereas this was not the case before.

The evidence being two different battles at Ariminum (about 3 turns apart) where the Daorsi attacked with three fleets both times. There's only 43 or so beaching points on the map, two of which are used by the defending fleet.

In the first battle one of the AI ships carrying a regiment of slingers failed to find a place to beach, and just sat there. I couldn't attack it (my army had no missile troops apart from some elephants) and my ally Etruscans, whose settlement it was, just sat guarding the capture point after the troops who had landed had been crushed. Normally if there's just one unit left it'll break automatically due to "army losses"...this one didn't. It sat there. And sat there.

In the second battle the AI brought and managed to beach 41 ships (leaving, as above, some off the field of battle.) All these regiments were crushed. The battle didn't end. I marched my entire army across the map a couple of times to flush hidden units. Nothing happened. The battle simply didn't end.

As I said above, the only explanation for this behaviour that I can think of is that the undeployed units are being treated as "live" against the invading army's rout levels etc. when they weren't before Beta 3.

I've never, ever played with time-limited battles in Total War (or, at least, as far back as the original Rome.) Maybe I should start now... :hmm:

"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

MadBurgerMaker

Hey, here's a link to the encyclopedia so you don't have to try to use it in game:  http://dsi0fanyw80ls.cloudfront.net/en/home

I think I'm going to trash that Rome game and see what Egypt is all about.  Shouldn't run into that particular barbarian village for a really long time, if ever. 

MadBurgerMaker

Egypt is pretty fun so far.  I'm currently down in Ethiopia subjugating the little city states down there. 

These guys really want their shitty little village back, but are totally screwed.  They charged their spearmen straight into the phalanx there and are getting slaughtered (the ones that made it through the massed javelins; theres a nice pile of bodies off to the left).  The other option for them was to get trampled by the elephants that are behind the building and are about to annihilate their archers.

E:  Way later edit:  Forgot to mention it, but last night I found another village that fucks up.  An "eastern" village this time.  I didn't bother taking a screenshot (it was a night battle anyway), but it involved multiple reinforcement fleets again.  It didn't seem as bad though, and I was able to get all the way through the battle this time. All the ships came ashore and unloaded all their dudes, etc. 

Queequeg

Is this or Atilla worth it?
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Phillip V

Quote from: Queequeg on July 19, 2016, 12:29:57 PM

I am tempted try Attila and the Justinian/Belisarius DLC.

Razgovory

I found Attila ultimately annoying.  The Huns burn through Europe, and you have to keep fighting them until Atilla comes of ages and you kill him.  In practice it means nearly everything outside your empire is wasteland and you need to destroy wave after wave of stacks of Huns.

MadBurgerMaker

Never bought Atilla, but I had a pretty good time with Rome 2 after it got all patched up.  I still fire it up now and then and binge for a couple days.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on July 23, 2016, 12:45:23 PM

Never bought Atilla, but I had a pretty good time with Rome 2 after it got all patched up.  I still fire it up now and then and binge for a couple days.

Rome2 with Divide et Impera mod...

Have barely played Atilla so can't commont

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on July 23, 2016, 01:33:24 PM

Haven't tried that one.  Might have to look at it this weekend. 

Talking about it made me want to play this game again.  Picked the Galatians for the GC.  Love these guys.  Lots of crazy people screaming charges and dead enemies.

Alcibiades

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on July 23, 2016, 01:33:24 PM
Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on July 23, 2016, 12:45:23 PM

Have barely played Atilla so can't commont

Do I need to have the expansions to play DEI well or does it work the same with vanilla?
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain