Argentine Olympic advert calls Falklands "Argentine soil"

Started by Brazen, May 04, 2012, 06:23:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Martinus

Quote from: Brazen on May 04, 2012, 07:48:03 AM
What do you recommend then Mart? Each country only gets the piece of land on which its capital is based then can only bid for other islands or territories within 500 miles of its coastline or borders?

Well, there is no hard and fast rule, but it's one of these "I know it when I see it" cases. I think a situation in which one country holds sovereignty over an isolated and very small piece of land located just off the border/shore of another country is extremely bizarre.

The Brain

Poland is a lot closer to Russia than the Falklands are to Argentina.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

I hope next time the Brits lob a few fusion bombs on the Argies. Shut them up a bit.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Martinus on May 04, 2012, 07:50:38 AM
Well, there is no hard and fast rule, but it's one of these "I know it when I see it" cases. I think a situation in which one country holds sovereignty over an isolated and very small piece of land located just off the border/shore of another country is extremely bizarre.
They're not that close, it's 300 miles away, not Tierra del Fuego.  I mean the Canaries, to use your earlier example, are closer to Morocco.
Let's bomb Russia!

PDH

Quote from: The Brain on May 04, 2012, 07:57:26 AM
I hope next time the Brits lob a few fusion bombs on the Argies. Shut them up a bit.

That's your solution for everything.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

PDH

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 04, 2012, 07:58:49 AM

They're not that close, it's 300 miles away, not Tierra del Fuego.  I mean the Canaries, to use your earlier example, are closer to Morocco.

It seems a lot closer on the map, like a quarter inch or so.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Syt

Or Rhodes (and countless other Greek isles) to Turkey.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

barkdreg

Give the Falklands to Argentina. It's a nice precedent for when the Germans reclaim some of that territory to the east.

Syt

Quote from: barkdreg on May 04, 2012, 08:24:28 AM
Give the Falklands to Argentina. It's a nice precedent for when the Germans reclaim some of that territory to the east.

Except that Germany renounced all such claims.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

PDH

-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM

HVC

Quote from: Syt on May 04, 2012, 08:27:43 AM
Quote from: barkdreg on May 04, 2012, 08:24:28 AM

Except that Germany renounced all such claims.
Hey, if you can renounce them you unrenounce them. nounce, re-renounce... whatever you can get them back :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Brain

Quote from: Syt on May 04, 2012, 08:07:38 AM

Or Rhodes (and countless other Greek isles) to Turkey.

:huh: No man is an island.

Barrister

You'd think the Argies would try a " you win more friends with honey" approach, if they were serious about getting the islands.  Immediately open up access to the Islands, try and be a good neighbour, then in a few years offer a deal somewhat similar to what Hong Kong got - substantial self-rule, guarantees about the English language, allow dual citizenship.  There would be substantial benefits to Falklanders to being tied more closely to South America, and the UK itself would love to give up the cost of defending the Islands.

But of course the Argies aren't serious...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on May 04, 2012, 08:49:00 AM
You'd think the Argies would try a " you win more friends with honey" approach, if they were serious about getting the islands.  Immediately open up access to the Islands, try and be a good neighbour, then in a few years offer a deal somewhat similar to what Hong Kong got - substantial self-rule, guarantees about the English language, allow dual citizenship.  There would be substantial benefits to Falklanders to being tied more closely to South America, and the UK itself would love to give up the cost of defending the Islands.

But of course the Argies aren't serious...

I think many Argies would favor that approach.  The problem is their bitch president and all the idiots who voted for her.

Every time I think Argentina can't get any worse, it does.  They just nationalized YPF.  WTF.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall