News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

How much does weight factor in?

Started by merithyn, May 25, 2012, 07:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Of the top five things you look for in a partner - 1 most important, 5 least important of the top 5 - where is the person's weight on the scale?

Not something I pay much attention to

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martinus on May 26, 2012, 02:07:22 AM
I just found this post.  :lol: :lol: :lol:

I suppose my theory can be non-gender specific.  YMMV.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 26, 2012, 02:06:48 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on May 26, 2012, 02:04:38 AM
I suspect the rest of you will find out how bad meat is for you before I face the Beta Cell Reaper.

Nah, already did that.  Rarely eat red meat anymore.

Don't worry, you'll figure it all out when you turn 40, and everything starts falling out of warranty.
Fuck, I wish my body made it to 40 before the wheels started coming off.  Having parts of your body shattered in accidents, wear and tear, and genetics fucked me a long time ago.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on May 26, 2012, 02:09:31 AM
Fuck, I wish my body made it to 40 before the wheels started coming off.  Having parts of your body shattered in accidents, wear and tear, and genetics fucked me a long time ago.

Well, you're an isolated case, BA.  But at least you've compensated by having higher brain functions than a lot of the other fuckwits around here. :hug:

Ideologue

Quote from: Martinus on May 26, 2012, 02:05:40 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on May 26, 2012, 02:03:01 AM
Quote from: Martinus on May 26, 2012, 01:59:02 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on May 26, 2012, 01:56:05 AM
Anyway, that size 4 is turning me on.

Why do people get fat, anyway?  I've never really understood it and wish someone would explain.  Seriously, it's an honest question.

("Post-pregnancy" doesn't count.  That's an understandable reason, but it's also a subset.)

How old are you?

29.  I'll be 30 in never September.

Fair enough - so you are past the first metabolism trap of 25. I guess you just eat and exercise right. My problem is that I don't have time for the exercise (at least I managed to get into eating more or less right) - I was a bit freer in March/April so I had like 8 lessons with a personal trainer and abs started to show up but then I got over swamped with work and haven't had time to go more. So I mostly bike and try to do abs at home these days, only. :(

Fwiw, I don't have a lot of time either, these days, so I keep it flexible and just do home exercises, principally/only sit ups, push ups and some free weight stuff.  I can do that when I have a minute before bed.

I should run but I don't.  Since I smoke, it's awful; but that's the biggest reason I should.  I feel like I could probably punch through it after a week or two, like I did when I played soccer, but that was a long, long time ago.  And running is a big time sink.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

I suspect the rest of you will find out how bad meat is for you before I face the Beta Cell Reaper.

Don't worry, you'll figure it all out when you turn 40, and everything starts falling out of warranty.

We'll see.

Besides, I never said I was healthy, I said I looked alright with my shirt off.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 26, 2012, 02:20:06 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on May 26, 2012, 01:56:05 AM
Why do people get fat, anyway?

Because food tastes good.

Inadequate response.

I suppose I might frame the question in four parts:

1)Do other people not look at themselves in the mirror and see the process as it goes on?
2)If they do recognize that they're gaining weight, why do they not take steps to prevent it.
3)Does the pleasures offered by food outweigh the importance of self-respect and the desire to be more attractive?
4)Does the uncertainty of the sexual enterprise compared to the reliability of our food supply factor into the answers to any of the questions asked above?
Kinemalogue

Sheilbh

I voted 1.  It's not the most important, but it is a big part of sexual attraction which I think is kind-of essential,
Let's bomb Russia!

DGuller

I also think that weight is a proxy variable for other things.  Somebody who is overweight is probably someone who is not looking after themselves.  That's a red flag for depression.

11B4V

Since 35 Ive slowly change what I eat expecting the big FOUR-Oh metabalism slow down. I retired at 38 and weighed 205. But PT was the counter balance while in the Army.

Since that time, I'm 46 now and weigh 215-220; I still eat red meat probably two-three times a week, but mostly what I eat is fresh shit. The local QFC has an awesome deli. I hardly eat fast food, microwaved carton bullshit, Tater chips (and the like). No soda, no smoke, dont drink anymore. I try to excerse when I'm not plastered with OT (BTW thanks taxpayers for that).  The excerse now, of course, is no where near what I was doing in the Army. With the seven year old getting more responsible that opens up a good hour and a half from when I get home to taking her to school. I work Grave Shift. The cardio will pick up. So, I think changing the diet, when I did, "may" have nullified a good portion of the metabo slow down.

BTW best weight loss program ever was Ranger School. Started at 210 and finnished at 173 after 76 days.  I was cut like a motherfucker but couldnt lift a fucking pillow.  :lol:

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Lettow77

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 26, 2012, 02:46:48 AM
I voted 1.  It's not the most important, but it is a big part of sexual attraction which I think is kind-of essential,

Is sexual attraction really so utterly vital? It can't be dispensed with, if she was intensely appealing otherwise?
Or is that a woman's chief value?

How do you reconcile this essential nature with aging and what it does to female attractiveness? Do you count on your desire to fade, or will you always seek younger women?

I don't mean to attack you, I promise. I'm genuinely curious, because I don't understand very well.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Martinus

Quote from: DGuller on May 26, 2012, 02:57:03 AM
I also think that weight is a proxy variable for other things.  Somebody who is overweight is probably someone who is not looking after themselves.  That's a red flag for depression.

I dont go that far. I once met a cheerful intelligent chubby guy who had a lot of common interests with me and apparently was really into me. But one look at him naked and though I hated myself for being so shallow I had to break up. I know there are people out there who are wired differently, but for me looks/attraction are very important.

Now, I am not saying they need to be super hot and fit - I once dated a handsome guy who had a bit of love-handles and all, but I found him attractive so that was fine. However if I'm not attracted - and as Sheilbh said, weight plays a big role - I can't do it.

Martinus

Quote from: Lettow77 on May 26, 2012, 03:37:17 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on May 26, 2012, 02:46:48 AM

Is sexual attraction really so utterly vital? It can't be dispensed with, if she was intensely appealing otherwise?
Or is that a woman's chief value?

How do you reconcile this essential nature with aging and what it does to female attractiveness? Do you count on your desire to fade, or will you always seek younger women?

I don't mean to attack you, I promise. I'm genuinely curious, because I don't understand very well.

You know Sheilbh is gay, right?

The Brain

:rolleyes: Yeah right. And owns a castle.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

I just realized one reason why it is easier to be straight - if you are a guy, you can (at least in theory) be a fat slob and still insist on dating a hot slim chick because you have such different expectations of a relationship than a woman has.

With two guys, you need to be at least in the attractiveness range of a type of guy you are into, as you both are looking for, roughly, the same thing.

Or you need to have loads of cash. :shifty: