News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Virgin Queen PBEM Recruitment

Started by Habbaku, May 09, 2012, 12:14:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

As for not bothering, I don't know if I'd go that far.  Controlling Edinburgh does give a +1 modifier and, on top of that, it does ensure that the French are down a key and the English up one, which may affect the card draws if SLR doesn't come up.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Solmyr

I have another rules question about ransoming leaders (and lifting excommunication, in HIS). The way these are worded, the power can decide itself whether it wants its leader returned (or its excommunication lifted), with the other power (or Papacy) not having a choice, and simply drawing a card. Is that correct, or can a captured leader be refused ransom/the Pope maintain excommunication?

Habbaku

That is correct.  The ransoming/excommunicated power can give the card draw to end the imprisonment/excommunication and the receiving power cannot stop it.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Maladict

Quote from: Habbaku on June 08, 2012, 02:05:47 AM
That is correct.  The ransoming/excommunicated power can give the card draw to end the imprisonment/excommunication and the receiving power cannot stop it.

Not true in Virgin Queen, captured leaders can be kept indefinitely.

Solmyr

This is the rule from both:

QuoteHowever, there is never any requirement to ransom an army leader; a power may choose to let him remain a captive indefinitely.

It refers to the power which owns the leader, meaning they can choose not to pay ransom and let him stay captive.

Tamas

Ottoman Empire is ready to declare

Berkut

Spain needs a little more time. Our allies are suddenly seeming somewhat...prickly.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

0 rows returned

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Drakken

ulmont

Tamas

Ottomans offer peace to HRE. Drakken, the second announcement obviously changes the status quo making our preliminary talks obsolete:

Ottomans also announce the Treaty of Skopje with Spain.
It is a gargantuan document with varying font sizes, but the biggest text tells of the following deal:
Ottoman Empire offers a card draw to Spain IF they agree to give back control of Buda, Szegedin, Nicopolis, Sofia, Istanbul

Ottomans also offer a card draw to France.

Habbaku

Quote from: Maladict on June 08, 2012, 04:09:06 AM
Quote from: Habbaku on June 08, 2012, 02:05:47 AM

Link?

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Maladict

Quote from: Habbaku on June 08, 2012, 11:12:22 AM

Link?
[/quote]

I think I misunderstood the rule Solmyr posted, meaning there would be no obligation for the power that captured the leader to accept the ransom.
If, as Solmyr says, the rule applies to the ransoming power (don't have the rules around atm), then you were correct.

Berkut

Hapsburgs accept the peace treaty with the Ottomans, and only wish so many lives would not have to have been lost to show the Sultan the folly of his aggression.

1r from Buda returns to Milan.
1r from Istanbul goes to Milan.

The Spanish ambassador is happy to note that this neatly fulfills the term of his agreement with the HRE as well - Buda is not defended by Spanish troops, and even earlier than the agreed upon time! It even saves the HRE a card to DOW Spain, so a double "your welcome" to our HRE ally.

Spain offers France a merc in return for alliance.

0 rows returned