News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

How much does weight factor in?

Started by merithyn, May 25, 2012, 07:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Of the top five things you look for in a partner - 1 most important, 5 least important of the top 5 - where is the person's weight on the scale?

Not something I pay much attention to

Lettow77

QuoteYou know Sheilbh is gay, right?
This place has always been thick with The Gays. I don't keep a running track- unless you stand out by being a pedophile, polish or black, it's hard to be be bothered to remember who's part of languish's gay cabal.

I don't really guess that invalidates my questions, though. sexual desire is sexual desire, isn't it? Substitute "she" for "he." I suppose the notion that sexuality is a woman's only redeeming feature is cast away, as it would be hard for a man who lusts after other men to feel men's only worth was the opportunities they provided for sexual gratification. (I think?)

(Does this mean that women may have no value whatsoever to Shielbh? I've heard the sentiment from some homosexuals before.)

I was really seeking to understand how sexuality can be such a consuming aspect of a relationship's importance- the genders don't come into it, I guess, especially not if the party I am addressing is a man and thus I have some baseline by which I can presume to relate. Feel free to answer this yourself if you would.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Martinus

Martinus

Lettow, to answer your question, I think with men, it is possible to keep physical attraction going on despite age - of course there are gay guys who are into young guys only but in general a man who is, say, 55, can keep fit and be attractive much easier than a woman of 55 since we perceive different aspects of male and female beauty. There are many male movie stars and celebrities who are for example athletic and look good despite their age - but for women, even the slim ones, we look at stuff like aging of their skin (compare muscular Brad Pitt with freaky Madonna).

Sheilbh

Quote from: Lettow77 on May 26, 2012, 03:37:17 AM
Is sexual attraction really so utterly vital? It can't be dispensed with, if she was intensely appealing otherwise?
Or is that a woman's chief value?
First of all what the Brain said.

Secondly, yeah, I think it is that vital.  I think you need sexual attraction to someone to make it worth having a go - in all sorts of ways.  Obviously what we find sexually attractive varies but for me weight is a part of it.  I think as long as what I'm looking for is a sexual relationship then that's always going to be my view.  Like Marty I've been with a guy who was more overweight than I normally go for, but he was really charismatic.  So I'm not some sort of bastard who gets the callipers out on the first date (that's a third date kind of thing), but sex matters and for me weight matters in that.

QuoteHow do you reconcile this essential nature with aging and what it does to female attractiveness? Do you count on your desire to fade, or will you always seek younger women?
I don't know.  I don't find age as unattractive.  I hope to be a silver fox and with one :P
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Martinus on May 26, 2012, 03:51:39 AM
Lettow, to answer your question, I think with men, it is possible to keep physical attraction going on despite age - of course there are gay guys who are into young guys only but in general a man who is, say, 55, can keep fit and be attractive much easier than a woman of 55 since we perceive different aspects of male and female beauty. There are many male movie stars and celebrities who are for example athletic and look good despite their age - but for women, even the slim ones, we look at stuff like aging of their skin (compare muscular Brad Pitt with freaky Madonna).
I disagree.  I think this is a social thing that's changing.  Just look at Helen Mirren :mmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

Lettow77

If you think its a social thing, it certainly isn't changing in Japan any time soon.

Would it be impossible for you to enjoy someone else's company so much that sexual contact between the two of you was exclusively for their sake? Suppose you didn't enjoy it, but they did. Would their happiness not suffice, if you cared about them enough?

Sexuality in a relationship is another aspect of closeness, isn't it? If there was someone you felt the overriding desire to be close to, surely even sexual revulsion could be suppressed in the name of furthering your bond with that person.

Couldn't you lie back and think of san francisco?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Lettow77 on May 26, 2012, 04:07:15 AMWould it be impossible for you to enjoy someone else's company so much that sexual contact between the two of you was exclusively for their sake? Suppose you didn't enjoy it, but they did. Would their happiness not suffice, if you cared about them enough?
I don't think so I mean this is the sort of thing that leads to divorce.  I don't think aspects of a relationship should be exclusively for their sake or for yours.  So, in my view and I may be wrong, mutual attraction matters.

QuoteSexuality in a relationship is another aspect of closeness, isn't it? If there was someone you felt the overriding desire to be close to, surely even sexual revulsion could be suppressed in the name of furthering your bond with that person.
No.  Sexuality is sex.  Just because I sleep with someone doesn't mean I want to know about the time they lost their childhood puppy or whatever - and vice versa.  Emotional closeness and being simpatico with one another are essential, without them you've a one night stand.  But, in my view, so's sex.  Without that you've a friendship.

Also I think the gays may be stricter on weight because there's no upside to bigger guys.  Bigger girls often have bigger boobs or better arses.  Bigger men often have bigger boobs too...
Let's bomb Russia!

Lettow77

Friendship doesn't really cover it though, and friendship isn't really enough.

I appreciate your answers, but we don't understand each other.

11B4V

Quote from: Lettow77 on May 26, 2012, 03:46:54 AM
This place has always been thick with The Gays.

:huh: What does that matter?

Quotelanguish's gay cabal

:huh:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Lettow77

It doesn't matter at all. Did I not make that clear enough? I mean, it's no business to me how gay shielbh is or isn't. I hadn't bothered to take note of it before. I knew that there were plenty on languish, but unless they make it their personality (see: martinus) someone's homosexuality isn't really of enough note for me to keep it as a fixed idea about their character. I'm more likely to remember where they are from, for example.

Isn't indifferent and unconsidering acceptance the sort of equality homosexuals seek?

As for the gay cabal- perhaps you remember the gay mafia? It was a languish thing, long ago. A signature picture and everything.

11B4V

Quote from: Lettow77 on May 26, 2012, 04:23:26 AM
It doesn't matter at all. Did I not make that clear enough? I mean, it's no business to me how gay shielbh is or isn't. I hadn't bothered to take note of it before. I knew that there were plenty on languish, but unless they make it their personality (see: martinus) someone's homosexuality isn't really of enough note for me to keep it as a fixed idea about their character. I'm more likely to remember where they are from, for example.

Isn't indifferent and unconsidering acceptance the sort of equality homosexuals seek?

As for the gay cabal- perhaps you remember the gay mafia? It was a languish thing, long ago. A signature picture and everything.

Cabal is kind of a gay substitute for Mafia dont you think?
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 26, 2012, 04:13:19 AM
Also I think the gays may be stricter on weight because there's no upside to bigger guys. 

Bigger guys have bigger muscles, assuming similar levels of activity.

I thought it was gay mafia and lawyer's cabal.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

11B4V

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 26, 2012, 04:28:40 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on May 26, 2012, 04:13:19 AM
Also I think the gays may be stricter on weight because there's no upside to bigger guys. 

Bigger guys have bigger muscles, assuming similar levels of activity.

I thought it was gay mafia and lawyer's cabal.  :hmm:

That would make more sense.

Martinus

Well, there are definitely chubby-chasers out there (a friend of a friend is 120 kilos and in his 40s, and there are young twinks apparently lining up to be fucked by him) and bears have their own thing but neither Sheilbh nor myself are into that - I don't know about you heteros but among gays, this is more like a fetish - like being into peed on or fisted or something - there are many people who like it but if you are not into it, you are not into it.

Lettow77

Mafia is such an unpleasant word, though. It calls Sicilians to mind.