News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The 2012 London Olympics Sports Thread

Started by mongers, June 18, 2012, 02:47:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

I think The Monkees were quite talented musicians and performers.

Certainly some of their music has stop the test of time, much better than some of the 60s fluff. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Grey Fox

It might be the same for One direction, who knows. The Pop industry destroys everything.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Eddie Teach

60s bubblegum pop > 90s onward bubblegum pop

Heck, early Beatles stuff was pretty close.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

Quote from: mongers on August 17, 2012, 11:47:16 AM

Certainly some of their music has stop the test of time, much better than some of the 60s fluff.

Didn't one of them not even know how to play an instrument?  They certainly didn't write their own music.

Now some of their songs have stood the test of time (Last Train to Clarksville), but that has much mroe to do with being a well-written song than their skills as performers.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on August 17, 2012, 01:05:36 PM

Didn't one of them not even know how to play an instrument?  They certainly didn't write their own music.

Now some of their songs have stood the test of time (Last Train to Clarksville), but that has much mroe to do with being a well-written song than their skills as performers.

Nesmith wrote & produced a lot of their songs, and from what I remember each of them could play something.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on August 17, 2012, 01:21:40 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 17, 2012, 01:05:36 PM

Nesmith wrote & produced a lot of their songs, and from what I remember each of them could play something.

Looking at the wiki page, it sounds like they learned how to play and gradually became a "real" band over time.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on August 17, 2012, 02:22:01 PM
Looking at the wiki page, it sounds like they learned how to play and gradually became a "real" band over time.

Okay.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Josephus

Didn't Nesmith's mother invent liquid paper?

Wait...you guys old enough to remember liquid paper?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Quote from: derspiess on August 17, 2012, 01:21:40 PM

If you include tambourine.  I never saw Davie Jones play anything else.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

MadImmortalMan

The Monkees apparently decided they miss each other now that Davy died. They're doing a reunion tour with holographic Davy Jones.

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers