News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Obama Says Same-Sex Marriage Should Be Legal

Started by garbon, May 09, 2012, 03:20:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: DontSayBanana on May 09, 2012, 10:11:34 PM
And the sound bite being given by Mitt is not only anti-gay marriage, but also anti-civil union, which is absolutely fucking mind-boggling.  This is 2012, not 1812.

What else can he do if he wants his party to show up in November?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Lettow77

I'm a Southerner who supports gay marriage. How embarrassing.  :(
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Lettow77 on May 09, 2012, 10:13:45 PM

It's called a redeeming quality.  Roll with it, buddy. :hug:
Experience bij!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Lettow77 on May 09, 2012, 10:13:45 PM

You let your roomie bareback you yet, Geishaboi?

Sheilbh

And the sound bite being given by Mitt is not only anti-gay marriage, but also anti-civil union, which is absolutely fucking mind-boggling.  This is 2012, not 1812.
In terms of Mitt and the gays it's the treatment of his spokesman that I find most disappointing.
Let's bomb Russia!

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 09, 2012, 10:37:11 PM
In terms of Mitt and the gays it's the treatment of his spokesman that I find most disappointing.

He sure practices what he preaches, doesn't he?

Hell yes, that pun was intended.
Experience bij!

Neil

Quote from: garbon on May 09, 2012, 10:06:21 PM
Quote from: Barrister on May 09, 2012, 10:01:16 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on May 09, 2012, 09:56:27 PM
Havent read the article and dont care to.

It's only a matter of time, much to the chagrin of the right wing religious fundy's. The Gay's will win the fight.

Yeah - I personally felt that civil unions were the way to go, but whatever.  War's over, man.  Wormer dropped the big one.
Separate but equal is lovely.
Not equal.  Gays are less.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Habsburg

Quote from: Caliga on May 09, 2012, 06:37:20 PM
Obama did the right thing here.  He should have done it earlier, but kudos to him for finally being honest about how he feels about this issue.  If he integrates this into his re-election platform, I may feel compelled to vote for him. :)

:cheers: :yeah:

CountDeMoney

I don't see why:  he jettisons policy platforms pretty damned easily, why should people be any different?

Habsburg

It's only a matter of time, much to the chagrin of the right wing religious fundy's. The Gay's will win the fight.

Yeah - I personally felt that civil unions were the way to go, but whatever.  War's over, man.  Wormer dropped the big one.

I've always thought this as well, upper moral hand (get religion out of the picture) easier for more to swallow, inclusive of hetro's.
I don't have religious hang-ups, so I don't care if it's called a "marriage" just want equal rights under the law for a relationship.

I also don't find this solution not equal, but understand those who do.  I just never have?

That said I'm delighted Obama made  his comments, very big and ballsy.

Sheilbh

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 09, 2012, 11:12:55 PM

I don't see why:  he jettisons policy platforms pretty damned easily, why should people be any different?
:lol:   

The thing I found really angered me was that the guy's a foreign policy spokesman he organised a conference call of Romney spokesmen and the media on a foreign policy speech.  It seemed odd to journos that he then didn't speak.  Apparently he'd been instructed by higher-ups in the Romney campaign that he shouldn't speak.  The campaign didn't want to fire him, apparently they said they valued his input they just didn't want him speaking to anyone, or for a spokesman, doing his job.  I thought that story was just unbelievable.

I think that sort of cowardice from a campaign is disgusting and, to be honest, I don't see how any gay people could support the Republicans this time round, especially given that Romney's a 'moderate'.
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

I really didn't see the difference.  I think individual churches can refuse to marry same sex couples if they want to.  That's their choice and it should be protected.  To be honest I don't really care that much about it.  It's one of those issues that doesn't really affect the machinery of government.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

Quote from: Razgovory on May 09, 2012, 11:25:54 PM
I really didn't see the difference.  I think individual churches can refuse to marry same sex couples if they want to.  That's their choice and it should be protected.  To be honest I don't really care that much about it.  It's one of those issues that doesn't really affect the machinery of government.
We're moving to marriage.  The problem with civil unions is that Churches are banned from performing gay marriages, so even the liberal ones can't do it.

Plus you start getting angry atheist straight couples agitating for straight civil unions.  Better to just have marriage.
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Okay.  Like I said, I really don't care much.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 09, 2012, 11:23:53 PM
I think that sort of cowardice from a campaign is disgusting and, to be honest, I don't see how any gay people could support the Republicans this time round, especially given that Romney's a 'moderate'.

What I think most hilarious about this little crisis of Mitt's campaign was that the very same right-wing goof that yelled the loudest about Grenell, Bryan Fischer, also gave him shit for caving in to the pressure afterwards.  :lol:

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/category/people/bryan-fischer