News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

More Virgin Queens

Started by Delirium, June 17, 2012, 04:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Solmyr's file completely ignores a lot that came before it, for some reason.

I'll send out a file implementing his move.  Off to Katmai after.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Katmai, Amboise isn't going to give you anything but a couple of regulars and some spaces you don't really need.  It's not a key, so why are you playing your home card to get it?

You need spaces...
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Delirium

I agree with Habs. The Protestants are tricky, but you ought to always follow this simple procedure:

1. Convert several keys to Protestant influence, and spaces that will get you adjacent to more keys.

2. As soon as a key is not converted back does not have a large number of regulars or ships in them, you should start a Rebellion there.

You simply have to get keys, especially from France now that they are this huge. You get vp and cards from keys. Concentrate on keys. :)

Some extra advice: ask/pay someone else to help you convert spaces with events so there will be too many to reconvert. Your home card is incredibly powerful with 7 attempts in both France and the Netherlands, use it for that purpose next turn, rather than rebellions, unless you can bag a key.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

Delirium

Quote from: garbon on July 01, 2012, 10:36:39 PMA bit overly enthusiastic, France secures both the Papacy and Venice as allies.

<_<

Despite these shenanigans, the mighty Ottoman Empire will bide its time and pass, at least for this round...

For some reason my cavalry unit is not in Nicopolis where it is supposed to be, I might have done that mistake myself or it got confused in the file jungle out there...
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

katmai

Quote from: Delirium on July 02, 2012, 01:30:02 AM
I agree with Habs. The Protestants are tricky, but you ought to follow this simple procedure:

1. Convert keys to Protestant influence, or spaces that will get you adjacent to keys. Hope they do not get converted back by France or Spain.

What trying to do with the rebelling.
A good way to set up the above process is to ask someone else to help you convert spaces so there (hopefully) will be too many to reconvert. Your home card is incredibly powerful with 7 attempts in both France and the Netherlands, use it for that purpose next turn.

Well I fully expect szmik to not take the HRE's conversions lying down in England, not to mention what I'll be doing next turn around unless Spain goes hog wild with the conversion attempts in his first go around.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Delirium

Edited the post for a little more clarity. What I am trying to say is that while the total number of Protestant religious spaces is very important especially in the long run, there is a lot to be gained through asking others to help you convert keys so that you can rebel in them more easily and steal keys from France and Spain and get cards and vp yourself. England runs its own race in that regard. Friendly advice, that is all. :pirate

Delirium

Anyway, I pass, szmik is done, so it is back to garbon to pass or play his last card.

garbon

Quote from: Delirium on July 02, 2012, 01:51:35 AM
Edited the post for a little more clarity. What I am trying to say is that while the total number of Protestant religious spaces is very important especially in the long run, there is a lot to be gained through asking others to help you convert keys so that you can rebel in them more easily and steal keys from France and Spain and get cards and vp yourself. England runs its own race in that regard. Friendly advice, that is all. :pirate

Also a cycle of convert then rebel on next impulse can be useful...especially when conversion attempts from Calvinist Zeal.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Solmyr

France is looking mighty powerful and is oppressing the poor Huguenots. Katmai, I wonder if me playing Huguenot Lent would be worth a card draw next turn? I'll even take your suggestions on which spaces to convert.

Delirium

That sounds like a fair deal to the Sultan, who endorses help to the poor Protestant populations.

garbon

Quote from: Delirium on July 02, 2012, 09:42:05 AM
That sounds like a fair deal to the Sultan, who endorses help to the poor Protestant populations.

If they are poor - it is only because they made poor choices. I gave them a turn free from Spanish incursion and they managed to nab 0 keys? :blink:

Habbaku

And convert very, very few spaces...

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Delirium

Both very good reason to aid the Protestants even further, excellent! We seem to be all agreed!

Delirium

New official errata and faq posted on CSW and GMT sites, from June 28, so updated even further from the June 24 ones. Placed link in first post of this thread.

Unless Solmyr (or anyone who has already passed) makes a play that affects me, I will pass out the turn by the way.