Argentine Olympic advert calls Falklands "Argentine soil"

Started by Brazen, May 04, 2012, 06:23:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Richard Hakluyt

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Martim Silva on May 06, 2012, 08:28:11 AM
Do these people look like frenchies or canucks?

Poll worker dude and the chick in white both look very French to me.

Duque de Bragança

Fun fact : almost two-thirds of them voted for Flanby according to RTBF.

Valmy

I don't think so, because I often correct those 'Malvinas' people [i.e. basically everybody] that a war was fought over the isles to keep them called 'Falklands'. The reaction is invariably a 'not in my book, they're not'.

Just how often do these islands come up in conversations in Portugal?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Habsburg

The Falkland Islands are UK territory, pls move on.com

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on May 06, 2012, 10:17:40 PM
I don't think so, because I often correct those 'Malvinas' people [i.e. basically everybody] that a war was fought over the isles to keep them called 'Falklands'. The reaction is invariably a 'not in my book, they're not'.

Just how often do these islands come up in conversations in Portugal?

Seldom if at all nowadays, except perhaps for some leftists and I'm sure they have better things to do now.

Valdemar

Quote from: Martinus on May 04, 2012, 07:50:38 AM
Quote from: Brazen on May 04, 2012, 07:48:03 AM
What do you recommend then Mart? Each country only gets the piece of land on which its capital is based then can only bid for other islands or territories within 500 miles of its coastline or borders?

Well, there is no hard and fast rule, but it's one of these "I know it when I see it" cases. I think a situation in which one country holds sovereignty over an isolated and very small piece of land located just off the border/shore of another country is extremely bizarre.

So sovereignity is to be decided by what YOU think is right and proper?  :wacko:

They voted, they dont want to be argentine, argentina only want the seabed... get over it marti, argentina doesn't have a case, its all blustering like the nationalisation of spanish oil companies by South american governments.

V

Grey Fox

Quote from: Duque de Bragança
Some Portuguese people see them as the Argentine Olivença ? ;)

Just because you call them Malvinas does not translate necessarily into support. Most Portuguese don't care or don't know nowadays.
The French call them Malouines as well but that does not translate into real sympathy. The Argentine Junta  has never been exactly popular and some see this war as the way Thatcher managed to stay on power so colour me skeptical.

Btw, the French elections are on and they started in St. Pierre and Miquelon:

Do these people look like frenchies or canucks?

OMG, so much smugness it's unbearable.

French. French.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.