News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Virgin Queen PBEM Recruitment

Started by Habbaku, May 09, 2012, 12:14:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maladict

How are you guys liking this game so far? And how does it compare to HIS?

Tamas

Quote from: Maladict on June 07, 2012, 02:07:08 AM
How are you guys liking this game so far? And how does it compare to HIS?

I THINK I like this one more, could be just novelty. Presumptions and spotty memories from old HiS games have only hindered me so far though. :P

ulmont

Hawkins and his treasure come back to the old world.

Berkut

Quote from: Tamas on June 07, 2012, 01:53:53 AM
He could be right this time, you know.

Unless Drakken continues to serve as a Spanish puppet, the Spanish army in OE is totally cut off, and I still outnumber the Spanish fleet 5 to 1.

The game now depends on the other players - if they support the Ottoman Empire, I can restore equilibrium this turn and Berkut will be stopped from winning. If they keep stuffing their heads to the sand, he will consolidate his gains and run off with the whole game.

Tell me Tamas, how do I "run off with the whole game" under any circumstances?

I have three Ottoman keys. I've lost two keys to the Protestants, and am likely to lose another, and lost a key to the HRE already.

I am not even ahead of where I started, much less in any danger of running off with anything. I don't have a single artist or scientist or piracy VP.

You got you tail kicked because I had the hand to do so, and you refused to make any kind of deal to avoid it. YOU are doing terribly, but that is pretty much just you.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Tamas

For starters, you are 3 keys away from a conquest victory.

Solmyr

I have a question about the rules for HIS, but it might apply to VQ as well. As far as I can see, mercenaries are exactly like regulars but cheaper, and have no special rules except that they can be affected by some events, is that correct?

Tamas

Quote from: Solmyr on June 07, 2012, 07:28:11 AM
I have a question about the rules for HIS, but it might apply to VQ as well. As far as I can see, mercenaries are exactly like regulars but cheaper, and have no special rules except that they can be affected by some events, is that correct?

yes. Those events are, however, extremely brutal if you rely on mercenaries too much.

Berkut

Wow, I am really dissapointed in this rule change, that you cannot transfer political control of spaces except back to their owning power.

It really puts a serious crimp in the diplomacy phase, especially considering you cannot sue for peace, nor get VPs for winning wars.

0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: Tamas on June 07, 2012, 07:28:02 AM

And where would I get three more keys?

0 rows returned

Berkut

Man, the more I think about it, the more I think this change from HiS is really, really, really bad.

No suing for peace, and no transferring political control of spaces (basically) means that there is no reason to go to war to take spaces outside your territory, unless you can win by doing so. You cannot turn a successful war into permanent VPs, for the most part. Taking more spaces/keys means nothing, at least insofar as giving you a better position to negotiate peace - taking more just means there is less reason for the winner to make peace at all.

0 rows returned

Maladict

Quote from: Berkut on June 07, 2012, 07:43:10 AM
Quote from: Tamas on June 07, 2012, 07:28:02 AM

And where would I get three more keys?

Tamas still has four, shouldn't be too hard  :P

Tamas

Quote from: Berkut on June 07, 2012, 08:13:03 AM
Man, the more I think about it, the more I think this change from HiS is really, really, really bad.

No suing for peace, and no transferring political control of spaces (basically) means that there is no reason to go to war to take spaces outside your territory, unless you can win by doing so. You cannot turn a successful war into permanent VPs, for the most part. Taking more spaces/keys means nothing, at least insofar as giving you a better position to negotiate peace - taking more just means there is less reason for the winner to make peace at all.

Yes. It makes de facto elimination of players a possible and feasible strategy, compared to HiS that is very lame.

Habbaku

Per some clarification with Ed on CSW, we actually did play Scottish Lords Rebel incorrectly.  Obviously, we aren't going to go back and fix it (we'll just assume that the whole thing was a wash, I figure), but what should have happened there is that, with England losing the roll, Edinburgh would become French again and the English troops displaced.

Just a note for how we'll resolve it moving forward.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

ulmont

Habs, that clarification is how I understood SLR to work, so I don't have a problem if you want to retcon it (I was expecting Edinburgh to revolt and realized I should not have bothered).

Habbaku

Fair enough for me; if you're comfortable with it, then I certainly am.  I'll send a file out correcting it momentarily.

While I'm at it; Drakken, did you ever specify what you wanted during winter?  1 regular, 2 mercs or 4 mercs to the pool?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien