Labor Polarization: Is this going to be the continued wave of the future?

Started by CountDeMoney, May 27, 2012, 10:08:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Quote from: Neil on May 29, 2012, 01:52:03 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on May 29, 2012, 01:22:48 PM
Quote from: Neil on May 29, 2012, 12:45:40 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on May 29, 2012, 12:08:55 PM
Quote from: Neil on May 29, 2012, 10:23:22 AM
People like Grey Fox and the Quebec students ruin it for pretty much everybody else.  Because their concerns are so trivial and he's so willing to resort to violence and goonery over such irrelevant matters, they de-legitimize the entire struggle.  Even as things get worse, nobody wants their cause to be associated with a bunch of whiny, idiotic college students.
Written like a true Babyboomer.
Except I'm not.
Yet you've adopted every caractheristic of theirs.
Not at all.  Hating entitled students who feel like they're doing the world a favour by getting a degree in fine arts or philosophy is not exclusive to the baby boomers.

Right, maybe I'll extend my contempt to all 35+ years old.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Neil

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 30, 2012, 05:20:55 PM
Not at all.  Hating entitled students who feel like they're doing the world a favour by getting a degree in fine arts or philosophy is not exclusive to the baby boomers.
You could, but that's hippie asshole talk.  'Don't trust anyone over 30, man.'
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Quote from: Neil on May 30, 2012, 06:54:59 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on May 30, 2012, 05:20:55 PM
You could, but that's hippie asshole talk.  'Don't trust anyone over 30, man.'

I don't trust anyone under 25.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

KRonn

Quote from: Ideologue on May 29, 2012, 10:32:44 PM
They've both sold my generation and all generations after us into slavery, but in fairness the boomers started it and the post-boomers, made weak by the poor parenting they received, simply did their best to fit into the dystopia their predecessors made.

So what did the boomers do that sold you into slavery? If you're talking about govt debt, medicare and Social Security deficits, I can understand. I don't like the trends of leaving so much debt to hit the generations coming behind me. You can support reform of the programs for futuer generations.

I'm not too far off from collecting Soc Sec. I've been contributing about 15% of my salary into it for decades now, between me and my employer portions.  I've put money into my own IRA's and 401K plans else I wouldn't survive in retirement just on Soc Sec. 

Ideologue

Convinced about forty million of us that higher education was the only path to middle class success, had us take out monstrous loans that they profit from, and then destroyed all the jobs and all the prospects for jobs that could possibly service that debt, let alone provide us middle-class security, and in many cases even the marginal security necessary for true adulthoods.

I'm also not too fond of Social Security, but as it is a wealth redistribution scheme, I'm afraid my hands are tied.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Jacob

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 30, 2012, 05:20:55 PMRight, maybe I'll extend my contempt to all 35+ years old.

So you're just going to push that limit back every five years? In 2017 you won't trust anyone over 40?

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

Quote from: Jacob on May 30, 2012, 11:25:18 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on May 30, 2012, 05:20:55 PMRight, maybe I'll extend my contempt to all 35+ years old.

So you're just going to push that limit back every five years? In 2017 you won't trust anyone over 40?

I don't trust anyone over the 49th parallel. :angry:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Neil

Quote from: Ideologue on May 30, 2012, 11:07:28 PM
Convinced about forty million of us that higher education was the only path to middle class success, had us take out monstrous loans that they profit from, and then destroyed all the jobs and all the prospects for jobs that could possibly service that debt, let alone provide us middle-class security, and in many cases even the marginal security necessary for true adulthoods.

I'm also not too fond of Social Security, but as it is a wealth redistribution scheme, I'm afraid my hands are tied.
You got a law degree.  That's extra evil, like being part of the SS or the Air Force.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Martinus

Meh, the worst generation are the people born in the second half of the 1980s/first half of 1990s. All the previous generations believed in hard work and earning money to get things you want - these new generations think that having stuff (especially access to high tech/gadgets/information) is their god-given right and refuse to work to get it but think they should be given it for free by the more industrious generations.

Barrister

Quote from: Ideologue on May 30, 2012, 11:34:38 PM

Curious.

I don't trust anyone beneath the 60th parallel.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on May 31, 2012, 12:53:09 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on May 30, 2012, 11:34:38 PM

So, what you only trust Russians?

Curious.

I don't trust anyone beneath the 60th parallel.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

KRonn

I don't know if you can blame college education costs just on the boomers. Lots of cost issues with the bloated, costly pig that's become and no change there. Govt just gives more loans, and that gives no incentive to colleges to restrain costs.

As for Soc Sec, just try changing it; I've been for reform for a long time. But try making even some reform and not just seniors, but especially the opposite political party of the one proposing reform will come out of the woodwork crying bloody hell. We've all allowed it to become such a sacred cow. It works ok, and you'll get your due out of it when the time comes, but each of us puts a lot of money into it, about 15% between our portion and our employer's. 

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

garbon

:cry:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.