News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Obama Says Same-Sex Marriage Should Be Legal

Started by garbon, May 09, 2012, 03:20:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on May 10, 2012, 10:51:04 AM
I'm not trying to convince you of that, I can assure you.

Heh just giving you a hard time Spicey.

I have full confidence that this move was done after very carefully coming to the conclusion it would help his chances in November.  You may be right and he has miscalculated but I doubt it, the Democrats know pandering.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Faeelin

Quote from: Valmy on May 10, 2012, 11:01:27 AM
have full confidence that this move was done after very carefully coming to the conclusion it would help his chances in November.  You may be right and he has miscalculated but I doubt it, the Democrats know pandering.

How's that mandate working out?

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on May 10, 2012, 11:01:27 AM
Quote from: derspiess on May 10, 2012, 10:51:04 AM
I'm not trying to convince you of that, I can assure you.

Heh just giving you a hard time Spicey.

:hug:

QuoteI have full confidence that this move was done after very carefully coming to the conclusion it would help his chances in November.  You may be right and he has miscalculated but I doubt it, the Democrats know pandering.

The whole thing might have been orchestrated, but I doubt it.  I think Obama's hand was forced and he made his evolutionary conclusion known before he had intended to do so.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Martinus on May 10, 2012, 01:40:17 AM
I wonder when gay marriage will stop being a political issue, rehashed during every elections? Will Republicans drop it as a point once it gets passed nationally, or do you think they will make attempts for a while to reverse it?

Considering how hard they've been fighting to get Roe v. Wade overturned, I think it's safe to say we're in for a long, drawn-out fight, even long after it gets passed nationally.
Experience bij!

Martinus

Quote from: DontSayBanana on May 10, 2012, 11:32:19 AM
Quote from: Martinus on May 10, 2012, 01:40:17 AM
I wonder when gay marriage will stop being a political issue, rehashed during every elections? Will Republicans drop it as a point once it gets passed nationally, or do you think they will make attempts for a while to reverse it?

Considering how hard they've been fighting to get Roe v. Wade overturned, I think it's safe to say we're in for a long, drawn-out fight, even long after it gets passed nationally.

I don't think these are comparable. Abortion is a completely different issue, morally, to gay marriage - the latter being more comparable to stuff like segregation. I can see abortion being a moral issue in 20 or 50 years - on the other hand, if gay marriage is passed today, in 10 years from now people will just shrug and wonder why it has ever been an issue.

Plus there is the whole constitutional nightmare of reversing gay marriage when people actually will get married and acquire existing rights and obligations.

alfred russel

While Obama works to be on teh right side of history, the Washington Post has an in depth look at the boarding school days of Romney which apparently included some rather severe bullying of a gay student:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/mitt-romneys-prep-school-classmates-recall-pranks-but-also-troubling-incidents/2012/05/10/gIQA3WOKFU_story.html
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on May 10, 2012, 12:32:30 PM
Obama ate a dog.

After years of systematic torture, Mitt's dog wished he was.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 10, 2012, 12:39:30 PM
Obama ate a dog.

I wonder if Mitt cut his dog's hair against its will.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on May 10, 2012, 12:44:13 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 10, 2012, 12:39:30 PM
Obama ate a dog.

I wonder if Mitt cut his dog's hair against its will.

Hosed him down like Shawshank.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Martinus on May 10, 2012, 11:35:57 AM

I don't think these are comparable. Abortion is a completely different issue, morally, to gay marriage - the latter being more comparable to stuff like segregation. I can see abortion being a moral issue in 20 or 50 years - on the other hand, if gay marriage is passed today, in 10 years from now people will just shrug and wonder why it has ever been an issue.

Plus there is the whole constitutional nightmare of reversing gay marriage when people actually will get married and acquire existing rights and obligations.

I think this is right. It won't matter in a decade or so.

I do wonder about those people who did get married and then it was re-outlawed. In California, I know the marriages are still valid. One of my employees in SF is legally still married under these terms.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 10, 2012, 10:57:38 AM
Quote from: Faeelin on May 10, 2012, 10:37:56 AM
My point is your depiction of what happened in NY has little relation to  what actually happened. You had some rich NYC republicans throwing money to persuade four republicans to change their votes, along with 28 democrats.

That's... not a bipartisan consensus.
My depiction of what happened in New York was that gay activists and, even wealthy class traitor gays, worked hard to make this  very political issue not a massive partisan one - so did Cuomo.  The votes at the end of that are irrelevant it was about making gay marriage the issue which Democrats came to and some Republicans did too.  The worry I have with this is that gay marriage becomes a 'Democrat issue' like climate change, for example, which I think would be counter-productive.

So it's not a bipartisan consensus - I think consensus is dead.  But it's better than this issue becoming a campaign prop for one party.

It has long been a Dem vs. Repub issue. To suggest otherwise is to feign ignorance. Only change I see is that whereas in the last 20 years Repubs whipped up a frenzy over the issue and Dems were lukewarm, now Dens support and Repubs often dodge the issue.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on May 10, 2012, 01:24:59 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on May 10, 2012, 10:57:38 AM
Quote from: Faeelin on May 10, 2012, 10:37:56 AM
My point is your depiction of what happened in NY has little relation to  what actually happened. You had some rich NYC republicans throwing money to persuade four republicans to change their votes, along with 28 democrats.

That's... not a bipartisan consensus.
My depiction of what happened in New York was that gay activists and, even wealthy class traitor gays, worked hard to make this  very political issue not a massive partisan one - so did Cuomo.  The votes at the end of that are irrelevant it was about making gay marriage the issue which Democrats came to and some Republicans did too.  The worry I have with this is that gay marriage becomes a 'Democrat issue' like climate change, for example, which I think would be counter-productive.

So it's not a bipartisan consensus - I think consensus is dead.  But it's better than this issue becoming a campaign prop for one party.

It has long been a Dem vs. Repub issue. To suggest otherwise is to feign ignorance. Only change I see is that whereas in the last 20 years Repubs whipped up a frenzy over the issue and Dems were lukewarm, now Dens support and Repubs often dodge the issue.
:yes: I really don't know what Sheilbh is talking about.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.