No
17 (48.6%)
Jaron's House of Gutless Waffling
6 (17.1%)

Total Members Voted: 34

DGuller

Quote from: DontSayBanana on May 09, 2012, 02:43:10 PM
Quote from: Malthus on May 09, 2012, 02:33:43 PM
But from what I've heard, employees typically ask the question for *all* jobs.

While only financial type jobs are absolute disqualifications, what's your chances with other types of jobs if they ask and you say "yes"?

Speaking as someone who has a smudge on his own record, it comes up in the interview; you just have to be ready to tackle it head-on: "Yes, I was young and dumb; here's what happened, and here's what I've taken away from the incident, so you can be sure it's over and done with."

Recidivism is so prevalent in the US that employers just want to make sure they're hiring an okay candidate and not just enabling an idiot that hasn't learned their lesson.  Missing days for court appearances or detention can really put the crimp on an employee's productivity, after all.
Getting to the interview stage may itself be a problem.

Monoriu

Quote from: Malthus on May 09, 2012, 02:31:28 PM

What happens if someone fills out the application and says they have a conviction, like a 40 year old shoplifting conviction? Does it go to the bottom of the pile?

We never put such applications to the bottom.

We throw them away  :menace:

The Larch

Jesus pogo dancing Christ, what a nightmare of a system. I guess that background checking has grown into such a multi million industry that it can't be erradicated anymore.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: DGuller on May 09, 2012, 06:35:21 PM
Getting to the interview stage may itself be a problem.

True, but that's always been my problem anyway, so I didn't personally notice much change- which is funny, because I can count on one hand the number of times I've been interviewed and didn't actually get the job.  And I've held my fair share of jobs- the one I'm at right now is the longest I've spent at a single job since 2007.
Experience bij!

11B4V

Quote from: DontSayBanana on May 09, 2012, 02:23:06 PM
You're ignoring an important distinction, DG- this is ONLY an albatross where financial institutions are concerned.

I wouldnt say that.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Caliga

Quote from: The Larch on May 09, 2012, 08:17:40 PM
Jesus pogo dancing Christ, what a nightmare of a system. I guess that background checking has grown into such a multi million industry that it can't be erradicated anymore.
It's not a problem for most people, since most people are not convicted felons.  It also seems to me like it's a good way to encourage people to not commit felonies, if the word on the street is that employers do not like to hire criminals and all that.

But just so you whiny Euros feel better: I do know of cases where convicted felons have been (knowingly) hired.  I can't say I know of any cases where a convicted thief has been hired, but I know of hirings where the candidate was a convicted DUI or drug offender.

Further, as someone mentioned earlier in the thread, most states do have rehabilitation programs where the state partners with workforce development programs in order to actively help felons find jobs.  The company I worked for prior to my current employer actually did exactly that (among several other services that it provided).
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Barrister

Here in Alberta I find the opposite - dirtbag shows up in court with a horrendous record as long as your arm and says "but I just started a new job".

I go "really?  Somebody hired you?????"

And sure enough they have a job.

Shows what a good labour shortage will do for an economy.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ideologue

Quote from: Malthus on May 09, 2012, 02:33:43 PM
Quote from: DontSayBanana on May 09, 2012, 02:23:06 PM
You're ignoring an important distinction, DG- this is ONLY an albatross where financial institutions are concerned.

As a further note, she lied because she was intent on getting the job.  That's pretty much the description of "unscrupulous," and exactly the reason crimes involving "breach of trust" are a disqualification in the first place.

She disqualified herself from working for the employer.  This is part of the reason workforce development/employee re-training programs exist.

But from what I've heard, employees typically ask the question for *all* jobs.

While only financial type jobs are absolute disqualifications, what's your chances with other types of jobs if they ask and you say "yes"?

Rather low.  I'm rather certain it's what cost me the job at Consumer Protection.

Fortunately my current employer never asked, they just got me to sign a release.  I expect they've never actually ran a background check, but I dunno.  Could wake up with an email telling me I've been fired, I guess. :shrug:

One of these days I'm gonna have to see if I can get that simple assault expunged.  I think that's the offensive one.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Brain

In my industry we routinely do all kinds of background checks. :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

11B4V

The Larch

Quote from: Caliga on May 09, 2012, 09:58:51 PM
It's not a problem for most people, since most people are not convicted felons.  It also seems to me like it's a good way to encourage people to not commit felonies, if the word on the street is that employers do not like to hire criminals and all that.

But just so you whiny Euros feel better: I do know of cases where convicted felons have been (knowingly) hired.  I can't say I know of any cases where a convicted thief has been hired, but I know of hirings where the candidate was a convicted DUI or drug offender.

Further, as someone mentioned earlier in the thread, most states do have rehabilitation programs where the state partners with workforce development programs in order to actively help felons find jobs.  The company I worked for prior to my current employer actually did exactly that (among several other services that it provided).

You say convicted felons and it seems that we're talking about violent criminals that have been doing years and years in jail, but in this particular case it's a 40 yo shoplifting case, so here we have a middle aged woman getting fired for something she did when she was a teenager. Fucked up.

11B4V

Quote from: The Larch on May 10, 2012, 03:54:21 AM

You say convicted felons and it seems that we're talking about violent criminals that have been doing years and years in jail, but in this particular case it's a 40 yo shoplifting case, so here we have a middle aged woman getting fired for something she did when she was a teenager. Fucked up.
Not fucked up

Did she disclose it on her app? Apparently not. Did she forget? Did she purposely deceive WF? Who cares and neither should WF. There is someone else out there to take her place.   

The Larch

Quote from: 11B4V on May 10, 2012, 04:15:45 AM
Quote from: The Larch on May 10, 2012, 03:54:21 AM

Not fucked up

Did she disclose it on her app? Apparently not. Did she forget? Did she purposely deceive WF? Who cares and neither should WF. There is someone else out there to take her place.

It's still fucked up. Once you've done your time/punishment then it's nobody's business, just between the justice department and the convicted person. We are talking about a damn shoplifter, not a convicted murderer.