Main Menu

Virgin Queen PBEM Recruitment

Started by Habbaku, May 09, 2012, 12:14:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Habbaku on May 10, 2012, 12:07:12 PM
Holy Roman Empire
Ottoman Empire

Really, you think the HRE is a bit more complex that OE, or is the difference just middling?

Tamas

I think I am fine with whatever. I was most interested in Ottomans, after reading the rules they appear to be a mostly tacked-on thing, altough still can be fun.

Habbaku

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 10, 2012, 12:18:47 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on May 10, 2012, 12:07:12 PM
Holy Roman Empire
Ottoman Empire

Really, you think the HRE is a bit more complex that OE, or is the difference just middling?

The HRE has to perform more diplomacy than the OE and generally has more options regarding what they spend their cards on (since they're always going to be fairly poor in relation to the others).  They also have to deal with more powers than the OE does, since they're adjacent to the French, Protestants, OE and Spain and have reason to make deals with England at times.

The OE, on the other hand, is a straightforward smash-things power.  Diplomacy will matter to them, but probably won't break their game like it will the HRE.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Quote from: Tamas on May 10, 2012, 12:25:08 PM
I think I am fine with whatever. I was most interested in Ottomans, after reading the rules they appear to be a mostly tacked-on thing, altough still can be fun.

I would say that the HRE is the more tacked-on power, really.  They are somewhat lacking in military power and relatively rudderless in what they should get up to.  The mechanic of selecting a side to favor for their end-game VPs (Protestant, Catholic or Balanced) is also somewhat silly.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

I would think the OE would have the edge on science and arts patronage over the HRE, but I haven't seen the VQ components yet.

garbon

I'm up for whatever. Spain does seem to have a large amount of tasks to balance.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Habbaku

If only so we can start plotting (and learn which parts of the rules we should focus on, for those learning the game), I'm going to go ahead and roll up sides.  The only exception I'll make is sticking someone experienced with HIS (IE, not Garbon or Drakken) into Spain's position.

Assuming that's good for everyone, I'll post some roles here shortly after making some rolls.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Per the rolls I made, we have the following power assignments :

Ottoman : Tamas
Spain : Berkut
England : Ulmont
France : Habbaku
HRE : Drakken
Protestants : Garbon

If anyone's uncomfortable with their assignments, feel free to chime in and we can make some executive switches.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

I'd rather see you as Spain, with Berkut as France.  And fahdiz as Bess of Hardwick, Countess of Shrewsbury.

Habbaku

I will lobby to play Spain next time, unless Berkut wants to switch this one.  :sleep:

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Berkut

Normally I would not care, but I sure as hell am not changing because Seedy wants me to.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Berkut on May 10, 2012, 08:00:20 PM
Normally I would not care, but I sure as hell am not changing because Seedy wants me to.

First your wife, now me. You're a heartbreaker.  :cry:

Drakken

I'm fine being HRE, i.e. the gangrape victim of Europe.

However, I'm not sure starting this weekend is such a good idea, Mother's Day and shit. :unsure:

Habbaku

:lol:  Trust me, the HRE isn't in a position to be gang-banged easily.  At worst, they are in a position to immediately have a war against the Ottomans, who do have a respectable army.  Of course, the Ottomans also start at war with the Spanish, so they have their own problems.

We aren't starting immediately, rest assured.  The CB module isn't out yet, after all and skipping a weekend isn't going to hurt anything.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Drakken on May 10, 2012, 09:01:10 PM
However, I'm not sure starting this weekend is such a good idea, Mother's Day and shit. :unsure:

Too goddamned bad.  Berkut will expect you to complete at least 6 turns that day.