12 (34.3%)
No
17 (48.6%)
Jaron's House of Gutless Waffling
6 (17.1%)

Total Members Voted: 34

jimmy olsen

Ridiculous

http://bottomline.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/05/07/11578176-wells-fargo-fires-employee-for-72-shoplifting-conviction?lite
QuoteBy Tom Murray , WTMJ News Team

MILWAUKEE — A Milwaukee woman is now unemployed after Wells Fargo, her employer, discovered she committed a crime more than 40 years ago.

Yolanda Quesada was fired when a background check revealed she shoplifted in 1972.

(This story originally appeared on WTMJ's web site.)

"[I'm] very good at what I do for Wells Fargo," Quesada says.

Quesada says she was a good employee, and has the pins, certificates and photos to prove it. But her supervisor walked her out the door last week after more than five years of service at Wells Fargo.

"I think there's more important things in life than something I did 40 years ago," Quesada says.

"I did do the crime and, you know, I had just come out of high school."

Quesada says she worked in phone customer service and never handled cash.

"We are bound by federal law that generally prohibits us from hiring or continuing the employment of any person who we know has a criminal record involving dishonesty or breach of trust," a spokesman for Wells Fargo told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.

Quesada wants her job back, but her termination letter says she's no longer eligible to work at Wells Fargo.

"I think I should get it back because it's something I did 40 years ago," Quesada says.

"I paid for it. I've changed my life."
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Quote"I think I should get it back because it's something I did 40 years ago," Quesada says.

"I paid for it. I've changed my life."

Convict's a convict. So solly.

Neil

It's an American bank.  Everyone who works there should be fired for dishonesty.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

DGuller

I don't know which PR is worse for Wells Fargo:  the fact they fire someone for a minor crime committed four decsdes ago, or that they let people work there for five years without doing a bsckground check on them.

MadImmortalMan

"We are bound by federal law that generally prohibits us from hiring or continuing the employment of any person who we know has a criminal record involving dishonesty or breach of trust,"

So, yeah. No choice.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Tonitrus

Which crimes don't involve dishonesty or breach of trust?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tonitrus on May 07, 2012, 05:45:11 PM

Smashing in a stranger's skull with a baseball bat.

DGuller

Quote from: Tonitrus on May 07, 2012, 05:45:11 PM
Armed robbery, but only if you're not bluffing when making threats.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 07, 2012, 05:38:15 PM

"We are bound by federal law that generally prohibits us from hiring or continuing the employment of any person who we know has a criminal record involving dishonesty or breach of trust,"

So, yeah. No choice.
I didn't ask whether they had a choice, I asked whether it was just.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

grumbler

40 years ago she shoplifted; five years ago, she lied on the application when she said she hadn't been convicted of that crime.

I don't see the problem.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Caliga

Quote from: grumbler on May 07, 2012, 06:08:44 PM
40 years ago she shoplifted; five years ago, she lied on the application when she said she hadn't been convicted of that crime.

I don't see the problem.
:yes:

I love how the article conveniently forgets to remind Joe Sixpack of that fact.  I guarantee you that she was asked to disclose prior convictions on her application and lied.  Every company ALWAYS asks those questions as part of the hiring process, especially one as big as Wells Fargo.

FYI, crimes of a financial nature like this one (other examples are theft by deception, check fraud, etc.) will always disqualify you from working at a financial institution.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on May 07, 2012, 06:19:33 PM

I don't see the problem.
:yes:

I love how the article conveniently forgets to remind Joe Sixpack of that fact.  I guarantee you that she was asked to disclose prior convictions on her application and lied.  Every company ALWAYS asks those questions as part of the hiring process, especially one as big as Wells Fargo.

FYI, crimes of a financial nature like this one (other examples are theft by deception, check fraud, etc.) will always disqualify you from working at a financial institution.

I agree with both my collegues Mssrs Grumbler and Caliga.

In addition, I hope she never gets a job ever again that pays over 10/hr. WELCOME TO BARNES AND NOBLES BITCH.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Darth Wagtaros

I don't see the problem.
Yes.  That is kind of a biggie.
PDH!

Scipio

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on May 08, 2012, 08:41:35 AM

I don't see the problem.
Yes.  That is kind of a biggie.
Lying is bad, mmkay?
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt