Started by garbon, May 09, 2012, 03:20:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: Lettow77 on May 09, 2012, 10:13:45 PM
I'm a Southerner who supports gay marriage. How embarrassing.  :(

Recreational fabulousness will do that.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Lettow77

I'll not be so foolish as to let my own feelings on the matter keep me from doing the wrong thing. Like Southerners of old, I shall rally around the flag and support my region as it holds to practices and beliefs discredited elsewhere and act without regard for my own self-interest because i've been duped by a populist nationalism. "My country, right or wrong!" is an important mantra when your country insists on being wrong more often than not.

It's so delicious!

Edit: On that note, I think Alabama's state motto Audemus jura nostre defendere is old and busted. Working replacement is Audemus jura privare. What do you think, languish?
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Martinus

I wonder when gay marriage will stop being a political issue, rehashed during every elections? Will Republicans drop it as a point once it gets passed nationally, or do you think they will make attempts for a while to reverse it?

11B4V

Quote from: Martinus on May 10, 2012, 01:40:17 AM
I wonder when gay marriage will stop being a political issue, rehashed during every elections? Will Republicans drop it as a point once it gets passed nationally, or do you think they will make attempts for a while to reverse it?

Reverse it.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

fhdz

Quote from: Razgovory on May 09, 2012, 11:25:54 PM
It's one of those issues that doesn't really affect the machinery of government.

O_O

*suddenly remembers Raz never would have filed taxes as a married person*
and the horse you rode in on

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: 11B4V on May 10, 2012, 01:41:23 AM

Reverse it.

Maybe. Speaking from experience (gar marriage as well as adoption are allowed in Belgium) I can say that the issue drops of the radar faster than a rock from a mountain once it's in place. So gays can marriage, who cares. It's amazing how fast the new becomes the normal.

DGuller

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on May 10, 2012, 02:21:17 AM

Reverse it.

Maybe. Speaking from experience (gar marriage as well as adoption are allowed in Belgium) I can say that the issue drops of the radar faster than a rock from a mountain once it's in place. So gays can marriage, who cares. It's amazing how fast the new becomes the normal.
You have to remember that Republicans take up issues that would normally be dropped off the radar in 1912.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: DGuller on May 10, 2012, 05:48:11 AM

Reverse it.

You have to remember that Republicans take up issues that would normally be dropped off the radar in 1912.
there's that of course

Malthus

Reverse it.

That's certainly been the case in Canada.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

CountDeMoney

Reverse it.

Tell that to California.

derspiess

What's going to get passed nationally?

Maybe. Speaking from experience (gar marriage as well as adoption are allowed in Belgium) I can say that the issue drops of the radar faster than a rock from a mountain once it's in place.

I can tolerate gar civil unions, but I do not want to see gars marrying any time in my lifetime.  Goddamned sturgeon wanna-bes :angry:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on May 10, 2012, 09:38:56 AM

Federal recognition of gay marriages by States that perform them.  That would really be all it would take wouldn't it?  Then every gay marriage may or may not require a road trip at some point.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: derspiess on May 10, 2012, 09:38:56 AM

Spousal benefits for federal employees.

Ed Anger

Ed Anger's Predictortron(tm) sez:

If re-elected, Obama won't do shit for gays.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive