Argentine Olympic advert calls Falklands "Argentine soil"

Started by Brazen, May 04, 2012, 06:23:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on May 04, 2012, 07:50:38 AM
Well, there is no hard and fast rule, but it's one of these "I know it when I see it" cases. I think a situation in which one country holds sovereignty over an isolated and very small piece of land located just off the border/shore of another country is extremely bizarre.

If it is so bizarre and ridiculous you should be able to at least come up with a reason that is somewhat convincing.  I see nothing bizarre about it, extremely or slightly, due to the history of the Americas we have situations exactly like this all over the place.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on May 04, 2012, 09:03:50 AM
I think many Argies would favor that approach.  The problem is their bitch president and all the idiots who voted for her.

Every time I think Argentina can't get any worse, it does.  They just nationalized YPF.  WTF.

Yeah she is the first Argie politician to be hamfisted about the Falklands deal :P

And yes Argentina is a constant disaster zone.  I can see why those three thousand Falklanders would just assume stay with the UK.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on May 04, 2012, 09:05:37 AM
Quote from: Martinus on May 04, 2012, 07:50:38 AM
Well, there is no hard and fast rule, but it's one of these "I know it when I see it" cases. I think a situation in which one country holds sovereignty over an isolated and very small piece of land located just off the border/shore of another country is extremely bizarre.

If it is so bizarre and ridiculous you should be able to at least come up with a reason that is somewhat convincing.  I see nothing bizarre about it, extremely or slightly, due to the history of the Americas we have situations exactly like this all over the place.

I have an example for you.

Ownership of a number of the islands in the Canadian high arctic were discovered by Norwegians, and thus they Norway arguably owned them by right of discovery.  Those rights were ultimately sold to the UK in the early part of the 20th century, and then transfered to Canada.  I gather this was because Norway had no feasible way to control or exploit those islands and that they were clearly a part of the overall arctic archipelago which was owned by the UK.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

:huh: If Argentina wanted to buy the islands and the UK wanted to sell them I'm sure a deal could be made.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: The Brain on May 04, 2012, 09:16:33 AM
:huh: If Argentina wanted to buy the islands and the UK wanted to sell them I'm sure a deal could be made.

Yep.  But that would first require Argentina to admit they actually belong to the UK first.  Plus Argentina has no money.

Syt

They could trade them against nationalized Spanish companies.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on May 04, 2012, 09:11:23 AM
I have an example for you.

Ownership of a number of the islands in the Canadian high arctic were discovered by Norwegians, and thus they Norway arguably owned them by right of discovery.  Those rights were ultimately sold to the UK in the early part of the 20th century, and then transfered to Canada.  I gather this was because Norway had no feasible way to control or exploit those islands and that they were clearly a part of the overall arctic archipelago which was owned by the UK.

Well in Canada there is St Pierre and Miquelon.

Valmy

Brazen

We should tell Argentina they're welcome to the Falklands if they win more medals than us at the Olympics  :contract:

Martinus

Quote from: barkdreg on May 04, 2012, 08:24:28 AM
Give the Falklands to Argentina. It's a nice precedent for when the Germans reclaim some of that territory to the east.

See, that's where you fail with retorts like this directed at me - I have consistently claimed that Poland would be better off if ruled from Berlin (or Stockholm, for that matter) than from Warsaw (or Moscow or Vatican).

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on May 04, 2012, 09:08:03 AM
Yeah she is the first Argie politician to be hamfisted about the Falklands deal :P

I'd say by far she's been the worst since the junta.

QuoteAnd yes Argentina is a constant disaster zone.  I can see why those three thousand Falklanders would just assume stay with the UK.

So much potential there, so much former greatness.  Shows you what damage unfettered populism can do over time.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

I don't see you can catch Marty in an inconsistency on this one.  He lives in a country that's circular.  By definition it has no irregular territorial appendages.

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 04, 2012, 09:59:54 AM
I don't see you can catch Marty in an inconsistency on this one.  He lives in a country that's circular.  By definition it has no irregular territorial appendages.

Not to mention, our borders are pretty natural - two rivers on the Western and the Eastern border, a sea shore in the North and a mountain range in the South.

And all it took were two world wars and a bunch of genocides. :P

Razgovory

Did someone spike Marty coffee with an extra dose of stupid?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Yeah but it took two devastating wars where we redrew the map of Europe twice to get it in such a pleasing shape.