12 (34.3%)
No
17 (48.6%)
Jaron's House of Gutless Waffling
6 (17.1%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Ed Anger

Quote from: Razgovory on May 10, 2012, 09:23:40 AM

No, they are just uninterested in women who aspire to be the "Painted lady" in the carnival freak show.

CORRECT!
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on May 10, 2012, 09:26:35 AM
Ah, they just aint into freaky ladies. Gotya :huh:

Not when they look like sailors, bikers or convicts, no.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Camerus

Some of those chicks might be hot if not for the tats.  A chick getting a tat - now there's a sin that doesn't go away.   :P

The Brain

Quote from: The Larch on May 10, 2012, 04:24:43 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on May 10, 2012, 04:15:45 AM
Quote from: The Larch on May 10, 2012, 03:54:21 AM
Quote from: Caliga on May 09, 2012, 09:58:51 PM
Quote from: The Larch on May 09, 2012, 08:17:40 PM
Jesus pogo dancing Christ, what a nightmare of a system. I guess that background checking has grown into such a multi million industry that it can't be erradicated anymore.
It's not a problem for most people, since most people are not convicted felons.  It also seems to me like it's a good way to encourage people to not commit felonies, if the word on the street is that employers do not like to hire criminals and all that.

But just so you whiny Euros feel better: I do know of cases where convicted felons have been (knowingly) hired.  I can't say I know of any cases where a convicted thief has been hired, but I know of hirings where the candidate was a convicted DUI or drug offender.

Further, as someone mentioned earlier in the thread, most states do have rehabilitation programs where the state partners with workforce development programs in order to actively help felons find jobs.  The company I worked for prior to my current employer actually did exactly that (among several other services that it provided).

You say convicted felons and it seems that we're talking about violent criminals that have been doing years and years in jail, but in this particular case it's a 40 yo shoplifting case, so here we have a middle aged woman getting fired for something she did when she was a teenager. Fucked up.
Not fucked up

Did she disclose it on her app? Apparently not. Did she forget? Did she purposely deceive WF? Who cares and neither should WF. There is someone else out there to take her place.

It's still fucked up. Once you've done your time/punishment then it's nobody's business, just between the justice department and the convicted person. We are talking about a damn shoplifter, not a convicted murderer.

:wacko:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

dps

Quote from: DGuller on May 10, 2012, 05:42:46 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on May 10, 2012, 05:14:12 AM
Maybe, maybe not. At any rate, she was dishonset and on her way back to the Filipino "Boom, Boom" house.
There is no maybe about it.  It was a federal law, not an employment policy.  Did you follow this discussion at all?

Hmm.  There's a word in that that makes me question whether or not thay had any discretion in the matter.
Quote"We are bound by federal law that generally prohibits us from hiring or continuing the employment of any person who we know has a criminal record involving dishonesty or breach of trust

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Camerus

Too bad for her she didn't just do some gay bashing back in '72 instead. 

The Larch

Quote from: Barrister on May 10, 2012, 08:49:59 AM
Quote from: The Larch on May 10, 2012, 03:54:21 AM
Quote from: Caliga on May 09, 2012, 09:58:51 PM
Jesus pogo dancing Christ, what a nightmare of a system. I guess that background checking has grown into such a multi million industry that it can't be erradicated anymore.
It's not a problem for most people, since most people are not convicted felons.  It also seems to me like it's a good way to encourage people to not commit felonies, if the word on the street is that employers do not like to hire criminals and all that.

But just so you whiny Euros feel better: I do know of cases where convicted felons have been (knowingly) hired.  I can't say I know of any cases where a convicted thief has been hired, but I know of hirings where the candidate was a convicted DUI or drug offender.

Further, as someone mentioned earlier in the thread, most states do have rehabilitation programs where the state partners with workforce development programs in order to actively help felons find jobs.  The company I worked for prior to my current employer actually did exactly that (among several other services that it provided).

You say convicted felons and it seems that we're talking about violent criminals that have been doing years and years in jail, but in this particular case it's a 40 yo shoplifting case, so here we have a middle aged woman getting fired for something she did when she was a teenager. Fucked up.

Being 40 years ago she had every opportunity to have it pardoned/expunged from her record.  She didn't.

Then when facing an employment application she chose not to disclose it.  Her choice.

She's not being fired for something she did as a teenager.  She's being fired for choices she made much later in life: not getting the convcition expunged, and not disclosing it.

Did she know that? Is it really logical to make people jump through so many bullshit hoops for that? Do you even get a record for something as petty as shoplifting? Still broken.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Caliga

Given what's happening with the EU economy right now I guess I am not surprised that y'all think stealing is "petty". :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Larch

11B4V

Quote from: The Larch on May 11, 2012, 06:46:54 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on May 11, 2012, 05:52:59 AM

Did she know that?

It asked her on the app :huh:

I mean the opportunity to get it removed from record.

I'm sure all she had to do was put forth a little effort.

If she didnt know how...google it.

Dishonest AND lazy