News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The 2012 London Olympics Sports Thread

Started by mongers, June 18, 2012, 02:47:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

According to that article:

here has been a significant amount of discussion about the tax treatment of Olympians. It has been well reported that the Canadian Olympic Committee (COC) awarded prize money to Canadian athletes that won medals in London. It has equally been well reported that this money is taxable.

The tax treatment of Olympic prize money in Canada mirrors that in the U.S., though American athletes may also be subject to tax on the value of their medals due to legal precedent (there is, as of yet, no precedent in Canada for taxing the value of Olympic medals). The U.S. congress, however, is set to consider a tax exemption on these winnings in its Fall term.

[so, yes the medals do have value, but this article does answer my question...Canadians don't pay duty on the medals.]
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on August 14, 2012, 12:03:18 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 14, 2012, 11:16:34 AM
And I wonder if they have to pay taxes of prize money.  Remembering back from my tax law class, the usual rule is you don't pay taxes on windfalls - unexpected sources of income.  Gambling was the usual example.  However if gambling becomes your routine source of income it is no longer a windfall, and does become regular income.  Given many athletes are still amateurs, I wonder if this kind of prize money counts as a windfall for them.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/economy/economy-lab/faster-higher-richer-should-olympic-medal-winners-be-taxed/article4478307/

Thanks - informative article. :thumbsup:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 14, 2012, 10:58:52 AM
Quote from: Brazen on August 14, 2012, 10:56:53 AM
I cannot for the life of me get hold of any bastard Paralympics tickets.

Shouldn't be too difficult to catch up with them.

C'mon, this was comedy gold, Jerry.  Gold!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on August 13, 2012, 08:48:22 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on August 13, 2012, 08:00:54 AM
Quote from: Josephus on August 13, 2012, 07:33:53 AM
NOt sure if anyone caught it but at the very end, after the Who left the stage, someone inadverently hit the play button, and you could hear The Who sing again. I wonder why the whole thing is lip synched?

Because having good sound in an open air 80k places stadium is next to impossible. Especially with multiple performers & stages.

Wouldnt be the first concert ever performed in a stadium.

But in those concerts hours, sometimes days, are spent setting up and sound checking.  Here the stage gets set in minutes and there is no time to sound check.

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 14, 2012, 12:13:52 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 14, 2012, 10:58:52 AM
Quote from: Brazen on August 14, 2012, 10:56:53 AM
I cannot for the life of me get hold of any bastard Paralympics tickets.

Shouldn't be too difficult to catch up with them.

C'mon, this was comedy gold, Jerry.  Gold!

I found it very offensive :weep: :(
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Brazen

Just secured a pair of tickets to the Paralympics cycling a week on Thursday. Having been to a couple of events in Olympic park venues when it was a wasteland and an actual Olympic event on a separate site that I'd been to before, I was dying to get to an event on the park before they close it for two years and re-purpose it. I gather the park itself is quite an event, despite £4.50 beer.

DGuller

I'm curious to see how Alex Zanardi would do in the hand-cycling event.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 16, 2012, 12:04:22 PM
CAN'T BUY TICKETS :bleeding:

Paralympic Games: Thousands more tickets on sale

3 hours ago
Day passes will be available for spectators to experience a variety of sports

Paralympics organisers have put 45,000 more tickets on sale in addition to the 20,000 already available for the opening and closing ceremonies.

Most are for athletics, but they are also for events including cycling, equestrian and wheelchair basketball.

Some 2.2 million Paralympics tickets have been sold so far, with 2.5 million expected to be made available in total.

Rest of item here:
http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19287660
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

dps

Quote from: Josephus on August 14, 2012, 12:04:41 PM
According to that article:

here has been a significant amount of discussion about the tax treatment of Olympians. It has been well reported that the Canadian Olympic Committee (COC) awarded prize money to Canadian athletes that won medals in London. It has equally been well reported that this money is taxable.

The tax treatment of Olympic prize money in Canada mirrors that in the U.S., though American athletes may also be subject to tax on the value of their medals due to legal precedent (there is, as of yet, no precedent in Canada for taxing the value of Olympic medals). The U.S. congress, however, is set to consider a tax exemption on these winnings in its Fall term.

[so, yes the medals do have value, but this article does answer my question...Canadians don't pay duty on the medals.]

I don't have a problem with giving them a tax exemption on the value of the medals (though if any of them ever were to sell off any medals, the proceeds should then be taxable) but I definately don't like the idea of any cash awards being tax-exempt.  It's not been clear from the articles that I've seen if Congress is considering making just the medals themselves tax-exempt, or any winnings.  Frankly I should have looked into that question more, but I just haven't bothered.

Josquius

I've finally watched the closing ceremony.
Who the hell are One Direction and what are they doing there?
██████
██████
██████

katmai

Quote from: Tyr on August 16, 2012, 11:08:28 PM
No idea who they are but my niece loves them.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Brazen

Quote from: Tyr on August 16, 2012, 11:08:28 PM
A made-up group from a talent show you were out of the country for that has become inexplicably successful. Like a Monkees for the twenty-tens. Think yourself lucky.

Shelf, follow @2012TicketAlert on Twitter, click on the first thing you see the second it pops up and buy.

Grey Fox

The Monkees, that's an accurate comparison.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Drakken