News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The 2012 London Olympics Sports Thread

Started by mongers, June 18, 2012, 02:47:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drakken

Quote from: katmai on August 12, 2012, 10:31:20 PM
Watched a lot of the olympics I see Drakken.

We in Canada don't lose time showing the medal ceremonies when the Americans win and no Canadian is on the podium, save when Phelps wins.

garbon

Quote from: katmai on August 12, 2012, 10:31:20 PM
Watched a lot of the olympics I see Drakken.

:yes:

Ed's even rocking her meme.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

While I like Olympic Games in general, I think one reason why I prefer the Winter Games is that they have less events (86 in Vancouver vs. 302 in London), which makes it much easier to follow and "get into" for me, with more focus on each event. The Summer Games have much greater diversity between track & field, gymnastics, swimming, to team sports, rowing, cycling, skeet shot, boxing, or archery, but it's a bit overwhelming.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Richard Hakluyt

Now that it is all over one can say it.............one indisputable good thing about the games.............no terrorist attacks  :cool:

katmai

Not the case if you ask Canadian soccer fans Tricky. :P
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Syt

While German athletes weren't quite as successful as functionaries had hoped (vast understatement), it's a bit of a catastrophe in Austria. While Austria is not really a summer sports superpower, this is the first time in 48 years, since the games of Tokyo 1964, that Austrians go home without a single medal.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

A German economist made a prognosis about the medal count before the games, using economical and socio-economic factors for his prediction. This is how his forecast measures up (forecast left, real life data right):

—Stephen Jay Gould

Drakken

Bielorussia's "sexiest woman" lost her Gold Medal in shotput today, she tested positive.  :nelson:

Valdemar

Now we can start focussing on the paraolympics....

Or not :)

V

Josephus

Quote from: mongers on August 12, 2012, 10:10:32 PM
Just seen the imagery, it was a bit obvious, though I noticed the commentators missed it.

I think a lot of people missed it.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

NOt sure if anyone caught it but at the very end, after the Who left the stage, someone inadverently hit the play button, and you could hear The Who sing again. I wonder why the whole thing is lip synched?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Valdemar

Quote from: Drakken on August 13, 2012, 07:00:08 AM
Bielorussia's "sexiest woman" lost her Gold Medal in shotput today, she tested positive.  :nelson:

Seeing her made me think of the old DDR athletes and a program I saw on how they fared twenty years after their olympic competitions :(

V

Razgovory

Quote from: Syt on August 13, 2012, 05:59:54 AM
A German economist made a prognosis about the medal count before the games, using economical and socio-economic factors for his prediction. This is how his forecast measures up (forecast left, real life data right):

We beat the spread!
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Grey Fox

Quote from: Josephus on August 13, 2012, 07:33:53 AM
NOt sure if anyone caught it but at the very end, after the Who left the stage, someone inadverently hit the play button, and you could hear The Who sing again. I wonder why the whole thing is lip synched?

Because having good sound in an open air 80k places stadium is next to impossible. Especially with multiple performers & stages.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on August 10, 2012, 11:54:33 PM
Did you see the 10m air rifle shooting event toward the beginning of the Olympics?  Dudes were all geared up with these high tech pellet guns with some sort of scopes on them, etc, to shoot 30 fuckin feet.

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 11, 2012, 12:05:02 AM
Scopes should be banned as well!

Those are open-air sights.  If fact, non-electronic open-air sights are required in all international shooting competitions.