Argentine Olympic advert calls Falklands "Argentine soil"

Started by Brazen, May 04, 2012, 06:23:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 04, 2012, 12:07:58 PM
Quote from: Syt on May 04, 2012, 12:01:49 PM
Are you accusing him of . . . trolling? Mart??? :o

Not strictly speaking.  He very well could buy into his own narrative about heroically speaking unpopular trurths.
:D

Martim Silva

Quote from: derspiess on May 04, 2012, 12:29:10 PM
Is Euro sympathy toward Argentina re: 'Malvinas' a lefty thing?

Not so much Euro, but rather more an Iberian/South American vs. Anglo-Saxons thing... over here, everybody calls the islands 'Malvinas' and don't see them as a rightful part of the UK.

It's a clash of cultures, really.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martim Silva on May 04, 2012, 01:16:25 PM

More like a violation of the Rio Treaty, the OAS, and The Monroe Doctrine.

derspiess

Quote from: Martim Silva on May 04, 2012, 01:16:25 PM
Quote from: derspiess on May 04, 2012, 12:29:10 PM
Is Euro sympathy toward Argentina re: 'Malvinas' a lefty thing?

Not so much Euro, but rather more an Iberian/South American vs. Anglo-Saxons thing... over here, everybody calls the islands 'Malvinas' and don't see them as a rightful part of the UK.

IIRC, there is (or was) some French sympathy as well.  Wonder what the guidos think?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Neil

The Monroe doctrine isn't binding on the civilized world, and has long been abandoned.  The Rio Treaty sees the Argentinians as the aggressors.

Also, Poland should be ruled from Krakow, by Hans Frank.

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Berkut

What is odd is Marty claiming that this makes LESS sense today than in the past, when the opposite is in fact true.

Technology has made physical locality less for a relevant political factor to governance, culture, and economics than in the past, not more so.

"In this day and age" actual cultural and political ties are vastly more meaningful than measuring distances on a map.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Legbiter

The Falklands are far out of Argentina's 200 mile economic exclusive zone but more importantly the kelpers want to overwhelmingly remain British. I hope Kirchner chokes on a dick.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Berkut

While I certainly support our special allies in regards to the Falklands (after all, who cares where some piece of land is - what matters is what the people want a lot more than where the spot of dirt they are living happens to be located, especially when it is a spot of dirt in the middle of the ocean), I don't really see the advert as especially egregious.

Argentina thinks the Falklands should be theirs, the Brits don't agree. As long as the Argies don't engage in violence to press their claim, they have every right to engage in some propaganda to try to convince people to support the claim. It won't really work, I don't think, since the people they need to convince aren't going to be convinced by such things.

Certainly whining about "politicizing the Olympics" is silly - that shipped sailed a long time ago.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Brain

Argies are the Greeks of the Americas. Generally despised and thoroughly degenerate.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Zoupa

Quote from: JonasSalk on May 04, 2012, 01:06:48 PM
One of these days, mighty Canada will finally retrieve Saint Pierre and Miquelon from the vile French oppressors from far across the Impassable Ocean of the Atlantic. God Wills It™.

SSBNs, Rafales and the Charles de Gaulle spit in your God's face :frog:

Razgovory

Quote from: Zoupa on May 04, 2012, 09:14:26 PM
One of these days, mighty Canada will finally retrieve Saint Pierre and Miquelon from the vile French oppressors from far across the Impassable Ocean of the Atlantic. God Wills It™.

SSBNs, Rafales and the Charles de Gaulle spit in your God's face :frog:

Unlikely.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

But, unlike the argies, we actually value local self-determination. :huh:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Richard Hakluyt

They are only 20km or so from Canada and only have about 6,000 inhabitants, the difference is that the Canadians are not arseholes  :cool:

The advert was produced by the local subsidiary of a British advertising firm btw, the profits will flow back to London :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-17963577

Josquius

Countries should rule places close to them- how do you define where the country is? I mean...are the Falklands closer to Argentina than Britain? Aren't they closer to Britain with a grand distance of 0km what with being British?
Or is the capital of a country how you define the country?
I remember once in a fit of bordom making a map which redrew the borders of Europe on account of which land was closer to which capital. Messed things up a fair bit.

Do Canadians and French people know about the existance of those islands?
I only found out about them accidentally a few years ago. And apparently most Brits had no idea about the Falklands' existance before the war.
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Quote from: Tyr on May 05, 2012, 12:51:32 AM

Do Canadians and French people know about the existance of those islands?
I only found out about them accidentally a few years ago. And apparently most Brits had no idea about the Falklands' existance before the war.

I dunno about most Canadians, but I knew about St. Pierre from a book by a reasonably famous Canadian author Farley Mowatt: The Boat that Wouldn't Float.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.