News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Virgin Queen PBEM Recruitment

Started by Habbaku, May 09, 2012, 12:14:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

edit: never mind, of course I have SD. The 4 regulars from Istanbul to Buda, obviously.

I am going to choose my HC as well, so a file is coming

ulmont

Hawkins to London, no other SD.

Berkut

In regards to the debate on CSW (if anyone is following it), I have to say I am very dissapointed in Ed Beach if, as it appears to be the case, the only reason this rule was changed was the bleating of people about the supposed "abuse" of the SFP/diplomacy rules in HiS.

Mainly because all the whining about it, even back when this was brought up in the HiS folder as some kind of major flaw, never actually resulted in anyone able to show that this was actually a problem in actual games.

There are literally hundreds of games recorded on ACTS. And I bet if you go through the games with good players, the sharks, you will find that this simply is not an issue. What it is is a few people who don't understand the game making a lot of noise about not much at all.

And the (apparent) net result is a major adjustment to the way the game works that does not appear to have any purpose other than closing this imagined loophole...at the cost of taking away one of the major tools of diplomacy in the game.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Tamas

So the whiners wanted this to be a pure wargame or WTH?

Tamas

Also:

give me a D!

give me a RAKKEN!

DRAKKEN!

Berkut

Quote from: Tamas on June 09, 2012, 11:32:59 AM
So the whiners wanted this to be a pure wargame or WTH?

I don't think that is it - I think there were probably a few games where new and inexperienced layers did some goofy stuff, and rather than trying to understand how the existing system can be used to discourage such activity, they all started whining and bleating about how broken the game was and nobody should be allowed to transfer ownership of ANY spaces, because in their game, people transferred ownership of spaces in what they think was a "non-historical" manner.

It seems lost on them that throwing the baby right out with the bath water is not a great solution.

Now we are going to end up stuck with some goofy ass rules designed to stop things that don't really happen in actual games between competent players, at the cost of restricting players ability to do things that everyone agrees is perfectly normal.

0 rows returned

Drakken

Home Card picked for HRE. Schwendi, Zrinyi, 4r4m from Vienna to Szigetvar.

SD done for HRE. File to be sent.

Habbaku

France SDs 2 mercenaries and 1 regular to Metz.

That just leaves Garbon to SD.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Habbaku

Off to Tamas to make the first play of the turn, then.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

Playing my HC Grand Vizier to place 4 regulars to Belgrade.

File is on it's way, Berkut is up.

Berkut

SPain uses the Cipher Key card to place a Cipher Key in France's espionage box.

0 rows returned

Habbaku

France is uncertain how France feels about being spied upon.

Ulmont's up.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

garbon

Just wanted to point out that I loved this.

QuoteI have to wonder what the Ottoman player was doing to allow Buda, Istanbul, and Salonika to be captured by Spain. Even allowing for a terrific hand of cards, this would require an awful lot of CP over several impulses--putting this case at the extreme fringes of what you'd see in normal (competent?) play. I'd be cautious of overestimating the ease with which you can run roughshod over the Ottomans (though in fairness, I'm commenting without knowing the details).
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Solmyr