No
17 (48.6%)
Jaron's House of Gutless Waffling
6 (17.1%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Admiral Yi

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 10, 2012, 08:40:45 AM
Some nice looking backs in that tatoo array.  :)

Yes, pity they all look like they did time in Pelican Bay.

Neil

I'm sure tattoos are fine, if you like disgusting whores who hate themselves.

Actually, come to think of it, should those things work like catnip for CdMs?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

Quote from: The Larch on May 10, 2012, 03:54:21 AM
Quote from: Caliga on May 09, 2012, 09:58:51 PM
Quote from: The Larch on May 09, 2012, 08:17:40 PM
Jesus pogo dancing Christ, what a nightmare of a system. I guess that background checking has grown into such a multi million industry that it can't be erradicated anymore.
It's not a problem for most people, since most people are not convicted felons.  It also seems to me like it's a good way to encourage people to not commit felonies, if the word on the street is that employers do not like to hire criminals and all that.

But just so you whiny Euros feel better: I do know of cases where convicted felons have been (knowingly) hired.  I can't say I know of any cases where a convicted thief has been hired, but I know of hirings where the candidate was a convicted DUI or drug offender.

Further, as someone mentioned earlier in the thread, most states do have rehabilitation programs where the state partners with workforce development programs in order to actively help felons find jobs.  The company I worked for prior to my current employer actually did exactly that (among several other services that it provided).

You say convicted felons and it seems that we're talking about violent criminals that have been doing years and years in jail, but in this particular case it's a 40 yo shoplifting case, so here we have a middle aged woman getting fired for something she did when she was a teenager. Fucked up.

Being 40 years ago she had every opportunity to have it pardoned/expunged from her record.  She didn't.

Then when facing an employment application she chose not to disclose it.  Her choice.

She's not being fired for something she did as a teenager.  She's being fired for choices she made much later in life: not getting the convcition expunged, and not disclosing it.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

More US criminal-background-checking fun:

http://www.globaltvedmonton.com/calgary+senior+denied+entry+to+us+because+of+old+shoplifting+charge/6442638030/story.html

A Calgary senior has been refused permission to cross the U.S. border because of a shoplifting charge dating back decades.

80-year-old Rose Gordon is now looking at spending $600 for a federal pardon, all over a bag of peanuts.

Gordon and her daughter Lolly have been taking trips to the U.S. for years.

But before a recent bus tour to Idaho, Gordon was called by U.S. Customs who informed her that since she had a criminal record, she would not be allowed to cross the border.

Gordon says she vaguely remembers a shoplifting incident when she was young involving a bag of peanuts, but she can't believe she poses a threat to U.S. security.

Zero tolerance strikes again.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Were you guys aware that a DUI conviction in the last 5 years prohibits a US citizen from visiting Canada?

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on May 09, 2012, 09:58:51 PM
It's not a problem for most people, since most people are not convicted felons.  It also seems to me like it's a good way to encourage people to not commit felonies, if the word on the street is that employers do not like to hire criminals and all that.

Pretty sure people have known this in this country for centuries.  The crime rate has not really been impacted much.  What evidence exactly makes you think this?  Do you really think people carefully think through most crimes and weigh benefits and downsides and carefully consider the impact it may have on their resume?  If people did do this we would just make death by firing squad the penalty for every crime and eliminate criminal activity forever.

Most people commit crimes when they are young and stupid, it seems pretty absurd to have that damn them for life.  I think it is mostly about covering your ass from lawsuits than heroicly trying to show how crime doesn't pay.

In fact the policy seems more likely to create career criminals since you put people in a position where that is what they may have to do, or force society to support ex-cons on welfare rather than allowing them to be productive and contribute.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 10, 2012, 09:00:00 AM
Were you guys aware that a DUI conviction in the last 5 years prohibits a US citizen from visiting Canada?
They are known to be a heartless people.
PDH!

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 10, 2012, 09:00:00 AM

Well that changes my plan of taking hard drugs and driving around town now that this brutal deterrent has been brough to my attention.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: 11B4V on May 10, 2012, 09:14:58 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on May 10, 2012, 08:42:13 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 10, 2012, 08:34:40 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on May 10, 2012, 08:34:13 AM
Re: The tat pics:

GROSS

Motion seconded.

The motion has carried.

You guys are on crack.

No, they are just uninterested in women who aspire to be the "Painted lady" in the carnival freak show.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on May 10, 2012, 09:23:40 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on May 10, 2012, 09:14:58 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on May 10, 2012, 08:42:13 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 10, 2012, 08:34:40 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on May 10, 2012, 08:34:13 AM
Re: The tat pics:

GROSS

Motion seconded.

The motion has carried.

You guys are on crack.

No, they are just uninterested in women who aspire to be the "Painted lady" in the carnival freak show.

Ah, they just aint into freaky ladies. Gotya :huh:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!