And we're back!

Main Menu

I am against incest.

Started by Phillip V, May 05, 2009, 04:20:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Eddie Teach

I agree with the Polack, incest between adults should be simply taboo and not illegal. The government should not be in the habit of enforcing taboos.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Viking

Queen Victoria, when asked to sign legislation outlawing lesbianism as buggery previously been, refused to sign the legislation on the grounds that she could not conceive of the idea that such a practice might exist.

I don't know if we or anybody else really knows how much sibling or cousin incest there is. In addition to Oedipal lust for parents there should be similar lust for siblings or cousins. I don't really want to opine on laws against consensual sex between adult relatives until we have some sort of idea of how common it is.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Caliga

I just don't get what motivates politicians to put the effort into banning things like this (same goes for gay marriage).  When I see politicians obsessing over people's private lives and victimless "crimes", I worry that they are bored and need more to do.  Perhaps we should stage a fake attack from "over the Canadian border" on one of our radio stations.  That should keep them busy.  :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Caliga on May 06, 2009, 07:00:52 AM
I just don't get what motivates politicians to put the effort into banning things like this

:huh:

The public either agrees or doesn't care and no politician wants to be known as "that guy who supports incest."
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 06, 2009, 07:03:51 AM
no politician wants to be known as "that guy who supports incest."

Are people really that stupid?  Wait, don't answer that.  :Embarrass:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on May 06, 2009, 07:00:52 AM
I just don't get what motivates politicians to put the effort into banning things like this (same goes for gay marriage).  When I see politicians obsessing over people's private lives and victimless "crimes", I worry that they are bored and need more to do.  Perhaps we should stage a fake attack from "over the Canadian border" on one of our radio stations.  That should keep them busy.  :)

Usually the motivation is in reaction to a specific scandal or incident they can play up for political points.  If a big incest or zoophilia scandal is in the news then some Pol will try to score points by getting a law passed.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

AnchorClanker

I sense that we've danced around this without making it clear; the taboo is in place because of the chance of
birth defects resulting from a child from an incestuous relationship.  The taboo is not 'ooh, gross', although it
has that dimension NOW due to the taboo being in place for so long.

I also fail to see the comparison between incest and homosexuality, although I understand that both were
illegal... homosexual regulations was religion put into law, and the incest regulations were taboo made into law.
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

Malthus

Quote from: AnchorClanker on May 06, 2009, 09:57:09 AM
I sense that we've danced around this without making it clear; the taboo is in place because of the chance of
birth defects resulting from a child from an incestuous relationship.  The taboo is not 'ooh, gross', although it
has that dimension NOW due to the taboo being in place for so long.

I also fail to see the comparison between incest and homosexuality, although I understand that both were
illegal... homosexual regulations was religion put into law, and the incest regulations were taboo made into law.

I dunno if this is the only origin of the taboo - after all, we generally frown on father/son incest as much as on father/daughter incest, though there is no possibility of birth defects in the former case.

I strongly suspect that the "ewww" reaction is a reaction against what is seen as a perversion of the loving bond between family members - an abuse of the responsibility that family members have towards each other not to exploit each other. The notion is that a *genuine* loving sexual relationship under such circumstances is very unlikely, and much, much more common is a relationship based on exploitation of love on the one side for base gratification of lust on the other side ("I'll do anything daddy wants, because he's my daddy").
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

DisturbedPervert

Even a lot of animals will avoid incest.  The aversion to it is built in.

Neil

Quote from: AnchorClanker on May 06, 2009, 09:57:09 AM
I also fail to see the comparison between incest and homosexuality
Both are gross and wrong.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Tamas

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on May 06, 2009, 10:22:46 AM

Yes. But that is also one more thing to make a banning law futile.

Phillip V

And a lot of animals avoid fucking fat fucks, but people like you still get laid.

Neil

Quote from: Phillip V on May 06, 2009, 10:43:45 AM
And a lot of animals avoid fucking fat fucks, but people like you still get laid.
Is that true?  Generally large size is looked at as a positive.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Phillip V on May 06, 2009, 10:43:45 AM

And a lot of animals avoid fucking dwarves, but people like you still get laid.